Tasty Protein powders!

Options
Any recommendations? I've been put off for a while by a truly awful vegan one I had. (texture wasn't smooth and actually made me gag!) think it's time to try again. I'm not vegan but I am vegetarian.

Also I mixed it in a cocktail shaker. Baaaaad idea lol. Would a food processer be needed or just a whisk in a bowl? I'll need it smooth to get it down haha. No experience here (obviously!) but I like strength training and find it hard to hit protein goal without going over calories so I think a powder would be helpful.

Any help appreciated!

Replies

• spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I've been using Bulk whey protein. It's not vegan but vegetarian. Tastes fine, I use vanilla flavour and mix it into cereal/ pancakes/ yoghurts or occasionally just have it as a shake.

You can buy special shaker cups to mix them in or yes just use a whisk if you want it really smooth :)

(Edit: Should have said I'm in the UK so if you're anywhere else I'm not sure if they sell Bulk worldwide. I do recommend it though as it mixes nice and smooth).
  • elmusho1989
    elmusho1989 Posts: 321 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Thank you! In Ireland so hopefully I can get some. If not in store I'll try online. I'll whisk this time. Cocktail shaker exploded! As a bartender you think I'd know better😂

I like the idea of putting it in food rather than drinking it. Can I ask, are the flavours enough to mask the actual whey taste?
  • arisjr94
    arisjr94 Posts: 3 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I love Rule 1 Whey protein isolate. One of the better tasting powders I've tried. Comes in various flavors. I buy it online. Every time I buy a big jug I get a free shaker bottle too!

https://www.muscleandfitness.com/supplements/build-muscle/6-things-know-about-rule-1-proteins/

I hope this helps. I am not sure if they have any plant based powders but worth a look.
  • elmusho1989
    Options
    Oh nice, free shaker is great!
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I use Pure Protein vanilla cream, and I find it's not so bad. However, I always use it in my smoothie blender so it mixes up well. Not sure how it would do in just one of those shaker bottles. It's one of the cheapest on Amazon, but I think for the price it's pretty good (although not a huge connoisseur of protein powders). It is whey protein, so not sure if that makes a difference.

• spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Thank you! In Ireland so hopefully I can get some. If not in store I'll try online. I'll whisk this time. Cocktail shaker exploded! As a bartender you think I'd know better😂

I like the idea of putting it in food rather than drinking it. Can I ask, are the flavours enough to mask the actual whey taste?

Honestly I don't really know what whey tastes like! This is the first protein powder I've had so I'm not totally sure.

I would say though it's pleasant enough if you get the vanilla and mix it into things. Mixed with milk it's not quite as good as a real milkshake but it's palatable enough. There are artificial sweeteners in it which I can definitely taste and not a big fan of but I can live with it. You could go for unflavoured otherwise (but then it would probably taste more like whey!)

I suppose a stronger flavour like chocolate might mask any underlying flavour even more so that might be something to consider if you're worried about taste.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I use two regularly: unflavored whey and nutritional yeast flakes. Both have a mild flavor, an acquired taste to be sure when taken in pure form, but can be blended into other elements to make a satisfying and protein-bolstered meal with only minor flavor notes from these ingredients. I use both in my morning oatmeal, and have baked the whey extensively into my home-baked breads (like other dairy, it tends to brown the crust a bit faster, though). I also make whey-fruit shakes and such. I've added the yeast to strong-flavored sauces, such as tomato, and in moderate quantities, it does not impact the flavor or texture. Requires some experimentation. The yeast also gives lots of B vitamins. Bought in bulk, they are reasonably priced. I don't buy so much bulk that they go stale before utilized.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Whey protein powders taste WAY better than vegan ones. But for vegan powders the best tasting are finaflex oatmeal pie, owyn, vega, orgain.

This is my current favorite. It really tastes exactly like an oatmeal cookie. SOOo good mixed with water or milk and also mixed in yogurt or a few grams mixed with water as icing on top of strawberries/bananas/pancakes/etc.

Taste is not so much marshmallow as much as oatmeal cookie. I recommend adding a bit of cinnamon to it. f11af61zltbv.png

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I like The Protein Works Naked whey range - the naked bit refers to them using Stevia as the sweetener, I dislike the taste of sucralose which is more commonly used. If the sweetner doesn't concern you then it's one of those companies that always has discounts or special offers on so don't pay full price.

Mixes easily with milk in a protein shaker. The vanilla one goes nicely with breakfast cereal. I haven't tried cooking with it though.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Taste is going to be individual, but I prefer whey powders to any of the other protein powders. Right now I'm using Muscle Pharm Combat Cookies and Cream which I find delicious.

To mix, I use a shaker/blender bottle.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,714 Member
    Options
    Orgain, Nutrex plant based German Chicolate cake, True Athlete plant based chocolate and Steel Supplements Vegpro are remarkably good tasting plant based. For whey I used to like True Athlete chocolate, Biochem vanilla and Lifetime Fitness whey
  • elmusho1989
    Options
    Thanks guys, great ideas! I'm very intruiged by the oatmeal cookie flavour
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I like Quest salted caramel flavor and the cinnamon crunch. PEScience is also good, snickerdoodle and pb cookie are 2 I've tried. I used to use spirutein, mostly vanilla, but other flavors as well. They blend well just shaken, but you can use a blender, especially if you want to add frozen fruit and ice for a smoothie.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,714 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Whey protein powders taste WAY better than vegan ones. But for vegan powders the best tasting are finaflex oatmeal pie, owyn, vega, orgain.

This is my current favorite. It really tastes exactly like an oatmeal cookie. SOOo good mixed with water or milk and also mixed in yogurt or a few grams mixed with water as icing on top of strawberries/bananas/pancakes/etc.

Taste is not so much marshmallow as much as oatmeal cookie. I recommend adding a bit of cinnamon to it. f11af61zltbv.png

Wow I looked at this and did not know they had one. It's low with regard to protein compared to most other proteins and more carbs. For some people this can be ok- its more like a meal replacement nutritional profile.
  • elmusho1989
    Options
    I like Quest salted caramel flavor and the cinnamon crunch. PEScience is also good, snickerdoodle and pb cookie are 2 I've tried. I used to use spirutein, mostly vanilla, but other flavors as well. They blend well just shaken, but you can use a blender, especially if you want to add frozen fruit and ice for a smoothie.

Ah, see i think it was spirutein/pea protein texture I couldn't handle. Was like lumpy grit to me! I would like to try a vanilla smoothie though so you're giving me ideas!