Smoothies

Options
staciw
staciw Posts: 58 Member
I just ditched my 1980's blender and got a new one - pretty excited. Love that it only has one button. On or off. I had no idea what those 15 buttons were for with my other blender!

I'd really like to try some good smoothies. I've never had a "real" smoothie - made by someone who knows what they're doing. I make them about 2-3 times a week for my three young (under 6) sons. I typically just use over ripe fruit, some greek vanilla yogurt, something green and leafy and maybe a splash of juice if it's too sour from the yogurt. However, they just aren't that great. The kids drink them, but they don't really like them. Same with me.

Anyone willing to share some tried and true smoothie recipes or ideas that even kids might enjoy. Honestly, sometimes the only reason they drink mine is because we play the "guessing game" where they taste them and try to identify all of the things that are in them. I really wish that they would LOVE them though!

Only thing we can't have is tree nuts (peanut butter ok) - one of the littles has an allergy.

Replies

• hulahoopmama
    hulahoopmama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have a coffee cart and am always making up new recipes for it! Some of our best sellers include Mango Madness and Berry Blast. Its really about having a base that works then just add whatever you're feeling like

Base we use:

Fill cup you want to use with ice, pour it into blender
    add about 1/2 cup of preferred fruit
    Apple Juice (OJ too tart) to 3/4" of ice/fruit pile for thick smoothie and to the top of the pile for runny smoothie
    something creamy, a scoop of frozen yogurt or ice cream OR I use a 1/2 cup of almond milk.

For Mango we use 1/2 cup frozen mango that is diced and Berry Blast we use one of those frozen tri-berry mixes.

As far as greens go I personally find them too bitter to add to a smoothie but if I did add them I would add them to something sweeter, for instance a bluberry or strawberry version of above and instead of Applie Juice add more milk or frozen delight.
  • staciw
    staciw Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    thank you! That's exactly the kind of recipe I was hoping for. I like the flexibility of that!
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I use 1/2 cup frozen blueberries, 1/2 cup frozen strawberries, one container of vanilla yogart, diet splash about 1/2 cup and sweetner to taste. Dont need ice when the berries are frozen.
  • jamiesgirlforever
    Options
    Hi, I use coconut water in my smoothies, with either vanilla yogurt or strawberry depending on the berry I intend to use. The coconut water has natural sugar so I don't have to add sugar or other sweeteners. Then ice and maybe a little milk or coconut milk or almond milk, depending what I have on hand. I use a natural yogurt or something that has no artificial sweeteners. My husband and my son, love the strawberry smoothies made with the coconut water, strawberry yogurt, a touch of milk and vanilla protein powder. I add the protein so it is more filling. This is what I have every morning for breakfast on a weekday, because I can take it on the run. My son has them with his breakfast or takes them on the bus with him for the ride to school. He plays several sports so he needs the extra calories, but I just use mine as a meal replacement.
  • ny2298pdsgt
    ny2298pdsgt Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I love using frozen bananas, and strawberries with and OJ.
    6-8 oz OJ
    half a frozen banana
    2-3 strawberries
    some crushed ice and that's it.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    A banana
    A cup of frozen blueberries
    1/2 cup pineapple juice (or 1/4 cup each of pineapple juice & coconut water)
    1/2 cup Greek yogurt

Blend. Enjoy. :)
  • Paulie485
    Paulie485 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Everyday standby for our family of three:

1 Cup+ Greek Yogurt (Costco)
    1 Cup+ Frozen Fruit (Wawona Blend, Three Berries, Blueberries)
    1 Cup+ 2% milk

Substitutions: Banana, other fruit, Buttermilk, Fruit Juice. Adjust quantities for the number of people and whether it is the main part of your meal.
  • poundingthepounds
    Options
    I keep my freezer full of frozen fruit to throw into the blender, including bananas! I go to the grocery and request the old bananas which are usually discounted. I bring them home, peel them, cut them into chunks, and put them in a bag (I keep it flat so it's not just a huge rock of frozen bananas) and viola!

I always keep spinach as a staple because it's essentially tasteless when added to your smoothie.

I add chia seeds, flax seeds, maca root powder, and hemp hearts.

I also add cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and sometimes honey.

I use water as my base, sometimes green tea.

Experiment!
  • jmandmitch
    Options
    Hi im just starting out and am a bit overwhelmed already. How do you calorie count smoothies for a meal it seems to ta
    ke most of the days calories? Any ideas that can help would be great. Thanks