Hello! Any moms (or dads) of many???

Hi all!

I'm back at MFP after a many year break, though I've never really used the forums. I have 5 kids ages 10 years-8 months and I'm in my mid-30s. I'd especially like to connect with other parents of multiple kids, just because I feel like that influences so much of our household dynamic and presents certain challenges when it comes to eating well and finding time to exercise. I'm a SAHM and homeschooler, though my oldest three kids will be going to school in September. All the same, though, I'd rather not wait another six months for conditions to be "perfect" to start (they're never going to be perfect! I've been waiting for perfect since baby #1 10 years ago! I'm done waiting!)

Right now I'm just over 200lbs - my pre-pregnancy weight was about 180. My ending goal weight is in the 130s (I'm 5'6".) I want to be realistic and am not in a rush, but I would like to reach my goal weight and maintain it for at least six months before we have another baby, if that's what happens for us. I don't have a particularly strict eating plan - 1800 calories, focus on getting more veggies in and lean protein, and gradually increasing exercise. The exercise is really the part I've struggled with in the past. I enjoy running (but not stroller running!) but it's been several years since I did so regularly. I found a series of exercise videos meant for postpartum moms and they have been a gentle introduction to HIIT and strength training, which are entirely new to me. I've been doing those three times per week for the last month or so, and want to get back into running via a Couch to 5k app three other days, now that there is more daylight and first thing in the morning feels like the only time I have.

Anyway I hope to connect with some people and am open to hearing your stories and insights!

Replies

• danicaheemi11
    danicaheemi11 Posts: 6 Member
    @alisdairsmommy - I myself am a early 30s Mum to 4 aged 10, 12, 14, 15 - I’ve yo - yo’d with my weight since my first child and gave up by the time I had my 4th 10years, always told myself let’s start you can do it just to fall back into old habits. I started my weight loss journey this year January to better myself for my children. I don’t have a food plan, or workout plan but I know I love all things cardio.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,044 Member
    edited March 2021
    I am a mom of 2 ...Son who is 21 and in the Navy and daughter who is 15 whom I have home schooled for the past 10 years :)

I belong to an amazing group on here called Fat2Fit...if you are interested in a group setting please look around and consider joining ..https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10825254/registration-for-new-members-march-2021#latest
  • missm0712
    missm0712 Posts: 5 Member
    I'm Marketa and I have five kids. Looking to make some new motivational mfp friends so we can stay on track together and help each other out when we're feeling like giving up. Please add me 😊
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    I have 4 kids. My wife like bikini body momma for workouts.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    @alisdairsmommy - I myself am a early 30s Mum to 4 aged 10, 12, 14, 15 - I’ve yo - yo’d with my weight since my first child and gave up by the time I had my 4th 10years, always told myself let’s start you can do it just to fall back into old habits. I started my weight loss journey this year January to better myself for my children. I don’t have a food plan, or workout plan but I know I love all things cardio.

This seems familiar to me! Around the time my babies start eating solids I find I have more energy and could really make some good progress, but by the time I got the ball rolling I would get pregnant again, without being all the way back to my pre-pregnancy weight of course, get incredibly tired, and then feel like I couldn't start again until that baby had weaned. Lather, rinse, repeat. :D

My thought this time is that I'd like to postpone another pregnancy until I reach my goal weight and have maintained it for a while, which would probably make pregnancy a lot easier even though I am older now. I have been pretty fortunate that my pregnancies have been fairly easy except for fatigue (I had hyperemesis during one pregnancy and was almost hospitalized before I was able to go on anti-nausea meds, and I lost so much weight it was concerning that time.) But my others have been good, and I've had uncomplicated deliveries (I almost said "easy," but I know that's definitely not the right word, ha!) Being at a healthy weight, I expect, would make for less fatigue and less feeling overwhelmed. The nice thing is I have kids who are old enough now to be helpful around the house, which is excellent training for their future independent lives anyhow. :D

I find I am thinking a lot about work/life balance, which is funny because in my case my work IS my life and it can be very hard to separate. But I have a big habit of not taking care of myself to take care of everyone else, which means my reserves get worn out very quickly. I'm finding I need a big mindset adjustment. I'm changing small habits first, like going to bed at a regular time every night, to make it easier to get up in the morning, and being a bit firmer about bedtimes etc. for the little kids.
  • penguinmama87
    missm0712 wrote: »
    I'm Marketa and I have five kids. Looking to make some new motivational mfp friends so we can stay on track together and help each other out when we're feeling like giving up. Please add me 😊

That sounds great! I'm new to these features of MFP but I'll work on figuring it out! Nice to meet you!
  • penguinmama87
    KHMcG wrote: »
    I have 4 kids. My wife like bikini body momma for workouts.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll have to check that out.
  • gracetipikin
    gracetipikin Posts: 29 Member
    I have 4 kiddos: 7, 3, 2 and 2 months. I have 20 pounds from last pregnancy and 10 pounds from the previous pregnancies to loose.
    I mostly go on walks or use Gina B's Dance That Walk dvds for my workouts. I'm not planning on counting caloriesmuch until baby is on solids, so just trying to focus on cleaner eating and staying active. It's hard to squeeze in time for exercise each day, fortunately I have a sister near by so we can workout together from time to time.
  • penguinmama87
    I have 4 kiddos: 7, 3, 2 and 2 months. I have 20 pounds from last pregnancy and 10 pounds from the previous pregnancies to loose.
    I mostly go on walks or use Gina B's Dance That Walk dvds for my workouts. I'm not planning on counting caloriesmuch until baby is on solids, so just trying to focus on cleaner eating and staying active. It's hard to squeeze in time for exercise each day, fortunately I have a sister near by so we can workout together from time to time.

Congratulations! I love when they're so squishy and new <3

I use the "breastfeeding exclusively" negative adjustment on my food diary, which gives me 500 calories, but my baby is older and I know counting calories hasn't impacted my milk supply at all. I think your plan makes a lot of sense! I am not all in on clean eating, but I do know that I feel better when I'm eating mostly whole, unprocessed foods, and having treats as an occasional thing rather than an all the time thing. And the better I feel, the easier it is to stay on plan!

I'm happy too because that kind of food is now what's normal for my kids. I grew up in a house that was really, really weird about food and I mostly ate a lot of junk, and most of my siblings and I struggle with weight now as adults, as our parents still do. I'm hopeful that it won't be something my kids have to deal with, or that if they do, they can look to me as someone who figured out how to manage in a healthy way, rather than giving up.