Starting from the bottom, MFP has recommended 1400 but I’m not so sure ?

Hello!

My name is Liss, I started with MFP 5 days ago and it has given me a target of 1400 daily calories to lose 2lb a week or something like that.

I have been really really good with it and I’ve been trying to excersize , log food and stick to my calorie advisory. But I just feel like I’m doing it completely wrong?

My current weight is 11st 5lb (2 stone over my goal weight) I am 5ft 5, in my mind all I can think around is ... sure I can do 1400 calories till goal weight (if that ever gets me there) but surely if I did get there I would never ever be able to up my calories without gaining weight ? I’m not sure if I’m ready for this lifestyle and surely there is another way to achieve this ?

Any help would be so much appreciated to get me going .. I have no idea what I’m doing. All I do know is I’ve well and truly lost myself. I used to be so confident and outgoing and now I’m not even a shadow of that person. I need me back

Please help xx

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,104 Member
    With only 2 stone to lose 2lbs per week is too aggressive, that is only suitable for people who are obese, set yourself to 1lb per week for now and as you get closer to goal drop it to 0.5lbs per week.

Also be sure to eat some if not all of your exercise calories back, they are not included in your base calories goal and ensure you have the right activity level chosen for your Non-Exercise activity (work/school/home life)

When you get to goal weight your calorie goal will be higher than what you're eating for loss, not lower.

Your calorie goal for loss is Maintenance less the calorie deficit required for your chosen rate of loss

In your case your Maintenance is currently around 2400 as you've chosen 2lbs per week which is a calorie deficit of 1000, if you drop it too 1lb per week you should get around 1900 calories

Your maintenance will reduce with your weight, so when you get to goal it'll be lower but if you are at a smaller deficit by then, it should be easier to move into maintenance.

• lissiepops93
    lissiepops93 Posts: 6 Member
    Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to me, I’ve just adjusted my goals to 1lb loss a week and it has hit my calories up to like 1800 or something.

In regards to excersize what should I be aiming for ? Sorry as you can see I’ve absolutely no idea what I’m doing 😂 xx
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,104 Member
    Exercise is not required for weight loss, your calorie goal doesn't include it, but is good for your health, so fit in what you can. Calorie wise for most people exercise makes up the smallest portion of your daily calorie burn, you have your BMR (which is what you burn with your basic bodily functions at rest), your NEAT (calories burned through normal daily activity not including exercise) and then your exercise.

It is much easier to increase your NEAT to improve your calorie burn with small changes throughout your normal day. See https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1

Personally I like to aim for at least a 30 minute walk per day for cardio health and a couple of days weight training for maintaining muscle, improving body appearance and it also increases bone density which can help prevent osteopirosis which is more common in women than men.

Picking exercise you will enjoy is important IMO, if it's something you dread you won't want to do it.

• lissiepops93
    lissiepops93 Posts: 6 Member
    Thanks so much for all your replies 🥰 you’ve all been very helpful I keep reading them all over and over to get the best understanding I can x Thankyou