default macronutrient goal and daily goals don't agree

Options
I set my default protein goal to 35% (189g) but when I access the nutrients in day view (today) from the bottom of the diary screen, it tells me that my protein goal is 249g and that I need to eat 126g more protein (when in fact it should be more like 65)! Can someone tell me what's going on here?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Did you log exercise? When you log exercise, you get additional calories to "eat back" to account for that, as it is not accounted for in your activity level if you set your activity level the way MFP intends you to do.
  • zalamander1
    zalamander1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    yes I did thanks for the answer. This doesn't make sense though, it defeats the intention of goal setting... The only solution I found was to decouple MFP completely from apple health rather than pay a premium prescription (I'm only using it to count macros - so it's too expensive just for that feature).
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Well it does make sense, because the goal is set to 35% of your daily calories. If your calorie goal goes up (because you exercise and in MFP are expected to eat back those calories), then the number of grams that constitutes 35% also goes up.

E.g. 35% of 2000 calories is fewer grams than 35% of 2300 calories.
  • zalamander1
    zalamander1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I guess that the problem lies in the use of ratios rather than absolute values and the assumption that people always want to eat the calories they burn off - but I see your point Redordead - thanks for taking the time to reply.