Hii!:)<3 I could use some help, new to lifting and could use some calorie tips aswell<33

Options
Hiiiii there!!:) I´m here because I'm hoping I could get some tips maybe from some of you!!:D I have a bad history with food, and have for a little over a year been eating -+1200 calories, my maintaince calories is 1500 calories, so I have lost weight! But I have a feeling I have been losing muscle aswell, because I have often before eaten under 1000 calories while losing weight, and the calories I have eaten, haven't necessarily been good I feel ashamed to say! So when I got to low weight, I was skinny fat.

But I have finally figured out that I want to live a healthier life style, eat healthier and also workout more! I don´t have access to gym, but I have some weights at home that I find heavy and I have lifted for 45 minutes, 4 times this week! And, I find it of course heavy but I like it a lot!!:)) I feel motivated to get better at working out and eating healthier!

But my question is! Should I keep eating 1200 calories while lifting? I am also making sure I get enough protein! And because I don´t have access to gym, I have been using what I have home, so I use lighter weights with higher reps. Can I build muscles doing this 4 times a week? My aim is fat loss! :)

I have been at a lighter weight than I am now, but have mostly been skinny fat even at lower weight, so I want to figure out how to lose the fat!

Thank you all, sooooo very much! it means so much, some advice could really help the start of this journey:))<3 fyi I'm also very short, I am 156 cm tall and my weight is now around 57 kg, I have a bad metabolism too ( I have gained some weight lately opsss hahaha) love from Celina! :))

Have a great day<3333!!:DD

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    Hi! The way MFP is designed that when you exercise, you should log that and eat those calories back.

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/exercise/diary/

The exercise diary is a little confusing - the Strength Training section is just for notes. To get credit for your weight lifting, log it in the Cardiovascular section. Ex: "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)"

Once I learned how hard it really is for women to get "bulky" I stopped doing high reps light weights and switched to lower reps and higher weights. What weights and reps are you currently doing? You may wish to get some heavier weights.
  • callumrayb
    callumrayb Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    What are the weights and what techniques are you using? Just curious and I'm also a beginner!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you are happy at your current weight but just want to lose some fat / gain some muscle then eat at your maintenance level. It doesn't sound like you were happy with your body when you were lighter....

Yes you can build muscle with low weights / high reps. It's perhaps less efficient style of training than low to medium reps and higher weights but as long as your are stressing your muscles beyond their current capabilities it will work. Heavy is really a relative term - heavy for you is heavy enough.

"Some weights" means what? Your equipment availability will affect your choice of programs/lifts. Don't forget bodyweight exercises too, they can be very effective.
  • bellacelina2
    bellacelina2 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    @kshama2001 Thank you soooo much for your words they were very helpful!!!:D I had noticed that you couldn't calculate the strength training calories, I didn't know you could type strength training on the cardio section! That was super helpful aswell, thank you soooo much!!:) your cat is super cute btw aaaaa! And hahahah xD I am kind of ashamed to say, but I have been doing for instance for arms, I am following a program but for instance I use my 2 pair of 4 kg dumbbells and do like 15 reps, 3 times for each of the different arm workouts and legs workouts! But I am planning on buying 5 kg or 6 kg dumbbells now for an upgrade! I have also been using my backpack and filled it up and used it for some workouts. I am pretty weak so 4 kg was heavy at first for me xD I'm a bit unsure if I should upgrade 1 or 2 kg up from my 4kg dumbbells! I hope you have a great day!!!:D thank you for replyyyy<3

• bellacelina2
    bellacelina2 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    @sijomial thank you sooooo much for reply, I am very grateful!!:) I dont have a lot of experience, so these advice you guys give is super helpful!!!:)) yeah when I was lighter, there wasn't too much of a difference from my body now I feel, 7 kg heavier, I stored a lot of fat, so I wasn't too happy even at lighter weight haha. And yeah, my goal is fat loss:))<3

I have been using my dumbbells and a backpack that I have filled up! My muscles have been getting very sore from the lifting, so I hope its a good sign hahaha. But I have been using 2 pairs of 4 kg dumbbells, I am now thinking of buying 5 or 6 kg dumbbells:) I know it must sound very low in weight! Thank you soooo much for advice!! and I have also taken up my calories, so my weight loss is slower, my calories are now 1350!!! :smiley: I hope you have a greeeeat day! Thank you so much for helping outtt!!!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    @kshama2001 Thank you soooo much for your words they were very helpful!!!:D I had noticed that you couldn't calculate the strength training calories, I didn't know you could type strength training on the cardio section! That was super helpful aswell, thank you soooo much!!:) your cat is super cute btw aaaaa! And hahahah xD I am kind of ashamed to say, but I have been doing for instance for arms, I am following a program but for instance I use my 2 pair of 4 kg dumbbells and do like 15 reps, 3 times for each of the different arm workouts and legs workouts! But I am planning on buying 5 kg or 6 kg dumbbells now for an upgrade! I have also been using my backpack and filled it up and used it for some workouts. I am pretty weak so 4 kg was heavy at first for me xD I'm a bit unsure if I should upgrade 1 or 2 kg up from my 4kg dumbbells! I hope you have a great day!!!:D thank you for replyyyy<3

Thanks!

I got up 2.5 pounds at a time until I get to 15 pounds but you do what feels right to you :)

You can always reduce reps with higher weights, ex:
    • 15 reps 4 kg
    • 10 reps 5 kg
    • 5 reps 6 kg

That what I prefer to do but do whatever works for you.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,745 Member
    Options
    Note that if you're sore (muscles are hurting) you will retain water and weight more. This weight is NOT fat.

Please note that you're normal weight (BMI 23.4) so eating as low as 1200 is probably not doing you any favours if you want to prioritize strength
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    A set of adjustable dumbbells is a good option for home use so that they don't take over your whole house.
    They also make small steps up in weight easier as they often have micro plates.