Shepard's Pie with Foe Whipped Potatoes and Cheese (Low Carb)

Options
Poobah1972
Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
edited February 2021 in Recipes
I thought, I'd knock out some recipes as I prepare them. First Up.

Shepard's Pie with Foe Whipped Potatoes and Cheese

1iihlpx8jf4x.jpg
The finished product, just fits in a 2 quart baking dish. I normally make double this, but I don't have any guests coming over tonight, so this is the regular family size recipe.

Ingredients List

The Meat Gravy

14.3 oz - Drained and rinsed Lean Ground Beef (this started off at ~22 ounces raw)
6.7 oz - Yellow Onion Raw
8.5 oz - Mushrooms White Raw
24 g - Garlic Raw
2 cubes - Knorr Beef Bouillon Cubes
1.5 tbsp - Avacado Oil (use preference)
1/2 Cup - Beef Gravy Bisto
2 cups Water
Salt and Pepper

Foe Whipped Potatoes

1 Medium head of Cauliflower - 22.6 oz in this case.
1 tbsp Butter (15 g)
50 g Sour Cream 14%
Salt and Pepper

The Topping

9 oz PC Marble Cheddar Cheese (or whatever you prefer)

18o5jtnzdnxz.jpg
Note the cauliflower is already in the Pot and getting it's boil on.

The How to make the Meat Gravy

I typically use non-stick pans, so it's generally recommend not to exceed medium when frying anything... So get your largest frying pan and let it heat up.
  • First thing, add the Raw Ground beef to the pan and cook it till it looks done..
  • Then dump the entire contents of the pan into a fairly fine grain colander or strainer in the sink. And rinse with water to remove any extra fat. Feel free to push it down with a big spoon or something to get the water out, then just put it aside for now.
  • With the empty pan back on the heat, add your Oil, followed by the onions and about 1/3 of the garlic. And sauté the onions till they are partly translucent.
  • Add Mushrooms to pan and continue sautéing till both the onions are nice, and the mushrooms are cooked both side.
  • Now add the cooked ground beef back to the pan, along with all the garlic and a liberal dose of salt and pepper.

vourzrb5wc0j.jpg
  • Now start stirring that up, and let it cook for a few minutes as the delicious smell begins to permeate the house, and house dwellers start to make their way to the kitchen wondering what's cooking.
  • Since I drained the all the fat from the ground beef, I highly suggest you crumble 1 if not 2 Beef Bullion cubes over the pan at this point. This will bring back that Beefy goodness taste you flushed down the drain.
  • Then add 1 1/2 Cups of water to the pan.
  • While we wait for the water to boil, you add the remaining 1/2 cup of COLD water to your Beef Bouillon Powder (I usually do this in a glass). Then Mix it vigorously in with fork.
  • Once your pan is boiling slightly go ahead and dump the Gravy maker into the pan and keep stirring it as it thickens.
  • Once it get's thick go ahead and turn down the Pan to Low or very low.
  • Your meat gravy is done!

FYI, this is meat gravy is a great base to many dishes...

ffn0hbhz2qaw.jpg

How to make the Foe Whipped Potatoes

You don't really want to boil the cauliflower more then 15-20 minutes. But you also want to start turning it into Foe Whipped potatoes immediately after its done boiling. So tweak the timing of events with that in mind. The meat gravy is done and can stay on low heat, so you have time to play with.
  • Grab the pot with the lid on, and move to the sink... Put the Lid on a little off kilter and carefully drain all the water out, while retaining all that heat.
  • Now remove the lid and allow a large cloud of steam to rise. Then go ahead and toss in the butter and the sour cream.
  • Use your wand to basically puree the contents of the pot together, and part way through add another liberal dose of salt and pepper (salt really does something wonderful to the Cauliflower).
  • Continue using your hand wand, until you have a Smooth Whipped Potatoes Consistency.
  • And the hard work is done.

2i8p920tgi5a.jpg

Time to layer it in the pan.

If you haven't already, pre-heat your oven to 350 (bottomish-middle rack)

First is the meat gravy...

ip6dv2meslzu.jpg

Then the Foe Potatoes

Note: Don't dump this all on top or it will displace the gravy a bit, I just spoon it on with a large spoon or serving spoon, and slowly cover the whole dish, then smooth it out with the bottom of the spoon.

mqco0b1qz5u6.jpg

And last but not least, the Tasty cheese which will add back the needed fat content.

5wd688gmgvmn.jpg

Now slide that baby into the oven for about 30 minutes or until cheese is nice and melty and starting to show signs of brown spots.

Now the only challenge is allowing it to cool enough as to not burn your mouth. *seriously it's hot, and Is a challenge* lol

The Macro's

I'll admit I sort of screwed my dish up last night, as I normally make a double batch in a larger dish... Yet I used the same amount of Butter and Sour cream I would of used on a double batch on my single batch out of habit. So my poor foe potatoes were a little on the runny side, and I could also taste the sour cream in them. But lucky for us the final dish was still amazing. And Lucky for you the recipe and it's measurements and macro's are all correct.

Full Recipe Macro Break Down (8 servings total)

Calories 2302
Total Fat 71g
Total Carbs 70g
Fiber 15g
Net Carbs 55g
Protein 156g

Per Serving

Calories 288
Total Fat 8.85g
Total Carb 8.75g
Fiber 1.875
Net Carbs 6.88g
Protein 19.5g

Typically this means My Brother and Adult son eats 2 servings each, while me and my fiance enjoy 1 serving each, and then pack the remaining 2 servings for lunch for another day.

Cheers!

Replies

• manheim1247
    manheim1247 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Nice!! Well done...sounds delicious...low cal..low fat...low carb...nutrioious...going to try it tonight!! 👍
  • Poobah1972
    Options
    Enjoy Sir! :)
  • 1chesc
    1chesc Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I really like the idea of your faux mash. It could be use in so many ways. I shall definitely be trying that! Thanks for sharing 👍 😊
  • Poobah1972
    Options
    1chesc wrote: »
    I really like the idea of your faux mash. It could be use in so many ways. I shall definitely be trying that! Thanks for sharing 👍 😊

It sure can, any where you would use whipped or mashed potatoes is fair game. and Your welcome!

FYI, you can also use a tablespoon or so of mayo, either light or regular instead of sour cream. Either works.
  • spruitt417
    spruitt417 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Adding this to my recipes. Thanks for sharing!
  • Poobah1972
    Options
    :)