Iron

Options
I am trying to get more iron in my diet. Does anyone have any go to ideas. I prefer to eat vegetarian but have been adding steak to my salad just to get a little. The highest I have gotten is 12% for the day.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,419 Member
    Options
    If you're trusting the count from MFP for iron, you may be getting more than you think: Since not all labels include iron, and since the database entries come from regular MFP users some of whom may not enter everything that's on the label anyway, the MFP total may be lower than the amount you're truly eating. Maybe take a typical day, use something like the USDA nutrition database to spot-check your iron intake for accuracy?

Or, unless you already know for sure you're deficient . . . next time you see your doctor, ask for blood tests to assess your iron level? Even things like cooking acid foods in cast iron pans can affect iron levels.

Tofu, beans/legumes, some nuts/seeds are some things that are usually good vegetarian sources.

(I'm vegetarian, don't supplement, and my blood-iron levels have been fine, FWIW. I do eat dairy, though.)
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Liquid chlorophyll! Midwife recommended it and it works!
    LORD JESUS bless 💟
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Beets, kale, green bananas (cooked, eaten like smashed potatoes or whole) and the following:

Some of the best plant sources of iron are:

Beans and lentils.
    Tofu.
    Baked potatoes.
    Cashews.
    Dark green leafy vegetables such as spinach, kale
    Fortified breakfast cereals.
    Whole-grain and enriched breads.
  • HabitRabbit
    HabitRabbit Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    socajam wrote: »
    Beets, kale, green bananas (cooked, eaten like smashed potatoes or whole) and the following:

Some of the best plant sources of iron are:

Beans and lentils.
    Tofu.
    Baked potatoes.
    Cashews.
    Dark green leafy vegetables such as spinach, kale
    Fortified breakfast cereals.
    Whole-grain and enriched breads.

Cashews! Just now I pulled out all my various bags of nuts and compared them and none of the others came even close to cashews by serving size or by calorie. I’m surprised, and delighted actually.
  • meeppeepneep
    meeppeepneep Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    take an iron supplement.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,019 Member
    Options
    Seconding what Jane said.

Iron supplements have their place but one should only do so on medical advice - and that advice would only be given with known iron deficiency - ie after blood tests.