Soft diet help -- how to keep up the fat loss

Options
mytyglotz
mytyglotz Posts: 1,804 Member
Howdy, Pals!!
I pray you all are flourishing.

I am looking for advice on how to continue fat loss or at least prevent fat gain on a soft diet. I know calories are what matter most -- but I am equally concerned about satiety.

I had all four of my wisdom teeth extracted this week, and until I am sure the sockets are healed, I'm trying to be cautious about what I eat. I really don't like not chewing my calories. I've never been fond of pureed and liquid foods, but I know those are what I'll need to consume for now. Especially considering that pureed foods are less volumized and easier to consume compared to fresh whole foods, I just want to be sure I'm not consuming surplus calories - especially since my activity level has decreased dramatically as well.

I appreciate (to an extreme) any advice and personal experiences you have to offer.

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    I answered on your thread in General :)
  • AmunahSki
    AmunahSki Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I had some major dental surgery back in 2016 (implants for 6 front teeth, one lower molar*), and I think I ate a lot of soups, scrambled eggs (with soggy toast, leaving any hard crusts!), and instead of biting or chewing you kind of develop a technique of squishing food into the roof of your mouth... I don’t think it took very long at all for the sockets to heal - less than a week, for sure. I was fearful of eating - and looking forward to losing weight on a reduced diet! - but it didn’t affect what I ate for long (I wore a ‘temporary’ denture over the upper extractions from the get go, but not on the missing molar site).

Follow the advice your dentist gave you, watch for early signs of infection or ‘dry socket’, but I bet you’re back on the chewier stuff before you know it. Weirdly, lettuce was the HARDEST thing to eat with my denture... I didn’t get to enjoy that again until the implants were fitted!

(*£13,000, 1 year, and all totally worth it! The best moment was taking that first bite of an apple ‘normally’ with my new front teeth, something I hadn’t been able to do for about 5 years!)
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,598 Member
    Options
    AmunahSki wrote: »
    I had some major dental surgery back in 2016 (implants for 6 front teeth, one lower molar*), and I think I ate a lot of soups, scrambled eggs (with soggy toast, leaving any hard crusts!), and instead of biting or chewing you kind of develop a technique of squishing food into the roof of your mouth... I don’t think it took very long at all for the sockets to heal - less than a week, for sure. I was fearful of eating - and looking forward to losing weight on a reduced diet! - but it didn’t affect what I ate for long (I wore a ‘temporary’ denture over the upper extractions from the get go, but not on the missing molar site).

Follow the advice your dentist gave you, watch for early signs of infection or ‘dry socket’, but I bet you’re back on the chewier stuff before you know it. Weirdly, lettuce was the HARDEST thing to eat with my denture... I didn’t get to enjoy that again until the implants were fitted!

(*£13,000, 1 year, and all totally worth it! The best moment was taking that first bite of an apple ‘normally’ with my new front teeth, something I hadn’t been able to do for about 5 years!)

+1

I've had a lot of oral surgery over the past couple years and you know how you're not supposed to use a straw for a month? I went from making it two weeks to "you KNOW that's not gonna happen" when the assistant went over their dos and don'ts sheet with me for the hundredth time.

My soft foods diet didn't even last a day because I quickly discovered holding a nilla wafer or whatever in your mouth softens it up. Sure it's mushy but you get the flavor either way.

But, yeah, foods with real nutrients? Cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, cheesecake (hey, it's on the 99 best soft foods diet lists!), cooked veggies, applesauce, untoasted bread (I actually got scolded for saying I had toast. It was really bread with butter spray and a cinnamon sugar blend but cinnamon toast was easier to write down)...

The salt water rinse they probably told you to do should take care of any lasting food particles.