Whey powder and no gym

Is it okey to drink protien powder without gym or exercising . Or training ? I just want to gain weight

Replies

• Sipmytoe
    Sipmytoe Posts: 10 Member
    Is anyone here struggling to gain weight and the hemp extract is working for it to have appetite .
    IS IT TRUE OR DO YOU BELIEVE THAT THE HEMP EXTRACT is Can CAUSE DAMAGING THE LIVER ???
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    There probably isn't sufficient evidence on this since most "supplements" with hemp haven't been studied much. But in my experience, if you have to rely on a supplement to get gains, you will lose them the moment it becomes ineffective from tolerance or you stop taking it. I would start working on building the habits to help you get there. Hopefully, the below thread will help you.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1
  • Sipmytoe
    My appetite is my problem , and yes those thing you stated are absolutely CORRECT 😫. My question is it ok to take protien powder without training , gym or exercising ?
  • psuLemon
    reg1985lew wrote: »
    My appetite is my problem , and yes those thing you stated are absolutely CORRECT 😫. My question is it ok to take protien powder without training , gym or exercising ?

Of course. Ironically, have you tried exercise to stimulate hunger? Weight lifting does that for me.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited February 2021
    If you consume more calories than you burn in a day, you'll gain weight, whether it's protein powder or ice cream. If you're trying to build muscle, though, you will need to do some kind of resistance training with progressive overload; otherwise, those excess calories will be stored as fat. And like, it's your prerogative if you want to increase your body fat, that's not illegal. Just...kind of a strange choice to make.
  • Sipmytoe
    I just done have a time to do it , I’m working 12 -16 hours sitting all the time , I’ll go home tired😞
  • Sipmytoe
    @psuLemon , I don’t have a time to exercise since I’m working 12-16 hours m- f or m-s . That’s why I’m asking if I could do it without exercising , mostly I’m sitting and computer all time
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    You just need to eat more calories than you burn. Put your stats into MFP and track your food daily.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Protein shakes are pretty low calorie...I wouldn't think they would be the best option for trying to increase calories to gain weight.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    I would go with eat calorie dense foods but as you are not lifting I would go for small surplus of 250 calories to minimize fat gains...
  • psuLemon
    @psuLemon , I don’t have a time to exercise since I’m working 12-16 hours m- f or m-s . That’s why I’m asking if I could do it without exercising , mostly I’m sitting and computer all time

Bring things like nuts and higher calorie protein bars/drinks. Quick and easy way to get in more calories
  • psuLemon
    Btw, i combined your threads. Try to keep it to one thread
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member

So, let me make sure I'm understanding you correctly: you are almost completely sedentary, but somehow can't eat enough to gain weight? Do you want to trade bodies, because that is exactly the problem I would like to have.

In all seriousness: like I said, if you eat more calories than your body burns, you will gain weight. If you eat a lot of protein and regularly exercise your muscles with a progressive-overload resistance training program, that weight will come in the form of more muscle mass. If you don't do that, most of that weight will come in the form of excess body fat, which is generally considered to be an undesirable health outcome, but you're free to do what you will to your body I suppose. If you have some kind of underlying medical issue impacting your body's ability to digest food that is contributing to your struggle to gain, please speak to a medical professional.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

So, let me make sure I'm understanding you correctly: you are almost completely sedentary, but somehow can't eat enough to gain weight? Do you want to trade bodies, because that is exactly the problem I would like to have.

In all seriousness: like I said, if you eat more calories than your body burns, you will gain weight. If you eat a lot of protein and regularly exercise your muscles with a progressive-overload resistance training program, that weight will come in the form of more muscle mass. If you don't do that, most of that weight will come in the form of excess body fat, which is generally considered to be an undesirable health outcome, but you're free to do what you will to your body I suppose. If you have some kind of underlying medical issue impacting your body's ability to digest food that is contributing to your struggle to gain, please speak to a medical professional.

perhaps OP is recovering from an ED?
  • Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    OP, do you get any breaks at work, like 2 ten minute breaks and a half hour lunch, for example? If you do get breaks consider adding exercise to those breaks. Resistance bands(I have Bodylastics) are compact, can be used in small spaces and come in varying degrees of resistance. They would be a way of incorporating some form of exercise into your day.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    If the suppliment helps achieve a caloric surplus consistantly, the result will be weight gain.

Is it okay? Well that depends on your current health and history.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    edited February 2021
    I just done have a time to do it , I’m working 12 -16 hours sitting all the time , I’ll go home tired😞
    So you NEVER get up out of that chair?. You CAN'T do a total of 50 pushups and 50 air squats in 12 hours? Sorry, but that's an excuse. If you did 10 pushups off your desk, it MAY take you a whole minute. 2 minutes for squats. We're talking 15 minutes. Sorry but I'm not buying it.
    As for weight gain, eat something very CALORIE DENSE. When I needed to gain, I ate a whole large pizza by myself daily.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Sipmytoe
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    So you NEVER get up out of that chair?. You CAN'T do a total of 50 pushups and 50 air squats in 12 hours? Sorry, but that's an excuse. If you did 10 pushups off your desk, it MAY take you a whole minute. 2 minutes for squats. We're talking 15 minutes. Sorry but I'm not buying it.
    As for weight gain, eat something very CALORIE DENSE. When I needed to gain, I ate a whole large pizza by myself daily.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

HI ninebuff
    I work a cna one on one in covid patient in retirement home . I wear complete ppe , mostly in evry 14 days patient I handle , I just most all the time bcoZ they are bedbound . I handle hospice and covid patient too . So I can’t do just like that . I have 15- 30 minutes break but can’t undo what I wear
  • Sportertje354
    Sportertje354 Posts: 50 Member
    edited February 2021
    Then maybe right now isn't the right time to gain weight. Maybe wait until after covid, and your job changes

If you eat more protein than you burn it turns into fat. Unless your fat percentage is below healthy, than that isn't recommended, because it can lead to health issues. Given that obesity is seen as one of the contributing factors to covid, it could put you at more risk.

Other options are taking bike to work maybe, or doing some exercises while commuting and jogging for example.

Barring that maybe switch jobs or schedule first.

I would save the money of buying protein powder. It's usually more for supporting muscle when you are burning a lot of calories during excercising.
    E.g. it's easier to drink a shake than eat large amount of food in meals, can be more affordable too

In your case I would focus on a healthy diet, and finding a way to stay in shape first. Then slowly, when you can, expand the excercise part in your schedule, to help gain weight. If your normal food intake isn't enough look at protein powder as option.

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Protein powder isn’t going to hurt you, but as @Sportertje354 said right now it’s kind of a waste.

If you can find 15 or even 10 minutes at the beginning of your day, when you aren’t yet exhausted from your long shift, to do something active like HIIT, that may help you stay fit as much as is possible right now. Hang in there, hopefully the vaccine will make your job less crazy soon! Sometimes you just can’t do it all and have to let certain things go for a while.