Lethargy

Options
Reaching out for useful tips to help. I’ve felt lethargic for far too long and it’s only getting worse.

What helps you feel energized? What were some reasons you felt a lack of energy?

For those who have a considerable amount of energy, what does your routine look like?

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I'm assuming you've had recent blood work done by your Dr to rule out anything like hypothyroidism or iron-deficiency anemia?

My 2nd question would to be look at your sleep. Are you getting enough on a regular basis, and do you feel well-rested when you wake up.

The other thing would be to ensure you're hydrated and eating well, or look at the foods you're eating and when you feel the most lethargic. I know I personally feel very tired if I eat a carb-heavy meal that's not balanced with a good amount of protein, especially mid-day.

Assuming those things aren't a factor, there are a couple of things I've noticed about myself (and sleep is an issue for me). One is that I often get sleepy in the early afternoon, soon after lunch. To counteract that, I just plan on having a 2nd cup of coffee after lunch.

The other thing I've noticed about myself is that the more I sit, the sleepier I feel. So, getting up and moving frequently helps counteract that. It's even better if I can get out in the fresh air to do it. Speaking of, if you're not getting out in fresh air/sunlight regularly, that can definitely impact sleep and energy levels.

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 13 years ago, so I just make sure it's tested every year. Since I don't sleep great, I've created a nightly winddown ritual, make sure the room is cool, and use nasal strips and nose spray for chronic stuffiness and a deviated septum.

Hope you find something that works for you.

I
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    To double down on some of the questions, I haven’t had any recent blood work done, and perhaps it’s time I do. I wanted to try some at home things before taking up the doctors time, but the iron and vitamin D deficiency comment sounds exactly like how I feel.

It seems any amount of movement depletes me. I can barely keep my eyes open around 3pm, which is why I skip lunch often. Typically I’m in excellent health, and still might be, so I don’t really know what’s going on. I thought maybe it was all mental and I needed to just force myself into a new routine or something, but how can I when the energy isn’t there? It’s a catch 22. Am I being lazy, unmotivated, or is it something else?

Thank you for pointing out a few things that weren’t previously on my radar. It has certainly given me some food for thought.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    Ddsb11 wrote: »
    To double down on some of the questions, I haven’t had any recent blood work done, and perhaps it’s time I do. I wanted to try some at home things before taking up the doctors time, but the iron and vitamin D deficiency comment sounds exactly like how I feel.

It seems any amount of movement depletes me. I can barely keep my eyes open around 3pm, which is why I skip lunch often. Typically I’m in excellent health, and still might be, so I don’t really know what’s going on. I thought maybe it was all mental and I needed to just force myself into a new routine or something, but how can I when the energy isn’t there? It’s a catch 22. Am I being lazy, unmotivated, or is it something else?

Thank you for pointing out a few things that weren’t previously on my radar. It has certainly given me some food for thought.

Do get blood work done. Don't supplement iron without it - too much unneeded iron can be harmful.

That said, you sound exactly like I do when my anemia gets out of control. Having you also noticed your hair shedding more, or more split ends?

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/iron-deficiency-anemia/symptoms-causes/syc-20355034
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Depression?
  • TwistedSassette
    TwistedSassette Posts: 8,608 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Do get blood work done. Don't supplement iron without it - too much unneeded iron can be harmful.

That said, you sound exactly like I do when my anemia gets out of control. Having you also noticed your hair shedding more, or more split ends?

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/iron-deficiency-anemia/symptoms-causes/syc-20355034

That's a good point - I forgot about how my nails behaved when I was deficient in iron. I had little ridges across them that gradually grew out once I was on the supplements my doctor recommended.
  • Ddsb11
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

My hair and nails have been brittle for a long time, so started taking a multivitamin for that. I also get enough sleep, it’s just not quality sleep unfortunately. I’m starting to think this isn’t in my head at all.
  • Ddsb11
    edited March 2021
    Options
    vanmep wrote: »
    Depression?

Maybe? I’m not sure if I’m feeling depressed so I don’t have energy or if my lack of energy is making me feel depressed 🤦🏼‍♀️
  • ChickenKillerPuppy
    ChickenKillerPuppy Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Not sure how long you have been feeling this way, but have you been tested for Covid? Fatigue and extreme fatigue are symptoms that many people describe.
  • rlpomeroy
    rlpomeroy Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I just got diagnosed with very low vitamin D about a month ago. The Dr put me on a high dose supplement and it has made a huge difference.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,624 Member
    Options
    Not taking up your doctor's time sounds.... like bad strategy at this stage! :wink:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? Do you workout?
  • Ddsb11
    Options
    rlpomeroy wrote: »
    I just got diagnosed with very low vitamin D about a month ago. The Dr put me on a high dose supplement and it has made a huge difference.

It’s good to hear it’s making an impact! Hopefully it will be the same case for me and easily corrected. Thanks for the feedback.
  • Ddsb11
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

I’m currently eating maintenance, maybe slightly above. I haven’t had the energy to work out, and only take 2- 20 min walks a day with my dog. Maybe I need to force workouts for a few weeks in the hopes something clicks, but even those dog walks are a struggle sometimes.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

I’m currently eating maintenance, maybe slightly above. I haven’t had the energy to work out, and only take 2- 20 min walks a day with my dog. Maybe I need to force workouts for a few weeks in the hopes something clicks, but even those dog walks are a struggle sometimes.

Do you track calories? Do you know how many grams of fat and protein you are consuming? Do you eat animals foods?
  • ALZ14
    ALZ14 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Are you at risk for Type 2 diabetes? Extremely high blood sugar can make you really tired.
  • Ddsb11
    Options

Do you track calories? Do you know how many grams of fat and protein you are consuming? Do you eat animals foods?

I haven’t logged since I got married over a year ago. He does ALL the cooking, he just loves it so much, and trying to track his concoctions haven’t been worth the struggle. It’s been bittersweet lol.

To answer your question though, we eat animal protein, and get our veggies in. But it’s certainly not cuisine I have been used to. He’s Cambodian and Vietnamese so it’s fair to say my diet has completely changed. No idea how many fat or protein grams tbh.