Same plan- suddenly different results? Help :/

Hello
I have been working hard to cut the last 5 lbs down for my first ever competition in March. In the past few months I cut my calories to just a 250 cal deficit and increased training days/ week. 1 rest day. I incorporated in another cardio day as well. However, I’m suddenly noticing a ton of water retention and even some weight gain so kind of panicking. What can I be doing wrong? Is this potentially a hormonal imbalance causing bloating and swelling? Hard to tell if it’s water or true weight gain... any thoughts would be appreciated on how I can course correct.
Thank you!

Replies

• Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    If you really do have a 250cal deficit, it cannot be real weight (fat) gain. It could be water retention of you have recently increased exercise with the additional cardio day.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Hello
    I have been working hard to cut the last 5 lbs down for my first ever competition in March. In the past few months I cut my calories to just a 250 cal deficit and increased training days/ week. 1 rest day. I incorporated in another cardio day as well. However, I’m suddenly noticing a ton of water retention and even some weight gain so kind of panicking. What can I be doing wrong? Is this potentially a hormonal imbalance causing bloating and swelling? Hard to tell if it’s water or true weight gain... any thoughts would be appreciated on how I can course correct.
    Thank you!

How is your water intake? This may sound counterintuitive but I find when I drink more water I release water weight more easily.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,451 Member
    Assuming contest, you mean competitive (figure, bikini)?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png