Question on activity level

Options
Hello everyone, newbie here. I started my Myfitnesspal journey just over a month ago and I've already seen some progress. The problem is, when I first started logging I put my activity level at "sedentary" because that was what I was. I was always at home as I was unemployed and didn't really do much in a day but read and do very little housework.

About a week ago though, I got a temporary job as a housekeeper/manager and I rarely have any spare time now. I'm always doing something now, sweeping, mopping, doing dishes, looking after the kids, cooking 3 meals a day every day etc. Basically I'm constantly on my feet. Hell when I go to bed now I'm so tired I don't even wake till morning, which was not the case previously.

Anyway, my question is, would that count enough for me to change my activity level to "lightly active"? I feel like the work I do is definitely equal to that of a "teacher or salesperson" as MFP describes, what do you all think? Would really appreciate some feedback!

Replies

• ajlmfp22
    ajlmfp22 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I would say that you'd definitely be justified in moving up to lightly active IMO.
  • Darksister_
    Darksister_ Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    ajlmfp22 wrote: »
    I would say that you'd definitely be justified in moving up to lightly active IMO.

That's what I assumed as well, wanted to be sure though. Thank you!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    If you're on your feet all day, probably should be Active not Lightly Active, lightly active only accounts for around 5000 steps per day, I get that in my desk-bound office job.

When I worked in Hospitality I'd walk about 9-12 miles per day.

Bear in mind your activity level refers to your home/work life not exercise.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Anyway, my question is, would that count enough for me to change my activity level to "lightly active"? I feel like the work I do is definitely equal to that of a "teacher or salesperson" as MFP describes, what do you all think? Would really appreciate some feedback!

From what you describe it's sounding rather higher than the teacher example for activity settings.
    I'd suggest trialling Active for a month and see how it goes. Not just in weight loss terms but also hunger and energy levels.

If you get time to squeeze in purposeful exercise that is added on top whatever activity setting you decide on.