How Often do you Weigh Yourself And What Kind of Scale do you use

Options
13»

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    @MPyLP

Why are you weighing your clothes at all?
    Naked takes away all the variables of this outfit v. that outfit.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I'd say about 4-5 times per week. I use an Abyon digital scale that's also supposed to measure body fat, but it's pretty useless. The body fat percentage correlates directly with my weight, and I don't think that's accurate.

If I'm feeling super bloated or I know it's that time of the month, I won't weight myself. However, if I get out of the habit of weighing myself, that's often when my weight starts to creep up.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    TMI: I weigh in undies, first thing in the morning immediately after elimination. I still can't get my two scales to agree. This morning, my Detecto digital said I'd lost a pound. My Krups spring scale claims it was only half. :D
  • mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    MsCzar wrote: »
    TMI: I weigh in undies, first thing in the morning immediately after elimination. I still can't get my two scales to agree. This morning, my Detecto digital said I'd lost a pound. My Krups spring scale claims it was only half. :D

I know what you mean, I put my clothes on so I think I am going to get the same weight at my doctors office on his digital scale as my digital scale at home. Never the same and his is always shows I weigh more than my scale at home. And their both digital scales. And I calibrate mine weekly to account for it getting moved around.

• mpkpbk2015
    Options
    I'd say about 4-5 times per week. I use an Abyon digital scale that's also supposed to measure body fat, but it's pretty useless. The body fat percentage correlates directly with my weight, and I don't think that's accurate.

If I'm feeling super bloated or I know it's that time of the month, I won't weight myself. However, if I get out of the habit of weighing myself, that's often when my weight starts to creep up.

I have never quite understood how the scales measure bf because many years ago a personal trainer did a bf measurement for me with a little tool and it actually measured by pinching areas of arm, stomach, side, etc between what looked like a protractor from geometry and then he used a calculator. So I think your right the scale just uses your weight % to something to get the bf number.
  • sijomial
    edited February 2021
    Options
    mpkpbk2015 wrote: »

I have never quite understood how the scales measure bf because many years ago a personal trainer did a bf measurement for me with a little tool and it actually measured by pinching areas of arm, stomach, side, etc between what looked like a protractor from geometry and then he used a calculator. So I think your right the scale just uses your weight % to something to get the bf number.

They don't measure body fat directly, they actually measure electrical resistance and make a whole lot of assumptions from that based on lean mass being less resistant than fat mass.
    But variations in hydration make a big difference to readings. Decent ones can give a reasonable trend over time but might have odd strange spikes along the way, moreso if not used under controlled and consistent conditions. Bad ones are just hopeless all of the time.
  • mpkpbk2015
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

They don't measure body fat directly, they actually measure electrical resistance and make a whole lot of assumptions from that based on lean mass being less resistant than fat mass.
    But variations in hydration make a big difference to readings. Decent ones can give a reasonable trend over time but might have odd strange spikes along the way, moreso if not used under controlled and consistent conditions. Bad ones are just hopeless all of the time.

Thanks now I know - appreciate your explanation makes sense why they would be off more often then on.

• MPyLP
    MPyLP Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    @MPyLP

I'm not weighing my clothes. Let me rephrase my question: is it better to weigh oneself fully dressed or in undies? Is that clearer?
  • sijomial
    Options
    MPyLP wrote: »
    @MPyLP

I'm not weighing my clothes. Let me rephrase my question: is it better to weigh oneself fully dressed or in undies? Is that clearer?

If you are wearing clothes when you step on the scales you are weighing your clothes along with yourself.

To clearly answer your question - no it's not best to weigh either fully dressed or in undies!
  • mpkpbk2015
    Options
    @MPyLP

@MPyLP

@MPyLP

@MPyLP

@MPyLP

@MPyLP

To get a real accurate picture I weigh without clothing and without any food or water. The best time is in the morning right after you have got up and went to the bathroom
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every other day, first thing in the morning. I use an Inbody scale.

• mpkpbk2015
    Options
    I weigh myself every other day, first thing in the morning. I use an Inbody scale.

Thank you for replying appreciate the insight is the inbody scale digital? Hope you had a Happy Valentines Day. Have a good week.Take care. <3
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options

Thank you for replying appreciate the insight is the inbody scale digital? Hope you had a Happy Valentines Day. Have a good week.Take care. <3

Hi @mpkpbk2015 - Happy V day to you! ;)

It is a digital scale— it also connects via Bluetooth to your phone app ..
  • mpkpbk2015
    Options

Hi @mpkpbk2015 - Happy V day to you! ;)

It is a digital scale— it also connects via Bluetooth to your phone app ..

thanks kool avatar - Have a wonderful week.