Best premade Bone Broth?

Whenever I'm on my mooncycle I crave bone marrow, but as the only quick easy way to get it is fried chicken - which doesn't exactly fit my dietary goals - I thought I'd buy some Swanson's Sipping Bone broth. I'm quite disappointed. Now I do have powdered bone broth, but it takes forever to go into solution and gets lumpy without proper mixing due to the collagen not being all that water soluble. So.... Does anyone have any awesome premade Bone broths I can order online?

(Yes, I will make some at home next time we have bones, but only place I know to get them local are beef knuckles at the Asian market, and it's the opposite direction for me or cook a whole chicken/turkey.)

Replies

• KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,541 Member
    @diatonic12 knows a LOT about bone broth... Tagging her.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Whenever I'm on my mooncycle I crave bone marrow, but as the only quick easy way to get it is fried chicken - which doesn't exactly fit my dietary goals - I thought I'd buy some Swanson's Sipping Bone broth. I'm quite disappointed. Now I do have powdered bone broth, but it takes forever to go into solution and gets lumpy without proper mixing due to the collagen not being all that water soluble. So.... Does anyone have any awesome premade Bone broths I can order online?

(Yes, I will make some at home next time we have bones, but only place I know to get them local are beef knuckles at the Asian market, and it's the opposite direction for me or cook a whole chicken/turkey.)

Curious -- what's the connection between fried chicken and broth?
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Brodo - I love em!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,895 Member
    Sorry, have been happy with my stock recipe and have been disappointed with store bought stock, so haven't bought any bone broth, which I believe is just stock made with more bones and/or simmered longer, yes?

I save bones in a zip lock bag in the freezer until I run out of stock, and then make a batch in my slow cooker by almost filling it loosely with bones and then covering with water and cooking for 8-12 hours depending on how hearty I want it. I freeze the leftovers in various sizes plastic food containers that I save for this purpose, often from Chinese take out - ex: 2.5 oz, 8 oz, and 16 oz containers.

We eat mostly chicken so I don't have a lot of beef bones. If a recipe calls for beef stock I might just use chicken stock, or add some beef paste, or buy bones. If my little Shaw's market sells marrow bones, I would think they would be fairly widely available. Try asking your butcher? Beef stock made from marrow bones is AMAZING!
  • nutritionistuk
    nutritionistuk Posts: 1 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Sorry, have been happy with my stock recipe and have been disappointed with store bought stock, so haven't bought any bone broth, which I believe is just stock made with more bones and/or simmered longer, yes?

I save bones in a zip lock bag in the freezer until I run out of stock, and then make a batch in my slow cooker by almost filling it loosely with bones and then covering with water and cooking for 8-12 hours depending on how hearty I want it. I freeze the leftovers in various sizes plastic food containers that I save for this purpose, often from Chinese take out - ex: 2.5 oz, 8 oz, and 16 oz containers.

We eat mostly chicken so I don't have a lot of beef bones. If a recipe calls for beef stock I might just use chicken stock, or add some beef paste, or buy bones. If my little Shaw's market sells marrow bones, I would think they would be fairly widely available. Try asking your butcher? Beef stock made from marrow bones is AMAZING!

Great point about the marrow! it makes such a difference. In the UK shop bought is hit and miss. Kettle and fire is pretty nice. The cleanest I could find with bone marrow is nordic (reindeer!) bone broth from biomed.
  • useyourthorns
    useyourthorns Posts: 30 Member

Long overdue for a response, I think I meant rotisserie chicken, really any cooked chicken with intact bones so bone-in fried would work too. Its not he meat, just the cooked bone portion you would want to make the broth.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member

Long overdue for a response, I think I meant rotisserie chicken, really any cooked chicken with intact bones so bone-in fried would work too. Its not he meat, just the cooked bone portion you would want to make the broth.

Ah. You might be able to find chicken necks at the grocery store (at least, I'm pretty sure I've seen them occasionally in my "neck" of the woods -- :smile: -- but it's more common here to find beef bones -- not clear to me from thread whether beef products are off the table for you).