Lost a little now want to quit?

Options
I've lost about half of my weight loss goal, and for some reason my brain is yelling "you've done good so far, why not just be satisfied with OK?"

I am 5 foot 3 inches, I weight 145 when I started now I weigh 133. I originally wanted to get down to 120... but the rest of the weight is taking more time to come off then when I started.

I am on a weightloss program dictated by a nutritionist. I am also on an exercise program with a personal trainer for 3 times a week.

I have specific goals for each food groups but this about sums upmy diet:

800 calories + protein supplements for health

Dairy: 1 serving
Restricted Veggies: 1 serving
Free Veggies: AS many as I want.
Bread, starch, carbs: 0 servings
Protein: 9 servings
Fat: 1 serving

Should I stick with it or just continue to eat healthy with out such strict restrictions?

Replies

• JumpingDog
    JumpingDog Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Am I understanding this correctly that you are eating 800 calories a day? If I ate that, I would want to quit too.
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Quite frankly, I am shocked that a nutritionist would put a 21 year old on an 800 calorie diet. It is no wonder you want to quit. Try researching this website for other options like TDEE.
  • tstarrstamper
    tstarrstamper Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Haha, I am eating 800 calories, plus 2 protein supplements with about 12 g of protein each...
    So protein fills me up whenever I get hungry.
  • tstarrstamper
    Options
    It comes out to around 1000ish calories a day...with the protein supplements added in.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Your nutritionist put you on an 800 calorie diet + ~100 calories of protein when you were like 4lbs overweight? JEEZUS. Do you have some underlying medical condition that you haven't mentioned that's driving such a decision?

If you're otherwise healthy, you need to fire that nutritionist immediately, they're a hack who's interested in short term results for your hard earned dollars. The nutritionist is doing more damage than good, and it's going to be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to keep the weight off you've already lost.

The reason you're feeling that way is because of your low calorie diet. You need to eat more starting TODAY.
  • tstarrstamper
    Options
    No I'm healthy as a horse. I am also taking some vitamins, calcium, and Essential fatty acids to stay healthy.

How is she doing more damage than good? (just wondering)

I don't feel bad, unhealthy, tired or anything negative. In fact I feel better than I ever did when I was over weight. I just miss bread, lol.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    No I'm healthy as a horse. I am also taking some vitamins, calcium, and Essential fatty acids to stay healthy.

How is she doing more damage than good? (just wondering)

I don't feel bad, unhealthy, tired or anything negative. In fact I feel better than I ever did when I was over weight. I just miss bread, lol.

It's called Adaptive Thermogenesis, it's a slowing of the metabolism in response to low calorie dieting. Essentially, it makes you gain weight every time you eat a cupcake from now until you fix it. I'll post a link explaining it in a second.

Here you go:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1077746-starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss?hl=Adaptive+Thermogenesis

Everything you need to know about it.
  • tstarrstamper
    Options
    But exercise increases my metabolic rate right? and since working out I have actually increased my lean muscle mass, which from what I understand is one tf the main concerns about starvation mode... right?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,042 Member
    Options
    I'm with MoreBean13 on this.

1. Fire your "nutritionist" - do you know all they have to do is pass an online "test"? You don't need help to lose four pounds.

2. EAT A WHOLE LOT *&(%$*&^ MORE. Seriously. What is going on here? You're in Eating Disorder territory, woman!
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    But exercise increases my metabolic rate right? and since working out I have actually increased my lean muscle mass, which from what I understand is one tf the main concerns about starvation mode... right?

Unfortunately, there's no way you can increase your lean muscle mass on 800-1000 cals a day. It's just not possible to create muscle out of nothing.

Exercise does help your metabolism short term, but it won't help the problem you're creating with your BMR. Plus if you're exercising and burning additional calories on that low amount of calories, it makes the problem even worse. I would suspect that you've actually been losing lean muscle mass because with that high deficit, your body needs to get fuel from somewhere, and catabolizing muscle is pretty efficient.
  • tstarrstamper
    Options
    Sorry this is where I go...

http://www.calgaryweightlossclinic.com/

Her name is Dr. Burke. and she has a real Phd in nutrition.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I had a nutritionist like that. I lost 20 lbs in 4 months, if that... then gained it all back plus some because my metabolism was totally messed up.
  • lisammystery
    Options
    If anything sweetie, that calorie intake and you working out your body has no choice but to draw energy from muscle. And guess what your heart is? Yes, 800 calorie diet is not good. The working out with that little calorie intake is zapping you hard.
  • SDavidson71
    SDavidson71 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If you feel so great, then why do you want to quit?
  • Jes21sica
    Jes21sica Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Is this a nutritionist or a dietitian? I know most people don't understand the difference but a nutritionist is not a regulated term. Basically a chiropractor can take a 3 credit nutrition class and call themselves a nutritionist. I am a registered diet technician and am studying to be a dietitian. No dietitian I know would recommend that amount of calories. That is far to low for anyone. Make sure they are a registered dietitian, because this person does not seem to know what they are talking about.
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options

Hmmmm....I checked that web site. Let me guess, on top of the $300 consultation fee, I bet they sell those protein supplements, don't they? I don't like the sound of this place at all. Sounds like a money-making scheme to me.

You don't need a weight loss clinic to lose 25 pounds. And you definitely need to eat more. Jeez, have some bread!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

From the website -
    Dr. Peggy Burke has been with the Lefebre and Burke Weight Loss & Laser Centre for over 20 years. She has practiced family medicine for many years in Calgary and is also a member of the ASBP and CON.

Dr. Burke has a special interest in providing pre and post operative care for bariatric surgery patients. She is trained in saline fill adjustments for adjustable lap band bariatric surgery.
    - See more at: http://www.calgaryweightlossclinic.com/weight-loss-doctors/#sthash.S2xXXk1Y.dpuf

I'm sorry but....the 800 cals would be appropriate for someone whose had the surgery. I'm assuming you didn't have the lap band surgery.

Fire her and seek out a Registered Dietitian.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Am I understanding this correctly that you are eating 800 calories a day? If I ate that, I would want to quit too.

^^yep. Plus I would fire the nutritionist.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

No it doesn't and no it will not have on those calories.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Op do you notice a trend?? You are getting good sound advice from MFP members with weight loss tickers of 39 lbs, 42 lbs. 66 lbs. and now 312 lbs. Fire this nutritionist and for god sake it more food... Bean is spot on with everything she posted but this is your own journey and if you wanna trust the advice from a bariatric surgeon when you really don't need one then I am failing to see where your original question will make any difference then.... Best of Luck