Daily calorie intake query

Hey folks,

I was just wondering about the correct calories to consume to lose weight I'm currently sitting at about 88kg or there abouts and I'm looking to drop down to at least 76kg but I'm unsure about the correct calories allowance day to day i used the harris benedict formula and it suggested about 3300 calories required per day so would that mean minus 500 calories off that to hit about 1 pound loss per week? I'm 5ft 7 and I'm 30 and I work out at home 4 times a week

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    I prefer to let MFP do the work but I'm sure someone else who uses the TDEE method will come along and advise you :)

To use MFP's calculations, put your stats in here:

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

As you have 12 kg / 26.5 pounds to lose, pick the weight loss goal of a pound per week.

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg

Unlike other sites which use TDEE calculators, MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated for them and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others, however, are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.

https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032625391-How-does-MyFitnessPal-calculate-my-initial-goals-
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    The suggested cals for your stats vary hugely depending on your actvity and exercise level you select for your TDEE calculation and hence the BMR multiplier you use.
    4 workouts a week could be a lot or a little depending on what those workouts are and for what duration.

No idea what your activity level is (daily life/job, you could be a builder or a pen-pusher....) but it would appear you have picked a very high BMR multiplier to get to that calorie number for your weight and height.

I prefer this TDEE site as it has more levels/granularity than others and gives you a chance to compare different calculations.
    https://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/

• SunnyBunBun79
    SunnyBunBun79 Posts: 2,228 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    The suggested cals for your stats vary hugely depending on your actvity and exercise level you select for your TDEE calculation and hence the BMR multiplier you use.
    4 workouts a week could be a lot or a little depending on what those workouts are and for what duration.

No idea what your activity level is (daily life/job, you could be a builder or a pen-pusher....) but it would appear you have picked a very high BMR multiplier to get to that calorie number for your weight and height.

I prefer this TDEE site as it has more levels/granularity than others and gives you a chance to compare different calculations.

That's a really cool TDEE site! which ones below do you go by?

Harris-Benedict (Original)

Harris-Benedict (Revised)

Mifflin St Jeor
  • sijomial

Mifflin St Jeor
    @SunnyBunBun79

Personally none of them - MyFitnessPal's method works much better for a cyclist like me with massively varied exercise burns that can be accurately estimated rather than the very vague workout frequency of TDEE sites.

If my exercise was more consistent and I wanted a same every day goal (I actively don't want that as it would feel too restrictive!!) I would take an average of all the TDEE estimates and then adjust based on trend weight over time.
  • SunnyBunBun79

Mifflin St Jeor
    @SunnyBunBun79

Personally none of them - MyFitnessPal's method works much better for a cyclist like me with massively varied exercise burns that can be accurately estimated rather than the very vague workout frequency of TDEE sites.

If my exercise was more consistent and I wanted a same every day goal (I actively don't want that as it would feel too restrictive!!) I would take an average of all the TDEE estimates and then adjust based on trend weight over time.

I have a pretty consistent week since I'm just starting off and need to learn to control my portions...It lets me select the rest of the methods but it makes the outcome a weird number so I just went with the first three... so at the bottom where it says "Caloric Intake Target" - that's what I should eat every day?
  • sijomial

Mifflin St Jeor
    @SunnyBunBun79

I have a pretty consistent week since I'm just starting off and need to learn to control my portions...It lets me select the rest of the methods but it makes the outcome a weird number so I just went with the first three... so at the bottom where it says "Caloric Intake Target" - that's what I should eat every day?

Yep - enter your weekly loss goal and it changes the calorie intake goal to achieve that rate of loss.
  • SunnyBunBun79

Mifflin St Jeor
    @SunnyBunBun79

Yep - enter your weekly loss goal and it changes the calorie intake goal to achieve that rate of loss.

Thanks very much!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,165 Member
    Mfp uses Mifflin and the study sample was more representative of today's population when it comes to height and weight as compared to Harris
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited February 2021
    I'm a TDEE dieter so perhaps I should weigh in here.

We have to make some assumptions here, because you have not specified what "working out at home 4 times per week" means. That could mean anything from a 5 minute trampoline session to an hour of sweat-dripping cardio followed by three hours of lifting.

For the sake of discussion let's assume you're doing the typical home workout of 30-45 minutes of cardio, 4x per week. If you are otherwise leading a generally sedentary life - that is, working at a desk and such - and supplementing that with 4 workouts of this nature, I would suggest categorizing yourself as "lightly active".

Putting your stats into TDEEcalculator.net -- female (I made that assumption), 30 years old, 194 lbs, 5'7", here's what it came up with:

Basal Metabolic Rate 1,633 calories per day
    Sedentary 1,959 calories per day
    Light Exercise 2,245 calories per day
    Moderate Exercise 2,531 calories per day
    Heavy Exercise 2,816 calories per day
    Athlete 3,102 calories per day

The 3300 calories you came up with with some other calculator seems waaaaaaasay too high, as @sijomial suggested above. But the 2,245 for lightly active sounds about right to me. I would start there, lop off 500 cals to lose a pound per week, which will give you a 1,745 calorie per day budget, see how that goes for a month by weighing in and seeing if you lose the pound per week, and then adjust your cals up or down accordingly.

Even if the 1,745 to lose a lb a week is a little off, based on your age/height/weight, it isn't going to be way off - it's going to be in the ballpark. If a month later you've lost 3 lbs or 5 lbs and want to fine tune, then go for it. These formulas are just starting points to get you going.