What you may NOT be doing to get a flatter stomach

Options
2»

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,624 Member
    Options
    Things are fine here. I had to do a mad dash to the UK for 10weeks, that included isolation on both ends, that was rather stressful.

I hope that things are OK with all your UK relatives.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,624 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your loss Heather. Really glad that your family managed to get together especially given the restrictions. It must have been a significant undertaking!
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    *snip*

@MaltedTea I don’t see you in this thread but I know you and I had discussed this with @ninerbuff briefly in another thread.

So, I’ve been doing these ab contractions while I’ve been walking the past couple of weeks, and feel like they’re making a real difference and mayyyyyybe, just maybe, helping with the mucho extra skin on my belly.

*snip*

Actually, it was the equally insightful @sardelsa over in this thread. That said, I haven't incorporated them regularly into my practice but HAVE seen more mentions of them since she brought it up.

So the fact that @ninerbuff started this thread means the universe is trying to tell me something: vacuum your guts lol

Glad that you're seeing results @springlering62

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    @ninerbuff
    Just be aware NOT to hunch your shoulders forward while doing them walking which is a common issue. Keep them shoulders "packed" (retract them back and not forward).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Lurve your terminology. You're the definition of inspiring.

• Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    @ninerbuff
    Just be aware NOT to hunch your shoulders forward while doing them walking which is a common issue. Keep them shoulders "packed" (retract them back and not forward).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Lurve your terminology. You're the definition of inspiring.

Yes! It's interesting you brought this up. I'm in physical therapy yet again, but this time for a shoulder issue and not my low back. When I go to the shoulder depression/retraction exercises, I find myself going into an exaggerated anterior pelvic tilt, which is the opposite of what this move is and what you're describing. However, it's the same concept. If we're weak in one area, when we go to challenge that weakness, we might try to compensate by finding stability in another part of the body.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,056 Member
    Options
    Late to the party on this thread, but I found it interesting when Arnold Schwarzenegger was asked about some differences between competitive body building in his youth versus today, he pointed out how he, Frank Zane, Sergio Oliva, and the other greats from the first Olympia competitions all were avid users of belly-button vacuuming, which created a marked difference in aesthetic compared to today's winners.