San Mateo Peak #8/18

Options
This was quite the hidden gem of a trail. Not the hardest or highest peak it was a beautiful trail that traverses the San Mateo Wilderness through a wooded area that is just spectacular. San Mateo Peak (elevation 3,591) is the unofficial name of the highest point in the Santa Ana Mountains south of the Ortega Highway. Despite the panoramic views from the top and peak’s proximity to the heavily traveled Ortega Highway, the mountain remains somewhat off the radar of So Cal hikers, not being mentioned in any major guides (major bonus if you want some peace and quiet).

14.41 miles out/back. Someone put various toy lizards and dinosaurs along the route which was funny to see. The peak was reached after crossing several false peaks then a mild scramble where you get a 360 degree view with a panorama of Lake Elsinore to Mt Baldy , San Gorgonio etc. I hiked over 13 miles the day before so I was feeling it the last 1.25 miles to the summit. Just building up my stamina/endurance. Here are my photos.
6uf9f3ihfy4x.jpeg
0m4thaqehd4l.jpeg

This marked the turn to the peak

57l4ljp2ekv4.jpeg
11dz50ahdhkj.jpeg

Last dino marker then .75 to summit

w3lsejrs6u80.jpeg
zu93dq26argc.jpeg
f2w3okbm6f0l.jpeg
wb4d0iztqjfe.jpeg

Not sure what’s up next. Still too much snow on some of the bigger mountains. I put in for a permit to Whitney in October along with some local hiking friends so we’ll see what happens. Still hoping to get to Base Camp at K 2 this year but not getting too excited yet due to travel restrictions.

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    I was born in San Mateo, CA. So was Merve Griffin and Bing Crosby (and his family) lived in Hillsborough (not far from in mile but leagues away in social status) from San Mateo in NorCal too.

But, you're not talking about THAT San Mateo. Actually have driven by in that area many times before including visits to San Juan Capistrano, San Clemente and Lake Elsinore.

Looks like a nice hiking area (for SoCal). Thanks for the pics! Just reminds be that I need to get out on the trails again.