Cheating on my diet helps me move past plateau don't know why

Options
Anybody else here have the experience of struggling to lose weight for weeks, then decide to have a few large meals for 2 or 3 days in a row that puts you over calories and then find that you begin to start losing weight again?

On the scale I was following approx 1500 calories for 3 weeks. Then for 2 days I had about 2400 calories each day and then the next day I was 2 lbs lighter and don't know why.

It's counter intuitive to me.

Right now my hypothesis is that it's just my metabolism went really low, eating a bunch boosted it which then helped me start burning calories again but that's just a guess.

Is this a common experience for others? Curious to know how this works so I can manage boosting and lowering calories effectively.

Replies

• Bluetail6
    Bluetail6 Posts: 2,908 Member
    Options
    I haven't hit a plateau. However, I have one higher calorie day during the week. This is before taking into consideration any exercise calories. For example... My higher calorie day is Thursday. Monday and Friday, I eat the same number of calories each day. Tuesday and Saturday I eat the same number of calories those days; however they are different than the other days. And, finally, Sunday and Wednesday, I eat the same number of calories those days, but they are different than the rest of the week.

It seems to be working just fine. If I have something coming up, I can change things up. Perhaps this is somewhat of a variation of what is working for you. Also, I'm thinking that overall you are not going over, at least by to much, your weekly calorie goal.

Interesting, nevertheless.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    Anybody else here have the experience of struggling to lose weight for weeks, then decide to have a few large meals for 2 or 3 days in a row that puts you over calories and then find that you begin to start losing weight again?

On the scale I was following approx 1500 calories for 3 weeks. Then for 2 days I had about 2400 calories each day and then the next day I was 2 lbs lighter and don't know why.

Right now my hypothesis is that it's just my metabolism went really low, eating a bunch boosted it which then helped me start burning calories again but that's just a guess.

Is this a common experience for others? Curious to know how this works so I can manage boosting and lowering calories effectively.
    What's your current height and weight?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • sirlanceoflompoc
    sirlanceoflompoc Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

My height: 5ft 10in
    Weight: 188
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    what most people call a plateau is not a plateau at all. just normal weight fluctuations and remember, weight loss is not linear.

i wont say that many (including myself) haven't had a day or a couple of days of eating over, then showing a loss, because it happens, but really i think the reason why is just because the weight loss that was already there, finally decided to show on the scale. I know with me, as an old(er) woman, I tend to only show a loss on the scale 2 weeks of the month. But when I look month over month, its anywhere from 4-8 pounds per month. its just masked by water weight (in my case) mostly due to hormones.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    No it's not your metabolism crashing in just three weeks or recovering in a couple of days.

But yes if you have a really large deficit (which 1500 is for you) then you will start to down regulate your behaviours and movements plus get water retention from a stress response to a harsh diet. Weight changes out of proportion to calorie balance are often water related one way or another.

You might find if you didn't have such an aggressive deficit you wouldn't have the issue to need to manage.
  • FitAgainBy55
    FitAgainBy55 Posts: 179 Member
    Options

1500 calories for a male your size is likely eating below your BMR. Like others have said, you are probably causing your body some undue stress. Doing this long term can cause some other more troubling side effects.

The general guideline for rate of weight loss is .5% - 1% of your body weight per week. I'm 54, 5'5" and 173 lbs. If I were only eating 1500 calories per day that would be a 1250 calorie deficit for me at my activity level. I would be losing 2.8 lbs per week which would be over 50% higher than the upper range considered healthy.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Assuming you're under 30, so your BMR is over 1800. That means if you just sat on the couch for 24 hours and did nothing, you'd burn at least 1800 calories. Add in just regular movement and any exercise and you could easily be up to 2500 calorie or more for a TDEE. So you're likely eating at a 1000 calorie deficit, which isn't crazy but your body knows it. So to comp, it slows down your metabolic rate (which is normal in any calorie deficit but differs depending on the deficit itself and genetics). Maybe at least eat up to your BMR and see how weight loss goes. Betting you still lose.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • sirlanceoflompoc
    sirlanceoflompoc Posts: 18 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Assuming you're under 30, so your BMR is over 1800. That means if you just sat on the couch for 24 hours and did nothing, you'd burn at least 1800 calories. Add in just regular movement and any exercise and you could easily be up to 2500 calorie or more for a TDEE. So you're likely eating at a 1000 calorie deficit, which isn't crazy but your body knows it. So to comp, it slows down your metabolic rate (which is normal in any calorie deficit but differs depending on the deficit itself and genetics). Maybe at least eat up to your BMR and see how weight loss goes. Betting you still lose.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Thanks for the feedback, yeah your right. My BMR according to an online calculator is 1824.

I was under the impression that a larger deficit would lead to faster loss though it seems to really not be the case right now.

It seems like the general feedback I am getting from everyone here is that I am putting myself at too much of a deficit.

I'll bump it up to 1800 for a few weeks and see how it goes.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,828 Member
    Options
    I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. I was at 1470 for months and bumping along, but increased at insistence of dietician and trainer. Weight loss rate remained steady.

The body is a wierd and wonderful thing.

Celebrate it, and feed it.
  • Mazintrov13
    Mazintrov13 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I know for me when I have higher calorie days, especially a few in a row, I have way more energy and thus start moving more. I also notice if I’m eating too low or have been in a deficit for too long my energy is drained and I’m moving much slower so it could be that you are increasing your calories out
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Thanks for the feedback, yeah your right. My BMR according to an online calculator is 1824.

I was under the impression that a larger deficit would lead to faster loss though it seems to really not be the case right now.

It seems like the general feedback I am getting from everyone here is that I am putting myself at too much of a deficit.

I'll bump it up to 1800 for a few weeks and see how it goes.

Also, are you exercising? Are you accounting for that by eating some estimate of your exercise calories back? Crashing your calories to the lowest (1500) for a sedentary male and then exercising on top of that and not accounting for that activity is going to be a major stress on the body.