Fellow Pescatarians (or not)

Options
Hi everyone! So I just started this yesterday. My main goal is to lose 100 lbs... but Id just like to get started! I gained 40 lbs just last year from horrible junk food and being super inactive and stressed. I'm mainly a vegetarian that eats a little bit of seafood. So my diet is comprised of way too much pasta, carbs and sweets. I'm trying to go cold turkey on the desserts and to eat more veggies and lower carb things. Need some yummy meal ideas that's not just solid vegetables. Id also like to start walking for at least an hour everyday. Its kinda discouraging though cause I keep reading things online that says exercise really doesn't help lose weight...its like 90% diet. What do you all think? Did walking (or whatever you do) help lose more weight then just sitting around?
Feel free to add me as a friend! I need some motivation!

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Regarding walking: if you're starting out sedentary, you will need to build up to walking for a full hour - it's an endurance sport, and while it's harder to *seriously* injure yourself walking as opposed to running, you can still get shin splints/plantar fasciitis if you overtax muscles that aren't used to working that hard for that long, which is unpleasant at best. Start out with shorter walks and gradually build up to 60 minutes. Set a timer for 5 minutes, pick a direction, walk, turn around and come back the way you came when the timer goes off. Increase the time a little bit each day. You should also take a look at your walking shoes - if you're planning to do this in a pair of gross old beat-up sneakers you bought circa 2005, treat yourself to a new pair. Your feet will appreciate it. You don't need to shell out hundreds of dollars for the latest and greatest in athletic footwear, a pair of New Balances from Shoe Carnival will do.

If you're able to give up dessert forever, then that's great for you; my approach this go-round has been "no temporary changes." I'm not making a change if I don't think I can stick with it forever. Dessert will still be there and will still have calories when you reach GW. If you don't learn to live with it now, you run the risk of going back to your old habits...and that will lead you right back to where you are now.