Low Intensity Running Plan

I am a runner, average 25-30 miles per week with a pace around 9 minutes. I haven't completed any races since November 2019. I have noticed that I have fallen into the rut of the medium intensity runs 100% of the time but with an ever increasing HR- sometimes hitting 175 to 180 even in the cool winter wearther. A friend of mine suggested taking the next 12 weeks to follow a low intensity running plan, keeping my HR at 145 or less, even if that means taking walk breaks to keep it low. Eventually your body will learn to run faster at a lower HR supposedly. That sounds plausible and I'm willing to give it a try since I have no races scheduled until July. My questions is: Should I also do one day a week of speedwork whether a fartlek or intervals or just run all 5 runs at a slow pace? Thanks.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Check out 80/20 types of running plans (80% of your runs at low intensity) Based on 5 runs a week that would be 4 easy to moderate and one faster / speedwork. You didn't say how long you've been running for but hitting 175 to 180 sounds a bit intense for every run (I hit that racing or doing hill repeats)
  • MarttaHP
    MarttaHP Posts: 68 Member
    You do need some higher intensity runs for your speed to improve. Low-intensity workouts are very important and should make up the majority of your training, but you do need to push yourself in order to improve.

Like you, I had been doing for a few years mostly low- and medium-level runs (HR zones 2 and 3) before I started following an HR-based training program that incorporated a variety of runs of different lengths and intensities. I saw pretty rapid progress in my running speed and endurance.

If you have an upcoming race, maybe consider finding a program designed for that distance and start following that? Me, I'm currently training for a marathon in May following a Garmin program.