Foods that surprised you

Options
... In taste, calories content or anything else.

I for one was not aware of the calories in a small potato!

Still tasty though 😁

Replies

• OliveSalt
    OliveSalt Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Starbucks everything :'(
  • elmusho1989
    elmusho1989 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Lattes are my weakness!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Cooked bacon. Not nearly as calorific or fatty as I would have thought.

This one. Shrimp and other shellfish too -- not that I thought it was high cal (apart from frying it or adding sauces), but I was surprised at just how low it was.
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Just bought an Cherry Vanilla Olipop (flavored sparkling tonic) and was super pleasantly surprised over the great flavor. They aren't cheap but worth an occasional splurge and for only 45 calories, it works nicely
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,714 Member
    Options
    There are so many since I've started getting into nutrition and food it's hard to even say!
    The lower calorie count of most squashes and pumpkin. That was a happy moment.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Celtuce - also known as wosun or stem lettuce. I recently discovered it at my favorite Asian grocery.

It has a earthy flavor reminiscent of asparagus but with a firmer texture. Love it steamed with onions, mushrooms and curry powder!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    How many calories are in milk. I used to go through a gallon of skim every couple of days.

That was one of the things I unexpectedly missed the most, even more than the baked goods and candy.

How little oomph you get for a 100 calorie granola bar- even if you eat the damn thing oat by oat by oat. To drag it out, ya know.....

• AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Tortilla chips you get like 8 catalina ones for a serving.........😧

LORD JESUS BLESS
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,714 Member
    Options
    It's an awakening when you find out the caloric density of most desserts snd the size.
    How many calories in rice for a tiny amount too.
    The insane amount of sugar in so many foods and condiments.
    A whole 4 oz sweet potato is only ~100 calories and filling. A serving of chips is like an ounce of air in comparrison. Beet chips are 👌AWESOME
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Quinoa - all the rage at one time, and I like it. But it doesn’t really have so many nutrients compared to calories.
    OK, not great.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    The opposite for me, I was really surprised how low calorie a potato was, lol.

How much a serving of nut butter really was. How super low calorie pumpkin, zucchini, and broccoli was. (My three favorites!) Also sandwich turkey. I always way overestimated how much I was eating until I started weighing it.

Another one is how easy it is to fit in traditional “junk” food and how low calorie some actually can be. (I always eat ~200 calorie protein/snack bars at night so that’s why I am comparing to them.) For example I can have three Oreos for the same calories as a similar size “healthy” snack bar.

Other stuff like this too surprised me like snack a 200 Calorie pop tart is bigger than many 200 calorie “healthy” bars. Also snack cakes that are around 200 calories. Easy to fit these traditionally thought of as “high calorie junk” foods into your daily calories.

True. Especially if you are getting your protein and stuff from other sources... why NOT eat a twinkie over a protein bar
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    My biggest surprise was how many calories I added that I didn't miss.

Cream in coffee. Butter on toast. Mayo on my sandwiches. Salad dressing. Do all of those in a day and I added 600 calories I didn't care about (unsweetened cashew milk, sugar free jam, mustard instead of mayo, ranch seasoning without a carrier or in nonfat greek yogurt). Huge eye opener.

Conversely, yeah, as the person above: It is not hard to fit that candy bar or brownie or some chips into my diet.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Oh and conversely I realized that I hate chicken. I've eaten it periodically most of my life but attempting to make it a major player in my diet taught me really fast - I. Hate. Chicken.