Half an hour a day

Options
Question, is this enough or would you be doing more?

I’ve put together a routine of varying weight training exercises at 3 sets of 20 reps with 30s break in between each set:

Day 1 Triceps and shoulders
Day 2 back and abs
Day 3 biceps and chest

On each day, I also do 10 mins cardio on the cross trainer.

Total time spent is between 30 and 45mins and average heart rate is around 130bpm (I’m 39).

Have been doing it a month, not really changed diet, have seen a small weight loss and have doubled the amount I’m lifting (started low due to easing back after injury). Resting heart rate is 2bpm lower than last month.

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    cokefloat1 wrote: »

I’ve put together a routine of varying weight training exercises at 3 sets of 20 reps with 30s break in between each set:

Day 2 back and abs
    Day 3 biceps and chest

Total time spent is between 30 and 45mins and average heart rate is around 130bpm (I’m 39).

Have been doing it a month, not really changed diet, have seen a small weight loss and have doubled the amount I’m lifting (started low due to easing back after injury). Resting heart rate is 2bpm lower than last month.

Where is leg day?

• Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options

Day 2 back and abs
    Day 3 biceps and chest

So you're hitting each of those body parts once a week for 20 minutes?
  • cokefloat1
    cokefloat1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

Day 2 back and abs
    Day 3 biceps and chest

Where is leg day?

Unfortunately I don’t have the equipment at home to hit legs properly. Will start when the gym opens again but I’m getting in deadlifts on back and abs day which are ruining me at the moment!!!
  • cokefloat1
    cokefloat1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options

Day 2 back and abs
    Day 3 biceps and chest

So you're hitting each of those body parts once a week for 20 minutes?

Day 4 is rest day then start again so bit more than once a week
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Why 20 reps?
    Why are you monitoring your HR during strength exercise? (It's not really a useful or significant metric.)
    Why can't you do squats? (Goblet squats for example, seems odd you can deadlift but not squat.)

Overall it's not clear why you are training how you are training or what your current level is or what your goals are.

Q - "Is this enough?"
    Enough for what? Short and long term goals? Are you rehabbing from injury? A beginner? Previously well trained but just trying to keep ticking over until gyms reopen?

Q - "Would you be doing more?"
    Yes. But I'm pretty certain our goals are very different.