How do you deal with hunger?

Hi, I am working on losing 60 lbs but I find it difficult because I start feeling very hungry when I am eating less than I burn even a little and start to want to just eat a bunch of food in one sitting. How do you deal with the hungry feeling? I don't like it and feel it almost constantly. Do you get used to it?

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    jdbly3373 wrote: »
    Hi, I am working on losing 60 lbs but I find it difficult because I start feeling very hungry when I am eating less than I burn even a little and start to want to just eat a bunch of food in one sitting. How do you deal with the hungry feeling? I don't like it and feel it almost constantly. Do you get used to it?

Many people because of habitual behavior just want to eat or chew on something. When I used to compete, it was tough to diet for it because I was so used to eating so many meals in a day and snacking. I just basically had to change what I snacked on. So I switched to celery. Well after a while of doing that, I really didn't care for celery anymore and stopped snacking. But that's just me.
    You can still snack, but overall you HAVE TO BE ACCOUNTABLE for you overall calories in a day. So my suggestion is if you feel you have to eat, make sure to pick something low calorie and just have ONE SERVING of it and stop. This takes getting used to, so you need to be disciplined and do it for a few weeks to get used to the new behavior.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Agree with this. One has to determine if they are TRUELY hungry (i.e., their body physically needs food) or they THINK they are hungry and are eating out of habit, boredom, etc.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    jdbly3373 wrote: »

I'm guessing you chose the weekly weight loss goal of two pounds per week, which many of us do when we first start. If so, drop it to a pound a week until you get used to the new lower amount of calories. You can then try 1.5 pounds per week until you only have 50 pounds to lose, or just keep it at 1 pound per week.

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg

If that is not applicable, look at your macros. I am satiated with protein and fiber. I swapped out sodium for fiber and kept a close eye on it until I was regularly hitting my fiber goal.

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Other people are satiated by fat and love plans like keto. Yet others are volume eaters, as mentioned above. Find what works for you :)
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Try to figure out which foods keep you full longer. I do better with eggs for breakfast or lunch than cereal or bread when I'm trying to lose weight as the protein helps make me feel full for a longer period of time. For a snack, an apple or cheese will last longer than a cookie. A dinner with lots of vegetables and fiber fill me up.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    When dieting, I maintain a reasonable deficit...500 calories from my TDEE is basically a couple of small snacks...not really anything that is going to make or break me hunger wise. I focus on foods that keep me going...lots of vegetables, high fiber foods like oats, beans, lentils, etc...good amount of protein, etc. I can have a breakfast of a few scrambled eggs and some whole grain toast with butter and cinnamon...or I can have a doughnut for roughly the same calories...the actual breakfast is going to keep me going much longer.

I recognize that some level of hunger is completely normal...especially before a meal. I learned that I didn't have to be "full" all of the time. I also recognize that sometimes hunger isn't really hunger...it's often boredom, or even just habitual eating when doing certain things like sitting down to watch some tv or a movie. Sometimes "hunger" is actually just a craving for something...like yesterday, I had a craving for this delicious Vermont white cheddar my wife had just bought...I wasn't hungry at all...but I sliced off a nice hunk anyway.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    For me: Distraction, water (sometimes flavored water like Bubly) and gum! It's also perfectly okay to feel a little hungry at times, something I really had to work on. I tell myself a little bit of hunger is okay and perfectly normal. I have a history of starting very restrictive diets at a young age that eventually led to restrict/binge cycles, so part of me thinks if I let myself get too hungry I will binge.

However, I definitely agree with others to look at your weight loss goal and possibly upping your calorie limit so you are losing at a more sustainable pace. The last time I took off some weight (not much, but still), I just cut 250 calories a week, but if I had to lose more, I wouldn't aim to lose more than a pound a week.
  • I_Want_A_Donut
    I_Want_A_Donut Posts: 101 Member
    I like to drink water or chew gum. I'm a snacker, so I don't really ever eat a big meal, just little bits throughout the day and that seems to help me. My dad also used to use a trick when he quit smoking. He'd tell himself he could smoke after a certain amount of time or activity (like I can smoke after my next meeting). Often times, when that time came, he'd have forgotten about his craving.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    One way I AVOID hunger is to get a LOT of my calories from veggies. By bulking up on low-cal veg, it takes longer to digest, and I find I feel fuller longer.

One way I RESPOND to hunger between meals or when I haven't had a chance to eat a proper meal is to eat a very small amount of something with a lot of protein (tsp of peanut butter or hummus, or HALF or THIRD of a larabar or other high-protein nutrition bar. Then I wait for AT LEAST 30 minutes before eating any more. About 80% of the time, that little hit of protein does the trick.

After dinner during the "snack-attack" hours, when I know for fact that I have eaten my calorie allotment for the day and I really DON'T need to eat any more that day, if I feel a little noshy (which is probably not REALLY hunger but boredom or something else), I will chug 16-24 ounces of room-temp water (NOT cold) just as fast as I can--so fast that it actually makes me a little nauseous. That "water bomb" gives my system something to occupy it, and that slight feeling of nausea actually makes the thought of eating very unappetizing. That will usually get my mind off food until it's time to go to bed :-)