All the ingredients have finally Arrived! (Low Carb Bread)

Options
Poobah1972
Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
edited February 2021 in Food and Nutrition
It's been almost 2 weeks... I've been cruelly anticipating ingredients that somehow have taken longer to arrive then the standard fare.

But as of this moment... I have them all.

This recipe, from all account is as good as the real thing... And it's even lower calorie on top of it? Is it true? Does such a home made bread really exist? Inquiring minds want to know (well at least i do). Cause right now I'm paying about 14 bucks canadian for tiny loaf (like tiny) of bread.

So if anyone low carb'n, hasn't heard of it... The recipe as I understand it was made by a Lady named Diedre and you can actually find her making the bread with a bread machine by googling Diedre's "For Real" Low Carb Bread.

I'm all in on this weight loss, so all in I went ahead and bought a Zojirushi Virtuoso Plus automatic bread maker (retails for about 500+ canadian) on sale on Amazon for 387ish. The thing is this thing makes a full size loaf at 5" wide x 9" long x as much as 7" high depending on how well it rises (something I will need to fine tune). (that's a huge slice, double or triple the area of the current tiny loaf I'm dealing with and less calories per volume.) Plus you need to very skilled to sop up 2 egg yokes with that tiny little toast. So larger toast would be very welcome. :wink:

This means... I should be able to get 18 slices of bread with a very dainty calorie and Net carb count. Specifically...

Per Slice (18 per Loaf)
89 Calories
Total Fat 4.0 Grams
Total Carbohydrates 5.4 Grams
Dietary Fiber 3.8 Grams
NET Carbs 1.6 Grams
Protein 10.3 Gram

I've pretty much stole the rest of this from a Reddit post. However for those that are wondering.

The claim is... It tastes like bread, chews like bread, tears like bread, feels like bread, and even toasts a bit (not great, but similar to wheat bread). And it sure as heck smells like bread while it’s Baking. The flavor a similar to white bread crossed with a wheat bread.

Is the above statement true? I don't know yet... but this is the weekend I will find out!

Recipe:

• 1 cup of water - 246 g
• 1 Tbsp.Saf Instant Yeast ( 11 g )
• 1 tsp of real honey ( 7 g ) (or Substitute 1 tsp of sugar. (Note the yeast will eat this during rise and isn’t counted in the carb count)
• 2 eggs, slightly beaten, room temperature.
• 1/2 Cup Oat Fiber - 38 g
• 2/3 Cup Ground Golden Flax Meal - 84 g
• 1 1/4 Cup Vital Wheat Gluten - 192 g
• 1/2 tsp of Xanthum Gum - 1 g
• 1 tsp of salt - 6 g
• 2 Tbsp. of softened butter - 28 g

Instructions for Mixer

1. Microwave 1 cup of water for about 45 seconds until it is 100-110 °F
2. Pour your honey into the water and mix it around so it dissolves
3. Add your yeast into the honey water and stir it around
4. Add in your remaining ingredients in the order listed above
5. Mix for about Update: I've noticed that kneading it for longer (upwards of 15 minutes) results in a better dough. The end result shouldn't be shaggy looking, and it should bounce back a bit when you push on it with your finger.
6. Put into a loaf pan, cover with oven-safe saran wrap that has been sprayed with non-stick spray
7. Microwave 2 cups of water until it begins to boil (about 2 minutes). Keep this in the microwave to make it warm and humid.
8. Place loaf in the microwave BUT DO NOT TURN IT ON. Leave it in there for Update: 2-3 hours. to allow the dough to rise (You can also use the oven on low. But, again, you are not microwaving the dough -- you're just putting the dough in the microwave while it is off).
9. Put in oven for 20-25 minutes at 375 degrees.

I'm going to just use my bread maker with the help of Diedre's Video.

I'll report back with pictures and my humble opinion as to whether this is as good as they claim! (so excited, just can't hide it.)

Have any of you already tried it by chance?

Replies