Ways We Sabotage Our Success

Lets talk about how we sabotage our success, I have identified 10 on my journey. I wrote about them in my blog and your welcome to read the details at the link but I will just list them here for discussion purposes.
1 - Good All day - but eat bad things at the end of the day
2 - Good all week but cheat on the weekends
3- Unable to delay food gratification
4- Not feeling Worthy of losing weight
5- Old habits of eating can't break
6- Fear of success
7- Not watching liquid calories
8-Snacking inappropriately
9-Skipping meals
10-not drinking enough water
How have these or others effected your ability to reach your goal or maintain your goal weight.

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/mpkpbk2015/view?id=ways-we-self-sabotage-our-success-989030

Replies

• mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    Over-restriction and trying to change my entire diet was my biggest self-sabotage. I decided to toss everything I liked that was 'bad' and eat a bunch of 'good' food I didn't much like, instead.

Yeah, that didn't work.

At all.

Oh, and forcing myself to eat breakfast. If I eat breakfast I eat the same thing but I'm not hungry in the morning and solid food usually makes me feel vaguely ill. WHY was I wasting calories on it?

Yea I am not a breakfast eater either , so I drink a protein shake so I have a meal without eating a meal but getting my protein. And trying to change everything at once is a big one for a lot of people, me to but it wasn't in my top ten. I probably had enough to write a book. thanks for sharing. Hugs.
  • mpkpbk2015
    Jacq_qui wrote: »
    Not getting enough sleep.
    Not managing stress levels.
    Still thinking of food as a way to manage emotions.

Two of those have been easier to fix than the other!

Two out of three I say is a win in my book - congrats to you. I wish you much success with the one your still working on. Take care.
  • mpkpbk2015
    Arralethe wrote: »
    Working really hard and losing a good chunk of weight, but instead of maintaining when the *kitten* hits the fan, throwing my hard work and progress away, eating poorly and gaining it all back with interest!

*sighs heavily*

We are all on a journey my friend, so hang in there and do what you can when you can. and just keep moving forward. Take care and be kind to yourself.
  • tindavione
    tindavione Posts: 6 Member
    Self sabotage...I am new on here but not new to this subject! How about adding "using food as a emotion regulator" ..anger , fear frustration, they all look better after a coke and chocolate bar "fix" ( that doesn't end up fixing anything in the long run I know !) ..or how about "too tired to cook " so eat out ( or the newest one was Hello Fresh..thought it would help..nope! Anyone got suggestions for simple meal planning strategies..?? I am soooo done with with roller coaster ride!
  • mpkpbk2015
    Sand_TIger wrote: »
    Oh this is an amazing topic. I have a few to add...

Not taking note of our issues in the past but still expecting them to just go away
    Loosening up on logging
    Getting in a "good, bad" mindset in the first place
    Rewarding ourselves with food
    When we hit a roadbump, quitting instead of starting again
    Lowing weight for unhealthy reasons
    Shorting ourselves on sleep
    Not having a plan
    Not setting new habits to replace the unhealthy ones

Nice thread! :)

Wow Sand Tiger you are awesome, what insight thanks for sharing. Really appreciate the input. We are all on the journey together and the more we learn the easier we can make the journey for each other. Knowledge is power and power can move mountains. Have a great week my friend.
  • Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,072 Member
    mpkpbk2015 wrote: »

Wow Sand Tiger you are awesome, what insight thanks for sharing. Really appreciate the input. We are all on the journey together and the more we learn the easier we can make the journey for each other. Knowledge is power and power can move mountains. Have a great week my friend.

Thank you! :) I started this journey with a lot of self reflection and due to the wisdom of lots of fellow MFPers, have learned a lot. Always happy to share. Have an amazing week too!
  • walk4today
    walk4today Posts: 1,195 Member
    Celebrating a weight loss with overeating.
    Setting unrealistic deadlines for losing a certain number of pounds (eg. 50 lbs by May 1st)
    Not recognizing that your body loses weight at a different pace than those of other people.
  • mpkpbk2015
    walk4today wrote: »
    Celebrating a weight loss with overeating.
    Setting unrealistic deadlines for losing a certain number of pounds (eg. 50 lbs by May 1st)
    Not recognizing that your body loses weight at a different pace than those of other people.

Your number one is a big one, it always struck me as ironic when I looked back at myself - I had a big lost and what do I do I go out and eat to celebrate and then gain some of it back. So I totally relate. Have a great week and thanks for sharing.
  • mpkpbk2015
    Sand_TIger wrote: »
    mpkpbk2015 wrote: »

Thank you! :) I started this journey with a lot of self reflection and due to the wisdom of lots of fellow MFPers, have learned a lot. Always happy to share. Have an amazing week too!

You are so welcome. take care.💖💖💖
  • mpkpbk2015
    tindavione wrote: »
    Self sabotage...I am new on here but not new to this subject! How about adding "using food as a emotion regulator" ..anger , fear frustration, they all look better after a coke and chocolate bar "fix" ( that doesn't end up fixing anything in the long run I know !) ..or how about "too tired to cook " so eat out ( or the newest one was Hello Fresh..thought it would help..nope! Anyone got suggestions for simple meal planning strategies..?? I am soooo done with with roller coaster ride!

You read my mind I plan my blogs out by the week and that's on the agenda for this week. I can't off the top of my head remember which day I am writing about it. But it's coming. Thanks for sharing and have a great week.
  • TendaiMa
    TendaiMa Posts: 72 Member
    Awesome thread, thanks for sharing...great insights and I just needed to be reminded. We all know our "personal sabotage" tactics and we just need to remind ourselves about why we started the journey!
  • CameronWhittaker
    CameronWhittaker Posts: 26 Member
    I have done 5 months of really clean eating and regular exercise and my results have been amazing (50kg loss), but since hitting the 5-month park I have been struggling.

Not fully blowing up calorie-wise and I have been logging fairly accurately. But just giving into temptation, I set myself hard rules like No chocolate, No lollies, No chippies, and No takeaways. I have been bending these rules a lot, little bits of lollies, chocolate, and chippies. and I have had takeaways a few times.

It's stupid because the small amount of chocolate I have eaten isn't even an issue calorie-wise.. but breaking my rules feels like a huge defeat after going 5 months with none.

Even today I kept under my calories, and most of my food was fine. But I had a bacon & egg McMuffin, I shouldn't have had that and it feels like a defeat even though iv kept it under my goal.

I haven't fully broken and bought a block of chocolate or a bag of chips but I feel like that slide is coming.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!