Hii!:)<3 I could use some help, new to lifting and could use some tips^^

Options
Hiiiii there!!:) I´m here because I'm hoping I could get some tips maybe from ya´ll!!:D I have a bad history with food, and have for a little over a year been eating -+1200 calories, my maintaince calories is 1500 calories, so I have lost weight! But I have a feeling I have been losing muscle aswell, because I have often before eaten under 1000 calories while losing weight, and the calories I have eaten, haven't necessarily been good I feel ashamed to say! So when I got to low weight, I was skinny fat.

But I have finally figured out that I want to live a healthier life style, eat healthier and also workout more! I don´t have access to gym, but I have some weights at home that I find heavy and I have lifted for 45 minutes, 4 times this week! And, I find it of course heavy but I like it a lot!!:)) I feel motivated to get better at working out and eating healthier!

But my question is! Should I keep eating 1200 calories while lifting or increase calories a bit? I am also making sure I get enough protein! And because I don´t have access to gym, I have been using what I have home, so I use lighter weights with higher reps. Can I build muscles doing this 4 times a week? My aim is fat loss! :)

I have been at a lighter weight than I am now, but have mostly been skinny fat even at lower weight, so I want to figure out how to lose the fat!

Thank you all, sooooo very much! it means so much, some advice could really help the start of this journey:))<3 fyi I'm also very short, I am 156 cm tall and my weight is now around 57 kg, I have a bad metabolism too ( I have gained some weight lately opsss hahaha) love from Celina! :))

Have a great day<3333!!:DD

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    At 156 cm (about 5'1.5") and 57kg (125.6lbs), how fast are you trying to lose weight now, that puts you at 1200 calories? If you want to improve your body composition (less fat, more muscle) at your current size, half a pound a week at most would be the maximum weight loss rate I'd suggest, and it might be more productive to maintain your weight for a while and put more emphasis on exercise, if your goals are primarily appearance or health oriented.

Yes, eat more when you add exerciseeverything. For strength training, the "strength training" entry under "cardiovascular" in the MFP exercise database is a reasonable calorie estimate for traditional reps/sets strength training (with rests between sets included in the timespan), or "circuit training" if what you're doing is more fast-paced and continuous high reps/low weight without rests in it. Eat those additional calories, at least.

I am 165cm (5'5") and about your same weight, but a much older woman (65). I'd lose way too fast at 1200.

The good news is, your metabolism isn't bad. (If your metabolism were broken, that's a medical condition with bad symptoms!) Eat adequate calories of nutritious food, get some strength and cardiovascular exercise, get enough sleep, manage stress . . . and your body will respond by doing all the good things it's intended to do.

For building muscles, it would be a good idea to follow a well-designed progressive strength program. If you don't have a formal program now, you can find some in this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

It includes some that use mostly bodyweight so are easy to do at home with little or no equipment.

Best wishes for good progress!
  • arisjr94
    arisjr94 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Don't focus so much on your weight because it will fluctuate as you gain muscle and lose fat. Take measurements of your body with a measuring tape and log them. You can weigh yourself, but keep in mind that body weight can change day to day. Use it only to keep track of trends. With regards to calories, you will have to be at your maintenance calories or less to burn fat. How quickly and safely you want to do it will determine how much of a caloric deficit you enter. Since you are not overweight and just want to burn the fat, I would not go too much of a caloric deficit. Keep in mind that as you gain muscle, you will also burn more calories while at rest.