Just a question.

truly_blessed90
truly_blessed90 Posts: 42
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I am 23 years old, 5'5 and started back on MFP as of Monday, August 19th, I weighed 185.
My calorie intake is 1200. I also have high blood pressure and chronic migraines.

Is 1200 calories a pretty good number for my height and age? Since Monday, I have not gone over 1200 calories and a few of the days I was under by 100 calories. I know that everyone is different but was wondering if 1200 is too low or high?

I have not started extra exercise other than my every day moving about as a stay at home mother.

Replies

• MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    I am 23 years old, 5'5 and started back on MFP as of Monday, August 19th, I weighed 185.
    My calorie intake is 1200. I also have high blood pressure and chronic migraines.

Is 1200 calories a pretty good number for my height and age? Since Monday, I have not gone over 1200 calories and a few of the days I was under by 100 calories. I know that everyone is different but was wondering if 1200 is too low or high?

I have not started extra exercise other than my every day moving about as a stay at home mother.

Did you choose that number arbitrarily or have you used a tool to figure out what you're burning? There are a ton online and MFP has it's own. There's no need to guess. You can put in your own stats and activity level and get a starting point.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    In a previous post, you said you had lost some weight on MFP a few months ago then trailed off. I'd suggest that the most important aspect of what calorie county you choose. is what you can stay with to the end, and that forms the basis for how you'll eat for life so you won't be a yo-yo dieter through life as too many of us have been, including me. If eating 1,500 calories a day gives you more choices, more feeling that you're quite happy with how you're eating, it would be a better way to go. It won't make a huge difference in how quickly you lose the weight.
  • I didn't pick 1200, I put on MFP app that I wanted to lose 2 lbs per week and my activity level was sedentary at the time, so it automatically chose 1200 calories.
  • L64Reed
    L64Reed Posts: 31 Member
    You'll have to see what works for your body. 1200 calories is the bottom limit that women should intake. If you drop below that you'll gain weight or plateau...isn't that weird? Anyway, watch how it works, otherwise I'd say about 1500 calories is probably a good amount to intake. Join us over at Dwindling Expectations if you'd like to...we're of all different ages all struggling the same...but our style is to live life! YOLO! :) See you there!

Lisa
    L64Reed
  • I changed it to 1400, although later I may change it back to 1200. Even though I am eating clean, the fruits and vegetables add up!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    As a SAHM I burn well over MFP's "Very active" setting. You are not sedentary as a SAHM... even with plenty of MFP and Facebook time :wink:

Plus, I don't think you have enough to lose to aim for 2 lbs/week.

So if you set your activity to "Moderately active" and change your goal to 1 lb/week, how many calories does it give you? I'd start there if I were you. It will help with compliance. And I'd also recommend at least 100g protein while meeting your calorie target.
  • bubblygoldfish
    bubblygoldfish Posts: 213 Member
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/#projectedweightloss

Try to find your BMR using the above link. This will tell you the MINIMUM number of calories you must consume on a daily basis.

I'm 5'1, 129lbs, and I'm set at just over 1500. I have lost weight by eating at this level, running, and lifting weights. Please don't just go off of MFP's calculations. Try other calculators and figure out an average reccomendation. WebMD has one too.
  • funkim55
    funkim55 Posts: 216 Member
    In order to get another opinion regarding proper calorie intake look at WebMD. Based on your age, weight and activity level as well as how much you want to lose per week, WebMD will give you calorie suggestions.

Have fun!!!
  • joan280
    joan280 Posts: 13
    I'M no expert but I think you should eat a couple hundred more calories and exercise about 3 or 4 time a week--If you don't your body will go into starvation mode and you will find it hard to lose weight and you may after a while have trouble controlling what you eat. Give it a try for a while and see if it helps-Hugs Joannie1952
  • TwelveSticks
    TwelveSticks Posts: 288 Member
    After much playing with intake levels earlier in my own diet, I would suggest that you:

1. Let MFP tell you what to eat, telling it you are a complete couch potato. This will be 1200.
    2. Don't eat less than this, unless you're following a specific fasting plan.
    3. Exercise as often as you can - every day, if possible, even if it's only a 20 minute, slow walk. It all helps.
    4. Eat back most, if not all of your exercise calories, on top of your base 1200.

With a reasonable bit of exercise every day, you'll end up eating 1500 or more every day, which is much more manageable to maintain in the long run that 1200. Plus, you won't slip into the mythical 'starvation mode' (i.e. you shouldn't plateau), and you should minimise muscle loss while losing fat weight.
  • rosej31
    rosej31 Posts: 189 Member
    Someone with high blood pressure and chronic migraines need advice from your doctor, with calorie intake of 1200. I'm surprise you have not pass out yet. I get chronic migraines and if I do not eat certain amount of calories a few days later I will have migraines and I was on 1200 or less and working out. Now, I am adding more fruits and veg in my meal....Do not play around with your health when it come to high blood pressure and migraines.
  • Thanks everyone for your input, it's highly appreciated.. I've had migraines since I was 12, before I had high blood pressure. I am not on medication for either. My doctor said she wants me to lose some weight before she thinks about medication for high BP because it wasn't too high. She didn't have any good advice but to lower my sodium intake. She never suggested any restrictions although I am nervous to exercise too much because I don't want to go overboard.
  • rosej31
    rosej31 Posts: 189 Member
    Thank God! You are not on any medication but I feel 1200 calorie is to low for anybody with health issues. I suggest trying the calorie intake that MFP gives you and to try to exercise maybe walk you do not have to do anything overboard. Also, make it a lifestyle change have fun with it but it in moderation. You are so young so enjoy life just remember its all about lifestyle change n eating in moderation.

Good Luck
  • FourIsCompany
    FourIsCompany Posts: 269 Member
    HI. A stay at home mom isn't sedentary, unless the kids are neglected. So, bump that up a notch or two.

My advice would be to set your sodium intake to 1500 mg and do your best to stay under that. If you go over by a couple hundred, that's ok, but it will help you to keep it down. It helps me, anyway.

And instead of 2 lbs per week, say one lb per week. That will give you a more reasonable calorie intake.

Just curious, have you tried an elimination diet for your migraines? Some foods cause migraines in some people, especially during childbearing years. Something about hormones. :) I had them for years, but I cut out certain foods and they went away. Oranges, avocados, ripe bananas, chocolate and MSG are just some that sent me into fits.

http://www.healthcentral.com/migraine/triggers-29502-5.html
  • Thanks Rose & FourIsCompany!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Oh hey OP... just a thought... I'm not trying to sound preachy, but you said you've had migraines since you were 12... I had them too. They started right around that age. I tracked the source to aspartame. Not saying that's the cause for you, but if you're consuming diet pop or other things sweetened with it, you may want to try cutting it out to see if that helps.
This discussion has been closed.