back pain/injury started 10 hours after workout

Options
i was doing underbody and i think i accidentally injured my back because got some exercises i was using dumb wells that were too heavy 5kgs but that’s the lightest dumbbell i have

but then like 10 hours after working out i felt no pain and then was walking about my house and then the pain started.

is that normal for pain/injury to start that king after? it’s not extremely painful but uncomfortable and feels hot

basically i’m just confused because i would assume if it was injury due to that workout it would start right after doing the workout

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    If it's not pain but discomfort, it could well just be DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness), if that's all it is, it should ease over the next day or so, they sometimes don't kick in until a day later. If it's particularly uncomfortable try a warm shower or a bath with epsom salts and perhaps some anti-inflammatorys if it's really uncomfortable. If it doesn't ease then a call to your doctor might be wise.
  • trulyhealy
    trulyhealy Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    If it's not pain but discomfort, it could well just be DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness), if that's all it is, it should ease over the next day or so, they sometimes don't kick in until a day later. If it's particularly uncomfortable try a warm shower or a bath with epsom salts and perhaps some anti-inflammatorys if it's really uncomfortable. If it doesn't ease then a call to your doctor might be wise.

it’s in the lower middle part of the back so i didn’t think it was muscle soreness that ppl get after a new workout and i’m not that it’s an injury anymore bc i’m workout out rn and it’s sore but i’d when i lay down ahh i’m so confused
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    DOMS isn't necessarily after only a new workout, it can be if it's the same workout but perhaps more intense, in your case as you say, you're using heavier dumbbells than normal?
  • trulyhealy
    trulyhealy Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    DOMS isn't necessarily after only a new workout, it can be if it's the same workout but perhaps more intense, in your case as you say, you're using heavier dumbbells than normal?

yeah i am for example i have 2 10kg fumbles and before only used one and trying to incorporate both dumbells 20kgs

but i think it might be an i just bc i can’t life the smaller weights when doing a certain exercise like i can’t lift it all the way up only half way
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    trulyhealy wrote: »
    is that normal for pain/injury to start that king after?

It can happen, yes. One possible reason is people may change the way they move & walk due to fatigue.. especially if the core was worked. Also muscles can tighten afterward from not moving enough (too much sitting) or hydration/electrolyte issues. And many strength programs out there aren't that good, which can contribute to injuries.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Sounds like what I'm feeling. I'm positive it wasn't DOMS (well, especially since it's been 8 weeks now...). It was a change up in my core workout. My back wasn't supported enough, so I was engaging it instead of the core muscles (but didn't realize it as I was doing it). Then other things aggravated it. So now I'm working on staying away from the things that irritate it, and doing lots of yoga that targets it so I can get it stretched. It's not debilitating, but for example, I'm now doing a combination of running/walking, mostly flat. Usually, I'm trail running with steep hills. Oh well. We've got nothing but time, right? ;)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Not uncommon. Especially if you try newer exercises or different angles. Sometimes the 3rd day I've felt dull aches from an exercise I haven't performed in a long time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Doesn't DOMS normally start a day or two after a workout?
  • tinkerbellang83
    edited February 2021
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Not always in my experience, sometimes if I do a particularly intense morning workout I feel it late afternoon/evening. Could also be a strain though.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Mine certainly does. Always worse two days later than the day after for some reason. What can I say? I’m unique! 😂