Ready to quit!

Options
So I posted a few weeks after I had started exercising trying to lose some weight that it seems like my clothes are getting tighter. Well I've been tracking my food intake and trying to stick to my exercising, but it really is not helping. Now I have more weight to lose...I'm not sure how I'm gaining weight. I know muscle weighs more than fat, but I haven't really gained any muscle that I can tell. I'm getting so discouraged! I feel like I may as well just eat whatever I want and stop trying cuz what's the point?? I now weigh more than I ever have, except for maybe when I was pregnant, and would like to lose like 20 lbs. I've never had to worry much about my weight before, so I guess part of it could be that I'm getting older and the weight won't come off like it would have 20 years ago! I don't know. All I know is that when I put a skirt on first thing in the morning and I can barely wiggle it past my thighs and then of course its uncomfortable, I feel like crap about myself. But if anyone has any suggestions or words of encouragement, I could use it about now...my freezer is full of ice cream that is calling my name...

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Well quitting will only make it worse, honestly.

This system works, but you have to be accurate... You have to weigh everything (measuring spoons or cups don't really cut it), log everything that you put in your mouth, make sure you don't overestimate the calories you burn from exercise or your daily activity, eat back the calories you spend working out etc.

I want to lose 20 lbs too now and I can tell already that it's going to be harder... but the only way to get where you want to get is to stick it out, and eventually you will see results. When you have less to lose though, it gets harder, you don't need a bigger calorie deficit so it's much easier to eat too much. That's where logging consistency is key.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    You're in charge of you, so IF you want to quit and stay fat and unhappy, than it's all on you.

ETA: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Please check this out
  • AlexCh23
    Options
    Nooooo! You can't quit! Don't let a few steps backwards lead to miles in the wrong direction. Part of your problem may lie with the your age since your metabolism won't be what it used to be (a fact of life). My advice would be to go back to basics. Calculate how many calories you need per day and track every single thing you eat. Drink plenty of fluids! Not only will you feel better but in my experience it does help you to lose weight (maybe psychological?). Keep exercising too! Calories in vs calories out. Try resistance training? Build some muscle (don't worry about getting too big and bulky... You won't). The more muscle you have the higher your metabolism will be. Please don't quit!
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    ... I know muscle weighs more than fat...

No.
    I feel like I may as well just eat whatever I want and stop trying cuz what's the point??

No.
    I'm getting older and the weight won't come off like it would have 20 years ago!

No.
    my freezer is full of ice cream that is calling my name...

Yes.

Seriously, OP, relax. Eat some ice cream and stop stressing. Go here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ , figure out your TDEE-20%, eat that many calories, and give it a month. Just chill.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary? That might help us give you a better assessment.
  • LivvieO
    LivvieO Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Don't quit, that wont do anything but make you feel worst. May I suggest looking at things like a lifestyle change, not just a change to loose 20lbs also, start with smaller goals; maybe 5lbs over a 2 month period or so. This might sound crazy but I find tracking my calories burned with an app like runtastic helps to keep me motivated. I try to increase the amount of calories I burn every day..its like a competition with myself. The good think is that it links to MFP and automatically uploads (its fun to see the extra calorie room on days when I want to let loose and pig out) Along with tracking the calories burned ensure you are tracking everything you eat accurately and most importantly add a lot more fresh veggies and water to your diet.

Hopefully you will find the courage to get over this mental roadblock because once you overcome it, you'll be much more relaxed and focused on your ultimate goal.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I can understand what you are going through, I tried to change my life style and eating habits in the past hoping to lose weight and got really disheartened when it didn't work.

However I found this site and obtained support and advice from many on here and it seems to be working for me as I am sure it will work for you once you get everything set up correctly.

So back to basics is my advice, reset everything to what you weigh now, check the exercise levels you have got entered and get some friends on here to encourage and help you through the low times.

It might also help if you opened your food diary for people to check and post your details, height, weight, age and what you are looking to lose, also calorie intake that MFP is recommending. Most will probably ask to see them as a check that you are in the right area.

Iced Cream can make you happy in the short term (I know this for a fact lol) but giving up and gaining weight won't. So give it another go, what have you to lose other than the weight you want to shed
  • sub10orbust
    sub10orbust Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    ... I know muscle weighs more than fat...

No.
    I feel like I may as well just eat whatever I want and stop trying cuz what's the point??

No.
    I'm getting older and the weight won't come off like it would have 20 years ago!

No.
    my freezer is full of ice cream that is calling my name...

Yes.

Seriously, OP, relax. Eat some ice cream and stop stressing. Go here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ , figure out your TDEE-20%, eat that many calories, and give it a month. Just chill.

came in to post this
  • PaulHalicki
    PaulHalicki Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Okay, bye.

Seriously, if your first reaction to adversity is to quit, you're not ready for the commitment you need to lose weight.

I've only been around for less than a week, but if you ask me, this site doesn't set low enough calorie targets, and gives too much calorie credit for physical activity. For instance, I rode 44 miles today, and it says I should be able to eat almost 3000 extra calories because of that. If I listened to them I'd be as big as a house.

If you don't think the limits are working for you (they're too lax), then be more aggressive with your weight loss targets. If you said you want to lose a pound a week, change that to 2 pounds. See how that works.

But honestly, not all weight loss methods work for all people. The answer really might be that the methods in MyFitnessPal just aren't appropriate for your physical and psychological makeup. You may need another method like Weight Watchers or a physical trainer or something.

But if you decide to stick around, I think you'll eventually learn how to use MFP to keep track of your intake and exercise in a way that will help your weight loss.

Good luck. This is hard stuff. If it was easy, we'd all be skinny.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates if you are not prepared for that this may not be the time for you also this isn't going to be an overnight success story its going to take a lot of hard work and time. Mine goes up and down as much as 6lbs from time to time I just have to keep plugging along with my workouts and sticking to my calories if I want o eat something that may be deemed as not so healthy I do so without guilt I just fit it into my daily caloric intake...my workouts are 6 days a week and really 30-70min...you really have to find whats going to work with your lifestyle and give it your best shot..it isn't going to benefit you at all to pick it apart and complain mentally it will drain you try to be happy and think about the Pros and not the Cons...if you want to quit it just may not be your time to start something like this...but think about it what are you really quitting? Living a healthy lifestyle that may add years onto your life?
  • lisammystery
    Options
    Don't give up! Your clothes may very well get tight developing muscles. Adjust your diet. High proteins and lower the carbs. I have lowered my carbs to 90 grams per day. That means lots of green veggies and chicken. I even sneak in a bowl of STEELE CUT Oates oatmeal every day. When reading labels read the carbs not calories. you will be surprised how many carbs are in things that you would think would not have a one. For example check out ketchup or cocktail sauce when you go grocery shopping next time. Also when you give up the fat in fat free items you are usually adding a couple of grams of carbs( because for what ever reason). to the fat free item.

What type of exercise are you doing? Try three days aerobic and two days muscle building. Take it easy on the heavy weights. Less weight more reps.

What are you eating? Is it high in sodium? you could be retaining water. Where are you in your menstral cycle? gaining up to 7 pound during certain times is not unusual.

Lemons and apple cider vinager are natural diuretics.

Well I hope that helps. You will be glad you hung in there in the end.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! Your clothes may very well get tight developing muscles. Adjust your diet. High proteins and lower the carbs. I have lowered my carbs to 90 grams per day. That means lots of green veggies and chicken. I even sneak in a bowl of STEELE CUT Oates oatmeal every day. When reading labels read the carbs not calories. you will be surprised how many carbs are in things that you would think would not have a one. For example check out ketchup or cocktail sauce when you go grocery shopping next time. Also when you give up the fat in fat free items you are usually adding a couple of grams of carbs( because for what ever reason). to the fat free item.

What type of exercise are you doing? Try three days aerobic and two days muscle building. Take it easy on the heavy weights. Less weight more reps.

What are you eating? Is it high in sodium? you could be retaining water. Where are you in your menstral cycle? gaining up to 7 pound during certain times is not unusual.

I just want to say that most of this is awful advice.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    1 how tall are you? How much do you weigh?
    2 What do you do for a living?
    3 How much do you exercise?
    4 What activity level did you set yourself at?
    5 How many calories are you eating every day?

I can't help you without all the information.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    :explode: u quiter! he gots no euvous-
  • jt032093
    Options
    First off, DO NOT QUIT! I know the feeling way to well. It seems like the weight just appeared, but lets get real, it takes years to gain 20 plus pounds (usually), so it's going to be a long journey, one I am very familiar with. Focus on how you feel, stay away from the scale, drink more water, less bread, and if your feeling down, go for a long walk. Stay positive by just knowing that your willing to do it for your health.
  • lisammystery
    Options
    oh yes clean out all bad things in your cupboard and frig so you won't be tempted. sculpting the body is an art. And just like sculpturing a statue it takes practice and time to perfect the art. So practice practice. as far as it might not be your time to lose weight???? No better time than the present!!!!!! Hang in there!:flowerforyou:

Lisa
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Okay, bye.

Seriously, if your first reaction to adversity is to quit, you're not ready for the commitment you need to lose weight.

I've only been around for less than a week, but if you ask me, this site doesn't set low enough calorie targets, and gives too much calorie credit for physical activity. For instance, I rode 44 miles today, and it says I should be able to eat almost 3000 extra calories because of that. If I listened to them I'd be as big as a house.

If you don't think the limits are working for you (they're too lax), then be more aggressive with your weight loss targets. If you said you want to lose a pound a week, change that to 2 pounds. See how that works.

But honestly, not all weight loss methods work for all people. The answer really might be that the methods in MyFitnessPal just aren't appropriate for your physical and psychological makeup. You may need another method like Weight Watchers or a physical trainer or something.

But if you decide to stick around, I think you'll eventually learn how to use MFP to keep track of your intake and exercise in a way that will help your weight loss.

Good luck. This is hard stuff. If it was easy, we'd all be skinny.

This and a whole host of other stuff people have written on here...

Quit and give up, but you're only getting fatter because you're doing it wrong. You probably are not being honest or accurate with your expenditure and intake.

Same reason when I put on weight, I know hand on heart that it's because I ate a little bit here and a little bit there, a mouthful of this and a bite of that and that cleaning can't really be counted as exercise and that the calorie burn was probably about 20% less than the machine...

I also know that eating to or under my calorie allowance but eating crap makes me hold on to water, bloat up, make my skin feel crap and mess up my hormones and mind. And that in turn makes me less likely to exercise and more sleepy when i come down from my sugar high and crash.

What do you want people to tell you to do? Not quit? We can't force you. You've got to want to do it, and if you really want to do it. You won't give up. You'll just realise the first way didn't work, try something new, adjust a few bits and pieces, give it a good 4-6 weeks to see some results and then adjust as necessary. Until you get to the perfect iteration for you.
  • cbattles516
    cbattles516 Posts: 39 Member
    Options

I've noticed this too. My Garmin with HR monitor says I burned ~800C in 1:20 minutes/ 18 miles of riding. Strava says 1300C and MFP says 1400C. That's a whole large DiGiorno pepperoni pizza! (I only wish it was true...) I stick with the Garmin data, being the lowest. Be very careful with the generic exercise calorie estimates.

On the other hand, stick it out for a while. Plateaus are real, body weight fluctuates daily depending on food and water intake. If you're a woman, then you have other biological functions that throw your weight around. Spend some time tracking your calories carefully, not over estimating your exercise, and see how you do over a longer time span. My bet is that the pounds will come off.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options

I just want to say that most of this is awful advice.

Agreed x Infinity. Makes more sense when you see it's from someone with zero lbs lost.
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    No change for me for the first 2 months. I stuck with it. I had no choice I despised being obese!! Every day I praised myself that the scale stopped moving to the dreaded right at least. I walked. After two months of being in the dark and doing the right thing, I asked myself is it worth it? The next day 8 pounds fell off. I was like fiinally. Give it time. This is a lifestyle change.