Coffee drinkers...HELP!

I am a coffee drinker. Not tea. Not soda. Coffee! I need my shot of caffeine in the morning like I need air to breathe! However, I absolutely despise drinking my calories! Why drink them when I can EAT them!? I’d rather chew and savor and enjoy my calories rather than slurping them down.

But. I. Cannot. Do. Black. Coffee.

I need creaminess. I need some sweetness. I need the jolt to get me moving.

I’ve been trying for a months to find a solution. First I thought about the health benefits of tea and thought I’d give that a try. I tried tea, black. I tried tea with just milk. Tea with a little cream. Tea black with a Splenda or Truvia. I’ve tried different kinds and flavors of tea. No. No. No.

I’ve went back to my tried and true coffee, this time black. Ick! Coffee with milk only. Nope. Coffee with fat free creamer only. Eh. Coffee with fat free creamer and Splenda or Truvia. Ehh. Coffee with no sugar added flavored creamer. Ehh.

Now I’m back to my flavored coffeee with a good spoonful of sugar and enough cream to make it a dark caramel color. Delicious! Hits the spot! Makes my whole morning!!! BUT....it’s something like 150 empty calories!

Is there any solution or am I destined to learn to enjoy drinking hot, liquid dirt for the rest of my life?

Replies

• Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Once I started drinking black Americano or espresso .. I could tell the difference in various types of beans. Some varieties are just more bitter.

Some of the least bitter I’ve found are Hawaiian Kona beans. Also found the lighter roasts are less bitter. If making espresso - look for beans that say crema— it makes a nice froth on top after brewing.

☕️ typing as I caffeinate.☕️
  • WaterLily82
    WaterLily82 Posts: 165 Member
    I use my keurig and tend to like flavored coffees like French vanilla or hazelnut or mocha mint...yummy! Maybe I could try different types of coffee black (or with significantly less cream and sugar) until I find one that tastes better...
  • Nikitah25
    Nikitah25 Posts: 1 Member
    https://coffeeovercardio.com/
    Maybe check out this website! I have not tried the coffee creamers. I usually do my coffee with protein powder in the mornings with ice.
  • WaterLily82
    Wow! I appreciate all your input!! I think I’ll try out some different brands to find a coffee that tastes less bitter, try unsweetened nut creamers and lower my sugar little by little.

It’s true that if I want this to by my life I need it to work for my life otherwise I won’t want to stick with it. If I can’t find a great alternative I may just have to accept the fact that my coffee will cost me calories and just enjoy it, track it and move on!

Thanks for all the great tips & support!
  • WaterLily82
    I like the protein powder idea, too! That might be a good solution for me. I’ll have to give it a try!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I blend 1/4cup milk with 1tbs protein powder. If the protein is sweet, I don't add sweetener. My levels chocolate mocha protein is not sweet, so I add a tsp of sugar free caramel(or other flavor) skinny syrup and blend with my stick blender. I do this while brewing my favorite coffee in my brew n go. I heat my blended milky protein in the microwave 15 sec and then pour it into my mug of freshly brewed coffee. Tastes like a flavored latte, but only about 60 calories.
    I've also tried it with unsweetened soy milk, a tsp of ginger paste, and a tbs of quest cinnamon protein... tastes like gingerbread latte.
  • JustaNoob
    JustaNoob Posts: 147 Member
    Girl, I feel you in this struggle! I just posted about this last week and here is some of the responses I got: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/45781285#Comment_45781285

This week I am tapering down with Half n Half. I find that it is much creamer than anything low fat and therefore I use much less of it. I'm at 4 TBSP this week-- which is 80 per cup. But I'm hoping to slowly go down to black. OR I may just have one good coffee in the morning and no more after that. Right now, I am a 3-4 cup drinker!
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Seconding cashew milk. I use a whole cup of the stuff + stevia. That leaves me with a 25 calorie cup of coffee I enjoy.

Sometimes if I'm feeling fancy I do a packet of swiss miss reduced calorie (40 calories) with a half cup of cashew milk and skip the stevia. Which is a whole 55 calories.
  • jennacole12
    jennacole12 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Seconding cashew milk. I use a whole cup of the stuff + stevia. That leaves me with a 25 calorie cup of coffee I enjoy.

Sometimes if I'm feeling fancy I do a packet of swiss miss reduced calorie (40 calories) with a half cup of cashew milk and skip the stevia. Which is a whole 55 calories.

Freaking genius idea on the hot cocoa doing that now!
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Buying fresh whole beans, grinding them yourself as-needed, and brewing your coffee one cup at a time will drastically improve your coffee drinking experience. If you're buying pre-ground beans (especially a dark roast), and brewing them in a coffeemaker you haven't cleaned in a while, particularly a drip coffeemaker with a hot plate, that's a recipe for gross beanjuice. Coffee gets DISGUSTINGLY bitter if you keep it on the heat for too long - if you've ever gotten the last pour out of a pot of diner coffee that's been sitting on a hotplate for 20 minutes, you know.

If you have a local coffee shop that roasts their own, buy from them - it's good to support small businesses anyway, but especially right now. Otherwise, you may be able to order beans online from independent roasters, or perhaps consider a subscription service like Trade to try new beans. (NB: I have never used Trade, I cannot speak to the experience of using the service)

You can get a manual burr grinder for a nice little arm workout in the mornings, or pick up an electric one. Electric coffee grinders basically come in two styles, burr and blade. Burr is better, it results in a more uniform grind, but blade will still work, and the resulting coffee will still be a step up from buying pre-ground Folgers or whatever. My first coffee grinder was a Hamilton Beach blade grinder that was probably $15, $20 tops.

There are lots of inexpensive coffee making devices - I love my Aeropress, I think they retail for like $30? and the learning curve isn't too steep. I keep meaning to pick up a pour-over cone (as if I need more coffeemakers), but those seem simple enough to use and they can also be found cheaply.
  • Amanda_mermaid
    Amanda_mermaid Posts: 25 Member
    I blend my coffee with a little almond milk, honey and ice in the blender. I absolutely love it!
  • JustaNoob
    JustaNoob Posts: 147 Member
    Okay so I did some investigating...

lol actually, I went to look for cashew milk or Fairlife and my store had neither. It did have International Delight Zero Sugar and it is pretty dang good.

Many sugar-free creamers are also fat-free, which means I have to put more creamer to get the color I like. Then it is too sweet.

This one isn't low-fat so I don't have to use as much of it. 2TBSP for 40 calories-- just enough for me. The only downside is that there are just two options: Hazelnut and Caramel.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    I currently make my coffee with half Starbucks Hazelnut coffee and half Teeccino Chicory Herbal Coffee, Almond Amaretto, so it's not very bitter to start with.

https://smile.amazon.com/Teeccino-Caffeine-Free-Herbal-Mediterranean-Amaretto/dp/B00N9ULGOC/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=teeccino+almond&qid=1614279514&sr=8-4

I use just 1 teaspoon half & half and about 50 g of 1 % milk, so it is lighter colored for less calories. And 6 g of sugar. This is plenty sweet and creamy for me :)

For the longest time, I added protein powder, chia seeds, and coconut shreds and called it breakfast.

0c7l5qlejje2.png
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,409 Member
    I’ve never heard of 25 calorie creamy cashew milk. Am going out this afternoon to get some. Fingers crossed!!!!!