Bad entries

Options
I thought that the little green sign when you are entering foods was an indication that there is some validity to that one above the rest. But anytime I enter sugar I keep falling for the green symbol and ending up with this one sugar entry that shows I've reached my sugar goal. I had Malt o Meal with one teaspoon of sugar for breakfast and it put me 48 grams of sugar over for the day. The sugar shows 100 G of sugar per teaspoon. Whenever I run into it I flag it but it doesn't seem to matter. Can someone tell me exactly what that green symbol means?

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    The little green symbol basically means it's a popular entry at this point. More or less the entire database is crowdsourced.

Also, a TEASPOON of sugar is definitely not 100 grams. It's more like 5 grams. If you don't already have a food scale, get one and start weighing your solids. Cups and spoons are OK for liquids, but anything solid should be measured and logged by mass.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Unfortunately that it's green doesn't mean it's right. Lots of people don't care about anything but cals, so might check an entry as correct when it is not in some respects.

For packaged foods, compare with your package and keep searching (there are usually lots of different entries for the same thing) until you find one that matters. If you can't find one, you can correct an entry and that will become the version for your personal use, I think.

For whole foods and generic ingredients like sugar, there will be a correct entry in there, just keep searching. I would imagine there are a huge number of sugar entries. I just searched and the first one that came up was 1 tsp has 4 g of sugar and 16 cals.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,110 Member
    Options
    If I can't find it in the first 5 or 6 I look at, I just edit the top one on the list.

My problem is that I only use grams and a lot of the food entries don't have grams as an option so I just edit one, or create a new entry.

Once you either edit or create one it becomes a "My Food." Once you use it in your FOOD page, then it will be in your "Recents" list. Could not be easier.

I don't waste time trying to find one that is right. As long as I don't save it to the database using the "Share" (or whatever it says) then no one ever sees it but me. It doesn't harm the entry for the person who originally entered it, either. Hers stays the same.