how many calories would you guess are in this pizza?

Options
zornig
zornig Posts: 336 Member
I'm going to dinner tonight and am trying to plan my pizza eating! Here is the one I've got my eye on:

Bella’s genuine oak-burning stone oven—crafted in Milan, Italy—cooks at temperatures between 600 and 800 degrees.
It adds a subtle but distinct flavor to our roasted dishes and is without question the ideal oven for making pizza.
Our pizza dough is made with beer from an original Venitian recipe, then brushed with olive oil before baking;
which gives our crust an extra light and crispy texture.

SALCICCIA VERDE Italian sausage, freshly sautéed spinach, shallots, garlic, romano, asiago, and mozzarella
cheeses.

I've had it before--it's a very thin, Neapolitan-style crust. The toppings are applied lightly, Italian-style rather than NY-style. If memory serves, it's 8" in diameter. The time I had it before, I ate half of it. I don't know which of the pizza entries in the food database would be closest to this kind of pizza. It's definitely not like what you'd get from Domino's or Pizza Hut. I've only been to California Pizza Kitchen once, so I'm not really familiar with their style of pizza, but perhaps that would be a close enough equivalent?

Suggestions would be appreciated!

Replies

• AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Tough one... it really depends on the cheese/meat/veg quantity, which could vary. You said it's thin crust and they go light on the toppings.... I'd go with the CPK equivalent (many are thin crust) for logging. I doubt you get a chance to eat this often, so enjoy it and don't fret about the log entry being accurate, just fairly close.

Edit: Fixed typo.
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    This is a hard one. We have a similar wood-fired pizzeria here, and when I've logged that, I KNOW it's not right, because I'm starving afterwards. I think even the CPK is likely to be over-counting (that is a thin crust but more dense and almost cracker-y), but that's probably the closest equivalent.
    If you don't eat it all -- bring it home and weigh it :)
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    If it is a super thin crust and light on the toppings, I would roughly estimate around 800 calories.

Crust: ~300-400 based on personal bread making experience (I've experimented a LOT with pizza crust)

Sausage: ~100-200 depending on how much is put on and what is in it. For comparison, one regular sausage link (think Bratwurst size) is about 200 calories.

Cheese: ~200 depending on amount. A quarter cup of shredded mozz is about 100 calories and in my experience it takes half a cup to adequately cover a personal size pizza (not piling it on). Asiago is likely grated like parm onto the pizza so it would add 20-50

Sauce & veggies: ~50-100 if it is plain tomato sauce

Hope that helps!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I'd probably say 700-800 for the whole thing too.
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the suggestions! The pizza had more cheese on it than I remembered. But I only ate half of it, so I'm going to log it as 500 calories and call it a day.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    3200 calories, easy.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Email the restaurant through the contacts page on their website.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    How dare this thread not have pictures. You failed!
    indeed.:tongue:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    This kind of pizza is basically a sandwich. For the large (12-14") size, figure 800 calories for a cheese-only, 1000 calories if there are any meat toppings.

It's a LOT better calorie-wise than Dominos or Papa Johns or what have you...