Whole Roast Chicken Calories

Options
I whole roast a free-range chicken in the oven, just plain, no flavouring or seasonings. Once cooked, I take off skin and shred from the bone, so just left with mixed diced chicken meat. How many calories. They vary greatly - 150 cal - 347 cal per 200g. Can anyone help please!

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    there are several database entries for whole roast chicken

Tesco - Roast Whole Chicken

Calories 181 Sodium 400 mg
    Total Fat 8 g Potassium -- mg
    Saturated 2 g Total Carbs 0 g
    Polyunsaturated -- g Dietary Fiber 1 g
    Monounsaturated -- g Sugars 0 g
    Trans -- g Protein 26 g
    Cholesterol -- mg
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    The best entries are the ones from the USDA. They are the ones written like: chicken, broilers and fryers, breast, meat and skin, cooked, roasted. There are entries for skin on and off -- I'm not sure if it undercounts cals to cook it skin on and then remove the skin if you use a no skin entry, but I'd guess that it probably does so you maybe should put at least 25% of it to a with skin entry. The bigger issue is that of course there are separate entries for breast and thigh and leg, etc., since dark meat has more cals and fat and less protein per gram (although the differences aren't that huge) than breast. If you are not able to separate the dark and white, maybe guess at the percentage of one vs the other in the mix as a whole.

The differences (beyond bad entries) come from entries that are for cooked vs raw -- find one that says cooked and the cooking method -- for skin vs no skin (see above), and for dark vs breast.
  • TaurOxen
    TaurOxen Posts: 4 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I often buy Roast Chicken from the market, and I simply weigh the portion I'm eating of chicken meat (if you specify skin on or skin off, dark meat, white meat - you can be a bit more accurate). If you are eating specific parts (ie. a drumstick, or thigh) then you can search for those specifically, but I'd rather weigh it out. You can have a large chicken or a small chicken, with big thighs or big breasts... uhhh... you get my point.

Also, I tend to look for the entries that seem more official - ie. a USDA rating, etc.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I weigh before and after whenever the thng has bones, skin parts I don't eat. Also do before and after when I just bring the container out and don't take a portion in the kitchen. Like egg salad or sauces. Bottle weighed 233g on the way to the table 216 on the way back. 17g to log.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    If you are shredding the cooked meat, I would simply separate the dark meat (thigh, leg, wing) from the white (breast) and weigh them separately. You can find calorie counts for each as 'chicken meat, cooked, dark/white meat.' Or you can search 'skinless/boneless thigh meat (cooked)' and 'skinless chicken breast (cooked).'

Add the calories for both for a grand total and weigh the entire combined amount. Divide into per gram or per ounce for your final calorie count.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I would use the verified entry:

"Boneless Skinless Chicken Thigh Strips - Boneless Skinless Chicken Thigh Strips" (Tyson)

First, most of the boneless, skinless entries are pretty close, 35kcal/oz. Second, it's verified. Third, the title says it twice, so it must be right. :p

I think using the calories from thighs is a good idea for mixed chicken meat, since it has a slightly higher fat content than trimmed boneless breast, so you're covered.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Careful around the prepared frozen chicken. Check the ingredient label for additives which could conceivably add calories.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Tesco's whole roast chicken is also cooked with a sugary marinade, so it probably wouldn't match a plainly cooked chicken. However, an entry like that (or one where you can check nutritional info, somehow) will at least give you an idea of likely figures.

If you want something that's 'close', I can confirm that the Tesco whole roast chicken info does match what it says on the packaging, as I check it pretty much every time I buy it. But, there's no way of knowing how much fat was used in the roasting process and nor can you separate out the marinade cals.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    The best entries are the ones from the USDA. They are the ones written like: chicken, broilers and fryers, breast, meat and skin, cooked, roasted. There are entries for skin on and off -- I'm not sure if it undercounts cals to cook it skin on and then remove the skin if you use a no skin entry, but I'd guess that it probably does so you maybe should put at least 25% of it to a with skin entry. The bigger issue is that of course there are separate entries for breast and thigh and leg, etc., since dark meat has more cals and fat and less protein per gram (although the differences aren't that huge) than breast. If you are not able to separate the dark and white, maybe guess at the percentage of one vs the other in the mix as a whole.

The differences (beyond bad entries) come from entries that are for cooked vs raw -- find one that says cooked and the cooking method -- for skin vs no skin (see above), and for dark vs breast.

Yes, all entries for chicken that came from the USDA will specify raw or cooked.

If I can, I weigh and log dark and white separately, and if I can't do guess at the percentage, log like that, and don't worry about it.