What a disappointment

Options
ReenieHJ
ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
I love clementines, seedless and juicy. I bought a bag at the store and they're awful. Seeds galore, dry, just yuck. But I hate to waste the money so spending too much time picking them apart and grumbling. :blush:

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I love oranges with lunch and there's nothing worse than spending all morning anticipating my orange and then opening it and it's all dry and flavorless.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Aww, it sucks to lose at Grocery Store Orange Roulette. I've had decent luck with these Raspberry Oranges I've been buying at Aldi, but I've never gotten a bag of clementines from there that weren't dry and nasty with at least a couple that seemed to go all green and moldy the second I turn my back on them.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way every time I buy a cantaloupe. Flip a coin...will it have any flavor or not?
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    You could try taking them back. Ugh.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way every time I buy a cantaloupe. Flip a coin...will it have any flavor or not?

A couple nights ago I dreamed I bought a melon and it was a dud. Woke up so annoyed.
  • strebor337
    strebor337 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    That's how I feel about peaches. There's like one week of the year when they're perfectly amazing, and other than that they're all mealy and flavorless.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    A lot of disappointment this week because a lot of stuff is affected by the weather. Even stuff from Central and South America.
  • Hamiltonfamily2018
    Options
    A lot of disappointment this week because a lot of stuff is affected by the weather. Even stuff from Central and South America.

Right! Strawberries are non-existent right now.

• DaffyGirl88
    DaffyGirl88 Posts: 4,497 Member
    Options
    Aww, it sucks to lose at Grocery Store Orange Roulette. I've had decent luck with these Raspberry Oranges I've been buying at Aldi, but I've never gotten a bag of clementines from there that weren't dry and nasty with at least a couple that seemed to go all green and moldy the second I turn my back on them.

Raspberry oranges? Never heard of them, sounds intriguing.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    @DaffyGirl88 they're great! Sort of like a cross between a proper blood orange and a navel orange - there's no characteristic bellybutton as on the navel orange but the peel/pith is similar, in that it's quite thick and oily, but the flesh looks like a sunset, fading from pale gold to deep purple, and it's sweet and delicious.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm not a big orange or tangerine person myself, but when I do buy them, I find clementines are hit or miss. I've also discovered that in general, the Cutie brand is better than the Halo brand (which tend to be cheaper than the Cuties).

My kids had navel oranges with breakfast that were actually part of the free breakfast/lunch program that most schools have been participating in for all kids since the pandemic. Anyway, he said it was so bad he couldn't eat it, and he's usually not all that picky. My daughter, who's typically the pickier one, ate hers!
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the Cuties are usually pretty good. For a while, my grocery store replaced them with some knock-off called "Darlings" (get it?), and they were really bad. Thankfully, after a few months, they brought the Cuties back.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    strebor337 wrote: »
    That's how I feel about peaches. There's like one week of the year when they're perfectly amazing, and other than that they're all mealy and flavorless.

I'm in Massachusetts and get my peaches from a local orchard. They are unbelievable for a good 6 weeks. No more supermarket peaches for me!
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Thanks for the tips on clementine brands! I bought a bag of something around Thanksgiving and they were terrible. I would normally bring them back but didn't get around to it. I will make sure I buy Cuties in the future.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,259 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting thread!! I gave up on clementines a few months ago for the exact reasons you have. I got so tired of the hit or miss of a good bag. Lately I have been getting heirloom navels and they are incredible. They have been for a few weeks. I know that citrus season will be winding down, so I'm getting my fill. Maybe it wasn't a good clementine year? I'm using up last year's blackberries, raspberries and strawberries and anticipating this year's. Berry picking was a great COVID activity!
  • kshama2001
    Options
    I'm most disappointed by avocados.

flat,800x800,075,f.u3.jpg
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    I always buy Cuties each week. 2 bags because we go through them pretty quick. 2 clementines for about 80 calories is great snack.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png