Bodyfat Measurement

Options
Admins please remove this if inappropriate, I have no personal interest in this company but seems pretty interesting.

I was listening to a Podcast interview with the inventors of the Made Health and Fitness App. It was developed by 2 PhDs in Kinesiology at the University of Alabama. Basically you take a full body picture in tight clothing and the app analyzes based on a bunch of algorithms to give your body composition in about 30 seconds. Per the website, your picture is not transmitted anywhere, just the metrics the app gathers.

This story on the University of Alabama's website describes it in more detail:

https://news.ua.edu/2020/10/health-and-fitness-app-developed-at-ua-launches/

I bit and tried it. I found as advertised, my BF% as measured on the app was almost exactly what a recent DEXA Scan showed.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Oooh. I may want to try this. I'll let you know. I've done Bod Pod and InBody, but haven't tried Dexa yet. However both times I did I was considerably heavier.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,913 Member
    Options
    Fascinating. Bookmarking for later.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I’m 5’4” at 118lbs. My body weight scale puts me at 27% body fat and the app has me at 29% body fat. :'(
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,478 Member
    Options
    I’m 5’4” at 118lbs. My body weight scale puts me at 27% body fat and the app has me at 29% body fat. :'(

That's interesting they are so close. Would be interesting to monitor both at rhe same time and see if you get bigger swings with the scale.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options

Well, don't feel so bad. I'm 5'8, 145 and my scale says 24.9% body fat. I tried this app and it said 40% body fat!!!! I know my scale is widely inaccurate, but still,for someone who has been working out and strength training for quite a long time and consider myself to be decently strong, seeing that was very discouraging.

I had been debating whether or not I should get a Dexa Fit scan,and I think seeing these numbers convinced me to do so. Although, if I pay $100 for them to tell me I still have 40% body fat, I'll be even more discouraged!
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Well, don't feel so bad. I'm 5'8, 145 and my scale says 24.9% body fat. I tried this app and it said 40% body fat!!!! I know my scale is widely inaccurate, but still,for someone who has been working out and strength training for quite a long time and consider myself to be decently strong, seeing that was very discouraging.

I had been debating whether or not I should get a Dexa Fit scan,and I think seeing these numbers convinced me to do so. Although, if I pay $100 for them to tell me I still have 40% body fat, I'll be even more discouraged!
    Body fat from person to person is proportioned across the body differently. For me the most fat is held around my waistline, low back and just under my chest area. But I don't look fat even if it says I'm over 22%. I'm interested to see what it says since I know what my body fat % is from InBody.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    The obligatory chart that sometimes gets posted on this website/app needs updating. Lol

pdxsoajgu5ak.jpeg
  • Theoldguy1
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Body fat from person to person is proportioned across the body differently. For me the most fat is held around my waistline, low back and just under my chest area. But I don't look fat even if it says I'm over 22%. I'm interested to see what it says since I know what my body fat % is from InBody.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Be interesting to see what you find out. I did the InBody, which is basically a bioelectrical impedance scale on steroids' and it showed lower BF than the DEXA scan I had about the same time.
  • Theoldguy1
    Options

Good luck. If it comes back higher than you'd like remember what they always say, what gets measured gets managed.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I’ve done inbody body fat measurement and caliper. It was actually very close . I was surprised.
    Haven’t done Dexa or bod pod.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I’ve done inbody body fat measurement and caliper. It was actually very close . I was surprised.
    Haven’t done Dexa or bod pod.
    Not too many places have the equipment. And it's not cheap either.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    The obligatory chart that sometimes gets posted on this website/app needs updating. Lol

pdxsoajgu5ak.jpeg

Yeah, I don't look like the 40% picture. In all honesty, I look more like I'm between the 25-30% range. Maybe I'm delusional, but I don't know what I've been doing these past several years if my body fat really is at 40%. That would be way too depressing.

I will say I took my picture in a sports bra and underwear, not "tight-fitting clothes" that were recommended. I also am doubly bloated today and already have a slightly protruding belly due to 2 sections and slight lordosis, anyway, which was definitely apparent in the picture. At any rate, I guess I'll just keep plugging away at trying lower my body fat while increasing muscle.
  • L1zardQueen
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I think also I look more like 25% or less but not 30%. The gal at 30% is seriously curvy and I am more like shaped like a rectangle. 😝
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    The app gave me 26% bodyfat. I've never had a dexa scan or anything like it, but at 5ft5 and 151lbs (BMI 25) and still a good amount of 'flab' I find it highly unlikely.
    In college, when I was probably 10lbs lighter, the bio impedance scale in my gym gave me a bodyfat percentage in the low thirties. I might have a bit more muscle now, but unlikely my bodyfat is lower now than it was then.

I might have to try another scan in a different outfit and see if it changes anything.
  • mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I couldnt get the app to work on my phone. Maybe it's my phone - but it loaded and whenI got to the screen with the camera and pushed nothing happened.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,349 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    mpkpbk2015 wrote: »
    I couldnt get the app to work on my phone. Maybe it's my phone - but it loaded and whenI got to the screen with the camera and pushed nothing happened.

I had the same issue. Go to your profile, scroll down to Manage My Account and start the premium subscription (with free one month trial). That's what worked for me!
  • natasor1
    natasor1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I look more like 12-18%, scale said I m 32% but Usculp device said I m 14%
  • mpkpbk2015
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    mpkpbk2015 wrote: »

I had the same issue. Go to your profile, scroll down to Manage My Account and start the premium subscription (with free one month trial). That's what worked for me!

Thanks that worked - Got 2 different results 26% - from photo on phone taken this morning 30 from photo my daughter just took directly from the app. My scale said this morning 19 so my numbers are all over the place. But thanks for helping me to get it working don't know which is right. Was just curious anyway. Have a great day. My scale is probaby off no way do I have 19% BF. :)

• mpkpbk2015
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

Good luck. If it comes back higher than you'd like remember what they always say, what gets measured gets managed.

I am with you my scale say 19.2 BF, this app said 26.53 and then 30.39 all on the same day. Same out fit. Who know.
  • mpkpbk2015
    Options
    Admins please remove this if inappropriate, I have no personal interest in this company but seems pretty interesting.

I was listening to a Podcast interview with the inventors of the Made Health and Fitness App. It was developed by 2 PhDs in Kinesiology at the University of Alabama. Basically you take a full body picture in tight clothing and the app analyzes based on a bunch of algorithms to give your body composition in about 30 seconds. Per the website, your picture is not transmitted anywhere, just the metrics the app gathers.

This story on the University of Alabama's website describes it in more detail:

https://news.ua.edu/2020/10/health-and-fitness-app-developed-at-ua-launches/

I bit and tried it. I found as advertised, my BF% as measured on the app was almost exactly what a recent DEXA Scan showed.

thanks for the share - I bit and tried it too. quite interesting. meant to say that a moment ago <3