Can you think of anything wrong with this idea?

Options
LKArgh
LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
Since I cannot swim because we are in lock down, and since I cannot run because arthritis, I do some low impact workouts lately every day. Mostly Lasley Sansoms Walk at Home or similar style videos. These are the cardio part, I do bodyweight stength training, which was what I did also pre covid.
So, since I actually am in good shape, the low impact videos seem too easy to be honest compared to swimming. Since there is a lot of arm movement in many of them, I was thinking of adding light weights to make it harder. I have tried with dumbells but they are not very comfortable and then I remembered I have seen in the past weights that you can strap on your wrists.
As I have never tried this before, can you think of any reason why this is not a good idea? I repeat that this will not be a replacement for strength training.

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Wrist and ankle weights aren't great, they put a lot of extra strain on those joints. What's uncomfortable about dumbbells?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,127 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the wrist/ankle weights I've used tend to slip around a bit, and cause stresses if one makes a fast movement. I hear what you're saying about wanting more vigorous cardio, but I'm sorry to say I don't have great minimal-impact ideas for you, if you can't run/jump and don't have equipment. Can you add resistance to your cardio movements with something like resistance bands, that's a little less risky? Can something like step-ups increase the challenge (using an exercise step or other very sturdy platform)? Another option might be something like a body bar ( heavy bar, even weight through the length); they're not terrifically expensive and seem to be available now. I've used one at home to do martial-arts staff exercises (shorter than a staff, but similar weight, so I don't whack lamps and stuff in my fairly-small house).

I have some of the same issues, but am lucky to have a rowing machine at home (that I've had since I started on-water rowing in around 2003, not new).
  • FitAgainBy55
    FitAgainBy55 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend just adding weight to random body weight calisthenic type movements. I'm sure some movements could be ok but others could cause injury. If you want to increase the intensity then move faster or move longer without rest. Then add some weights to your body weight strength training exercises to increase the intensity and consider super-setting them and reducing rest time to increase the intensity if you want more of a cardio impact.

I use kettlebells for my strength training and I use super-setting and an interval timer to ensure it is a highly intense workout. I'm out of breath at the end of the sets. It's a full body, kind of combo strength/cardio workout. If you try a kettlebell goblet jump squat, or a combo squat with one arm clean you will see how to add cardio to an intense strength training session.

When I want to lose weight these are the types of strength training workouts I do. When I'm looking to add strength and maintain my weight I'll do strength training sets with heavier weight, more rest and no super-setting.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    What about something like indoor cycling? That is also more low impact...my dad has arthritis in his knees and hands, and it was something his doctor recommended to him.
    I've seen people here mention rebounders too..those are supposed to be easier on joints. Of course, these would require purchasing equipment..not sure if you're interested in that or not..
  • LKArgh
    Options
    Thank you for the tips, I have never used wrist weights before, so I had no idea how they feel :)
    I cannot cycle at all, I have an ankle with arthritis and this is a forbidden movement.
    I can walk and do some light running and jumping, but if I get carried away (which I often do) then it hurts for days.
    I do "normal" strength training, a combination of pilates, dumbells and resistance bands and that part works great for me.
    I just need a way to make cardio more challenging without jumping around :( I just do not feel my heart rate increasing enough, like usually people complain about being out of breath etc and I miss that feeling at the moment. I can do low impact routines, even at a high speed for 2 hours until I actually feel that and I just feel bored. I do some hikes and these are far more interesting, but with restrictions in place, they are limited to the same old routes for months, which is also getting boring.
  • skinnyrev2b
    skinnyrev2b Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I'd second the rebounder option. (Disclaimer - I don't know it it'll help or aggravate your arthritis). Walking briskly on it or even jumping seems to get me out of breath more quickly than my 3.5mph hour long walks I take daily.
    I also advocate yoga vinyasas for a strength and cardio combo. Only 'light' for each, but still breaks a sweat and gets the muscles twitching.
  • LKArgh
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Lol, one of the lowest impact exercises for me just to get my heart rate up.........................dancing. Cha cha, salsa, etc. And at least it's to music. No need for a program or instruction. Just dance to however many songs you want.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Dancing is forbidden by the doctor as it require rotations that make things worse :( I still do it occasionally because I like it but I shouldn't.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Not a good idea. The intensity from Leslie Sansone workouts come from the speed at which you move. Flinging weights around is a bad idea.

Movements with weights should be controlled.

If you're looking for more intense cardio, but low impact look into rebounding or step aerobics.

For strength, there are at least 3 Leslie Sansone videos that use weights in a "circuit-style" workout. You stop walking and then pick up weights. The movement is controlled. Walk It Off in 30 Days has 2 workouts, one focuses on weights. Tone Every Zone is another one. An older one is Walk Away the Pounds - Walk Strong (not the express one which uses a resistance band).
  • KaceeAnne83
    KaceeAnne83 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    LKArgh wrote: »
    Since I cannot swim because we are in lock down, and since I cannot run because arthritis, I do some low impact workouts lately every day. Mostly Lasley Sansoms Walk at Home or similar style videos. These are the cardio part, I do bodyweight stength training, which was what I did also pre covid.
    So, since I actually am in good shape, the low impact videos seem too easy to be honest compared to swimming. Since there is a lot of arm movement in many of them, I was thinking of adding light weights to make it harder. I have tried with dumbells but they are not very comfortable and then I remembered I have seen in the past weights that you can strap on your wrists.
    As I have never tried this before, can you think of any reason why this is not a good idea? I repeat that this will not be a replacement for strength training.

Hi, I have arthritis too, for 33 years now. I understand totally. I have myself used the strap on weights, you can put them on your arms or legs. They work good. But, when you first start using them, I suggest not doing as much as you normally do. As with the added weights, it can make you sore for days. So I would just start off slow. But, ya, go for it!