Motivation to Eat Less- Kitchen Tips

Options
This is a fun thread I thought I'd make to share what I recently did to keep me on my toes in the kitchen. My biggest problem with losing weight is eating right. Sure, I can eat 2200 calories and just work hard in the gym for hours to create a deficit, but who really wants to do that? It's easier if I just eat less from the start. But how do I do that? I've tried so many times and every time I overeat. Yesterday I got angry at myself. I knew I was gaining weight since I've been eating like a pig and needed to reverse the scale. I tried the usual "remove the food you binge on method" and still was unsuccessful in keeping my eating in check. But enough about me. About my new way to keep motivated:
I wrote on bright yellow sticky notes in black sharpie and stuck them all over my kitchen. On the cabinets with food in them, on the fridge doors, the pantry door, etc. I wrote things like "DO NOT OPEN" , "Chances are you are NOT hungry" "Hands off the PB, fatso!" "U NO NEED SO MUCH CEREAL!" "Think before eating b*tch!!!" "If you keep eating you're going to be as round as a balloon and explode, you fat*ss!" And a few of other things. The thing is, you need to personalize these notes so they fit your weaknesses. I've had days where I eat six cups of cereal, or multiple tablespoons of PB so that's why I made those notes. If I had a weakness when it came to hamburgers/steak I'd write something like "You are what you eat, you effing cow!" near where I keep that food. I decided I need to be kind of mean to myself. When I'm nice I slack off too much. So the things that go through my head at the end of the day once I overate I put on sticky notes to remind me during the day not to make the stupid mistakes I always make. And I googled pictures of obese people and stuck them in places I'd see in my kitchen, too. I know that sounds rude, but putting a picture of a skinny girl doesn't help me. It's better for me if I see a picture of what I'm going to become if I don't stop over-eating. If I reach for peanut butter and see a picture of a really heavy person on it, it makes my mind directly associate over-eating the pb to not looking so hot. Plus, I have my bikini hanging on the door handle to the pantry. It reminds me before I grab that box of crackers that I have to get into a bathing suit and it helps me envision that everything that goes in my mouth goes to my waist. (Which I know isn't true, but it helps) I also keep gum around the kitchen so when I feel like chewing, I just chew on gum instead of food.

I just wanted to share what I did to motivate me- think what you want, but it has helped me out.
Enough about me and what has worked to keep me eating less in the kitchen; do you have any tips you'd like to share? :)

Replies

• FreakoMarco
    Options
    That sounds epic... Usually when I feel like eating more I just look myself in the mirror and be ashamed. That stops me dead in my tracks from reaching for the fridge.
  • bingefreeaubree
    bingefreeaubree Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    That sounds epic... Usually when I feel like eating more I just look myself in the mirror and be ashamed. That stops me dead in my tracks from reaching for the fridge.
    Haha yeah I don't plan on keeping the sticky notes up forever, but just for a couple weeks until I get used to eating regularly and not constantly snacking on junk.
    Good idea about the mirror!! I must not be as shameful as you since we have a mirror in our kitchen and I always see myself, yet it has never ever stopped me from reaching into the fridge lol!
  • myfitnesspal_96
    Options
    That sounds amazing! Thank you for sharing! i agree with putting up skinny picture to me it is very unmotivating as i know that some time away and the larger photos are of what im getting away from now! Good Luck!
    Also you should try putting a bunch of grapes in the freezer and they taste amazing, they taste like kinda like a sweet/ ice lollies! They are delicious! Also you could maybe label on all your tempting food items the calories and fat it contains!
    xxxxxxxxxxx