Struggling to work AND exercise

Options
As a student, I have a part time job- I work 9-6 on a Saturday in a supermarket. During this I am on my feet for the entire day- rushing around the shop, squatting low and standing on tiptoes to different shelves, and just generally wearing myself out. By the time I get home I'm exhausted, with painfully achey legs, so usually Saturdays are my day off from exercising. However for the next four weeks I am working almost every day, with only one or two days off in a week, and I'm worried I will struggle to exercise in addition- on the occasions where I have tried I haven't put my full effort in, seeing as I have 'jelly legs' that just don't want to move properly. Can anyone recommend any exercise I could do to still burn some calories without having to use my legs too much?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Get up early and get your workout in before both the jelly legs and the excuses set in.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Get up early and get your workout in before both the jelly legs and the excuses set in.

This is what I did when I was a full-time student and worked 20 hours a week as the university's cafe manager. It can be done, you just have to rearrange your sleep schedule. Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I'm typically on mile 3 or 4 as the sun comes up. Nobody is around to tell me what to do, no job needs me, no people ask for favors. It's just me and the shoes doing whatever the hell we want. Early mornings are the thing to do.

I get up at 5:30 am to make this happen and never regret it. Ever!
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    An active day of eight hours on your feet rushing around should burn a decent amount of calories. If you're going from doing that, one day a week, to doing it almost every day for four weeks, that is a notable increase in cardio burn. For those weeks, you could do resistance work on your days off, with a focus on upper body, and continue to keep your calories in check.
  • Squishy237
    Options
    I used to struggle too at sticking with my work-out routine but about 3 weeks ago I started getting up at 4:30 am to go to the gym and making sure I'm in bed by 9:00 or 9:30pm to get enough sleep. By the third day I felt great! Starting my day with a work-out has really helped me to feel more energized through-out the day and by getting it done first thing there are far fewer excuses not to go. In fact, since I started this I have averaged a work-out schedule of 6 out of 7 days each week and been way more productive on the weekend. Plus, when I work-out in the morning it's easier to stick to a healthy diet because I don't want to ruin my work-out from that morning by eating badly.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Excuses, not reasons.

I am 43 years old. I work full time (salary, so that makes it MORE than full time). I go to the gym at 0300 each morning. If I wait until after work, it isn't happening. I get my full day accomplished BECAUSE I go to the gym at 0300. It gives me the energy to get through the day. Stop convincing yourself you don't have the time. You do. Decisions determine destination.
  • missfitmt
    missfitmt Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    An active day of eight hours on your feet rushing around should burn a decent amount of calories. If you're going from doing that, one day a week, to doing it almost every day for four weeks, that is a notable increase in cardio burn. For those weeks, you could do resistance work on your days off, with a focus on upper body, and continue to keep your calories in check.

I agree with this. I haven't been working out as much now that I'm working more, but my calorie burn (via my FitBit) has gone way up from being so active at work. I think resistance training, with a focus on the upper body, is a great idea.

I will also say though that I'm currently doing the c25k program, and I made myself go for a run after an exhausting day at work. I felt crappy during the run, but I noticed that my legs didn't have the jello feeling as much and I felt great for getting the workout in. I think your energy levels will also go up if you can get yourself to workout more in addition to work + school. But I definitely know where you're coming from...balancing all that is very difficult! Best of luck to ya! :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Excuses, not reasons.

I am 43 years old. I work full time (salary, so that makes it MORE than full time). I go to the gym at 0300 each morning. If I wait until after work, it isn't happening. I get my full day accomplished BECAUSE I go to the gym at 0300. It gives me the energy to get through the day. Stop convincing yourself you don't have the time. You do. Decisions determine destination.

3am? That's hardcore right there. I salute you and your awesomeness.
  • Dbernier1981
    Dbernier1981 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Have you tried one of those walking dvds which still gives a nice workout for like 30 min but doesn't require too much strain on legs. If you really don't want to be on feet, yoga maybe. Dvds are nice since you can do anytime and modify if something is hurting you. Also sounds like you got a school and work which can be stressful so yoga might be nice...obviously cardio is good to do at least couple times a week though (and the walking dvds would help that)
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    My first thought is--- You are getting a workout at work even if you don't realize it.
    My second would be to do something easier on yourself like take a swim if you have access to a pool.
  • rosellasweet
    rosellasweet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I was the same way. If I don't exercise in the morning, I wait until super late at night and then waking up is hard. So I just wake up an hour before I have to and work out. I work full-time and go to school at night so it's really my only option.
  • Dbernier1981
    Dbernier1981 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Any by the way...don't let these people talk you down...sometimes it feels like its a lot of pressure. Make baby steps at first and exercise will become easier with time :)
  • SStruthers13
    SStruthers13 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I think for the next 4 week adding exercise would be unhealthy for you. Your body can only be expected to do so much before you start wearing it out. If your legs are so tired they feel like jelly your body is trying to tell you it's had enough.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I say, take care of yourself. Being on your feet for eight hours isn't the same as sitting at a desk job for eight hours; it's physically exhausting, whether you're 19 or 99.
  • Libertysfate
    Libertysfate Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the previous posters. If you're on your feet at work I'd consider that a workout. When I was in school I didn't have time to workout either, so I'd park my car different places on campus depending on my schedule - basically, furthest from my class that day and could get some cardio in that way, and take the stairs instead of the elevator. If you have time in between classes hit up the rec center (most colleges have them).
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    this reaffirms something i've heard before, that some people would rather sleep then be successful.

OP, either go to the gym before work, or after. You have Jelly legs? do a long warm up.
  • Belinda658
    Belinda658 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I work at a desk all day and exercise at night and gave been studying too. It's about priorities
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    I just adjusted my schedule to allow more time for workouts. I get up at 4 am -- leave the house at 4:30 and get into Philadelphia a little after 5:30 am -- then I spend 90 minutes doing Bikram Yoga and have just enough time to get a shower and walk over to work starting at 8 am. Some evening and weekends I go to the local gym and do a little lifting and etc.
  • 311pilgrims
    Options
    Awesome advice about getting up early to exercise. My problem is I can NEVER get myself up... Snooze after snooze after snooze!
    I really need to listen to you all as well and just get my lazy butt up! I just ran 3 miles after working 12 hours. I was slow but I finished! I think AM workouts would also help me be more alert at work ;)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Awesome advice about getting up early to exercise. My problem is I can NEVER get myself up... Snooze after snooze after snooze!
    I really need to listen to you all as well and just get my lazy butt up! I just ran 3 miles after working 12 hours. I was slow but I finished! I think AM workouts would also help me be more alert at work ;)

don't make it a chore. make it easy. make it something you want to do.

my tips for waking up early for exercise or anything

go to bed early. you want to wake up an hour early? go to bed at least an hour earlier.

don't drink too much alcohol before bed. (i find that it makes my sleep a little restless)

prepare your coffee and breakfast the night before so it's one less thing you need to have ready. PB & J's are simple and easy to make the night before.

lay out your clothes and gather your gear and stuff in a bag. makes it easier to get ready, and less likelihood of forgetting something as you might be half asleep in the morning.

turn off and avoid electronics before bed. read instead.