Planned volume

Options
Hi! I know this is probably a silly question but what is planned volume? I made a custom workout and it has weight next to certain exercises. Is that my weight? I’m so lost lol

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I haven't played around with this tool yet, so I just went in to see what you were talking about. It looks like "Planned Volume" is how many pounds of weight you are planning to move over the course of a strength workout (e.g., if you lift a 25 lb dumbbell 30 times, your "planned volume" is 750 lbs - 25 times 30 is 750). That...isn't how I've ever conceptualized weightlifting, but maybe I'm just a filthy casual, who knows. It looks like MFP calculates this value for you, so you can probably safely ignore it unless you want to talk about your workout in terms of, idk, how many cans of soup you moved or whatever.

When it asks for a weight in lbs next to some exercises, that's the weight of the dumbbell/barbell/kettlebell/etc that you're using. If you're using resistance bands, usually they're rated in terms of pounds as well, so go by what's printed on the band. If you're planning to just do the movement without adding any resistance, you'll input 0lbs for the weight.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options
    Volume with lifting usually relates to sets and reps for an exercise. However according to above it's volume of repsxweight for total weightlifted.......................I've never used it that way with clients though. Like goal06082021 stated, that's kinda odd.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if I bench-pressed 50 lbs for 20 reps I wouldn't go around saying I benched 1000 lbs, that would be wild. I fully admit to ignorance about the physiology/kinesiology piece of it, but surely picking up a 50lb thing 20 times is not equivalent to picking up a 1000lb thing one time, in any way, other than mathematically?
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if I bench-pressed 50 lbs for 20 reps I wouldn't go around saying I benched 1000 lbs, that would be wild. I fully admit to ignorance about the physiology/kinesiology piece of it, but surely picking up a 50lb thing 20 times is not equivalent to picking up a 1000lb thing one time, in any way, other than mathematically?
    As far as tonnage goes, yes. As far as intensity goes, no.

That’s why volume, intensity, frequency etc are near meaningless by themselves. They must be taken in context with one another.