Running Problems

Options
2»

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    Working up slowly is key. Walking a full mile before breaking into a run would be a good idea. Alternating walk/run intervals is great. C25K is a method where you work up through an increasing series of interval workouts to get to the full run. (I used the ZenLabs app several years ago and I'm still at it. It really took me nearly a year to be able to run a 5k comfortably. Now I can run up to 10k or more.)

But: in terms of fitness, you never need to get to a sustained running pace. Fast walking or run/walk intervals are fine. Check out the book Run-Walk-Run.
  • barefootbridgey
    barefootbridgey Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    i have always found running to be a much bigger head game than other forms of exercise. I lost 50 lbs in my early thirties and took up running. I trained and ran a half marathan, 2 10.5 mile Tough Mudders and was running about 5 day a week, 4-13 miles each run. I had never run before, I had never really even exercised before, and what I learned from running is that (for me) after I run the first 2 miles/20 minutes (depending on the day) I feel a millino times better and could run forever...,butt hat first chunk was ALWAYS miserable - and i don't mean that I just hated it, it lit literally felt like my legs and lungs were going to give out. I could easily do an hour+ of a high intensity fitness class and be fine, but that first chunk of running was awful. And anytime I run on a treadmill it's awful.

I went through some life garbage, got divorced, had a baby, etc etc and gained back all of the weight I had lost and hadn't run in years and started back up - same thing. For me, i HAVE to keep in mind that after i make it past the first bit where I feel like I'm gong to die, it wil be better. I have to have the right music. I have to run on an empty stomach. I have to wear the right socks and pants, etc etc. I'm not nearly as rigid about other forms of exercise, but running is it's own beast and eveyrthing has to be just right. So. Check you head, because it might not be as hard as you fee like it is.

But also I second the walk/jog suggestions.
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Try to shoot for time moving as a goal for now, rather than a distance. As a goal-walk/run or run slooow- enough to keep moving for half hour. Maybe run for 30 seconds and walk for a minute or two or something like that- or jog slowly for a little longer. It will build quickly.
    At about 22 stone I couldn’t run a full 400 meters without walking. At 14.5 stone I run 10k(very slowly) routinely. At about a fifty lb (3.5 stone) weight loss, a coach had me hold two dumbells equaling that weight and walk/run to my car (about 200 m) It was HARD! But it made me realize how carrying that weight affected everything I did.