Why do I look skinnier than I weigh?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    Goal weight is so tricky as is comparing bodies (even at the same height). I prefer to have a target range for body fat percentage.

Many above have touched on body composition already. Are there other metrics you use to define your health and goals?
    I think you know the formula to know your desired body weight based on bodyfat % right?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Goal weight is so tricky as is comparing bodies (even at the same height). I prefer to have a target range for body fat percentage.

Many above have touched on body composition already. Are there other metrics you use to define your health and goals?
    I think you know the formula to know your desired body weight based on bodyfat % right?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Do share @ninerbuff!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    You don't look like you weigh 190... I would guess 140 or 145. Your sweater is baggy and could be hiding fat and maybe not.
    However.. you have an hourglass shape... your legs are thin and you have curves. Seems your curvy look works for you.. so why feel pressured to lose weight? Go with it.
    Im curious to see a picture of you at 130.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Do share @ninerbuff!
    For anyone (regardless of height or weight or gender) as long as you know you lean mass and the % of bodyfat you wish to be, you can find your target weight with this formula:

LEAN MASS divided by 1 minus desired body fat %

IE: Lean mass 100lbs desired body fat % is 20%

1- 20% or .20 = 80% or .80

Now apply formula

100 divided by .80 = 125lb

So target weight would be 125lbs if one wanted to be 20% body fat with a lean mass of 100lbs

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Also I think most people in real life are HORRIBLE when it comes to guessing people's weight. Most people always say oh wow I would have guess you weight _____ (always wayyyyyy less than they actually do). Also if I were to guess someones weight I would politely guess a lot less and act surprised when they weight more to be honest, lol.

I have noticed for very thin people as well. People always tell me I must be 90lbs when I am far from that.

This is definitely true in my experience too!

I know at my heaviest I was a little over 300 lb and sometimes people who were talking about weight would say something like, "not plus-sized like YOU, this lady was about 300 lb" and I didn't take it personally as I knew they didn't think I weighed 300 lb.

People now hear that I weigh 175-180 and they say "What!? You can't be more than 150" and I know they're just terrible judges of that stuff. No big deal.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Lol, it's somewhat different with many guys who work out. People look at me and say "dude you look like you weigh about 200lbs". And of course I smile full well knowing I weigh less. If you're muscular, when people tell you you look like more than you actually weigh, it's a compliment to your physique.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Personally think overweight/obesity have become the "new normal". This causes people to underestimate weight.

Just a follow on my earlier post:

jokzbh9qu8cy.png

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321003#:~:text=American women aged 20 years,not a measure of health.

The average woman in the USA is a bit under 5;4" and weighs 171 (very top end of normal BMI). A woman a couple inches taller and 20 pounds heavier looks very average (adjusting the weight for height), although 5'6", 190 puts one in the very low end of obese range per BMI.

Few people would think a an average woman in the US is 171 lbs.
    And the women's clothing line are good at manipulating "sizes" to help women feel good about what they are purchasing. A size 12 I believe is what a 14 was a few years ago.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Makes me think of the quote that “comparison is the thief of joy”. You just do you, honey.

Unless living in a vacuum results in one getting a false sense that all is well when it might not be (just a general comment).
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,563 Member
    Options
    Op... It looks like you have an hourglass figure, which means that extra padding is likely distributed into booty and bust gains, with some abdominal extra (which is hard to see).

When you lose weight, its possible that how you lose it makes you look or feel like it's not a good look.

You mention that you don't have a lot of muscle mass and you do rather like your shape... So might I recommend that you consider weight resistant training as opposed to dieting? Keep your calories at or close to maintenance and do some weight bearing activities. (and it's great for bone density and helping with overall health).

You might find you are happier with the results more than just losing weight / fat.

No matter what... The most important thing is that you are happy with yourself. If you like your current shape the best, then what is motivating you to change?
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Personally think overweight/obesity have become the "new normal". This causes people to underestimate weight.

Just a follow on my earlier post:

jokzbh9qu8cy.png

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321003#:~:text=American women aged 20 years,not a measure of health.

The average woman in the USA is a bit under 5;4" and weighs 171 (very top end of normal BMI). A woman a couple inches taller and 20 pounds heavier looks very average (adjusting the weight for height), although 5'6", 190 puts one in the very low end of obese range per BMI.

Few people would think a an average woman in the US is 171 lbs.
    And the women's clothing line are good at manipulating "sizes" to help women feel good about what they are purchasing. A size 12 I believe is what a 14 was a few years ago.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

And to expand on that, I wear 1940s/50s style vintage dresses. I'm in that average category (5'6", 171 lb)...modern sizing puts me in sizes 8/10 for women. My vintage dresses are 14/16.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options

This is happening with Men's clothes too. When I first got down to a healthy weight in high school I wore medium t-shirts and 32 x 34 jeans. I was relatively the same size ages 17-25 and got my suits in 38R. I started lifting at 26 and have improved my body composition quite a bit. My chest and shoulders are much broader, legs are more muscular, and waist measures about the same. I now wear smalls in short sleeve Ts but need mediums for sleeve length due to my delts. I got a new pair of UA golf pants at Christmas and my wife comments that they're noticably baggier than my other UA pants despite being the same 32x34. In jeans I'd prefer a 31x34 but those are nearly impossible to find and those numbers are no longer representative of a inches as I measure at 33" most of the time.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »

This is happening with Men's clothes too. When I first got down to a healthy weight in high school I wore medium t-shirts and 32 x 34 jeans. I was relatively the same size ages 17-25 and got my suits in 38R. I started lifting at 26 and have improved my body composition quite a bit. My chest and shoulders are much broader, legs are more muscular, and waist measures about the same. I now wear smalls in short sleeve Ts but need mediums for sleeve length due to my delts. I got a new pair of UA golf pants at Christmas and my wife comments that they're noticably baggier than my other UA pants despite being the same 32x34. In jeans I'd prefer a 31x34 but those are nearly impossible to find and those numbers are no longer representative of a inches as I measure at 33" most of the time.
    Yeah I hear you. I rarely wear any other clothing but gym clothing since my life and job just revolve around it. I still buy large in everything because it still fits well. I have one suit and it's a 42R, but I had to get the pants altered for the waist size because it was way too big.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png