Steps taken versus exercise walking/hiking

Options
useyourthorns
useyourthorns Posts: 30 Member
edited February 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
Could I get a little clarification, I see that the steps taken from my Google Fit are imported, but "walking" as an exercise must be added separate? Are the steps simply to assess lifestyle? As in if I got for a walk in the dunes, I should make sure to log it as exercise and not just import the steps taken?

Thank you!

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    If you are wearing a tracker full-time and have it synced, don't log any exercise you do while you're wearing it (this isn't a perfect solution, as trackers are pretty abysmal at accounting for non-steady state cardio and non-cardio exercise, so you may want to rethink how you're using the tracker if you do a lot of exercise that isn't steady-state cardio).
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Record it as exercise when you want to have a recording. Maybe you want to be able to see how often you did a certain route, if you're doing it faster than you used to, etc. If you're just going to get the mail it's probably not going to be useful to record it. 🙂

The way it's supposed to work is the system figures everything out. You get calories for the steps you take getting the mail and everything else, you get calories for the exercise you log, and the computers are smart enough to not count the same thing twice. (Recording a hike as a hike might get you a better calorie estimate though because it has a better understanding of what you're doing.)