Weight loss before surgery.

Options
So I am going to have some surgery in may.
I read online that a contributing factor. With this health problem is obesity. It can be caused by other things and is not exclusive to fat women.

But since I am a fat woman that has given birth more than twice and spends my work days mostly standing. I have several of the comon causes down. And loosing weight is the only factor I can easily change.

Now loosing weight will not make my uterus move back where it should be.
But I am thinking that loosing the weight before surgery. Might keep it from falling down again.
So my plan now is to lose as much weight as possible before the surgery.
And then focusing on not gaining while in recovery. Recovery is stated to avoid strenuous activity for a while). So if I have to lose weight in recovery it will only be food I can do it with and I need food.

Later I will handle the last of it. Because I am 14 kg away from ideal weight and realistically I will lose 5-10 kg if I am strict with myself for the ten weeks leading up to surgery.

Would love to keep a thread. With others with a deadline. Be it medical or wedding or something.

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Do you have the support of a dietician? My concern with aiming for 10kg in 10 weeks is that you could depleting your body of nutrients that you need to get through the surgery and heal up afterwards.

Are you 14kg over your ideal weight or the ideal weight range for your height? There is a difference for many people, and if it is the former, then 1kg a week may be very aggressive. Even with the latter, it is pretty darn aggressive.

My body does what it wants, no matter how well I am eating and moving. Commit to the lifestyle changes to carry this through after your surgery rather than obsessing over hitting a specific number by a specific date. Forget being "really strict with myself" and focus on "taking care of myself." I have actually started keeping a self care journal that I write in every morning to remind myself that no matter how tempting it is or how good it feels in the moment, overeating is actually the opposite of self care.

Be aware that surgery itself will cause some people to lose weight (a day before without eating, and a couple of days after with minimal intake) and some people to gain weight (inflammation, saline solution used to wash off internal body parts so that the surgeon can see what they are doing...).

Best of luck with your health!
  • Cheery83
    Cheery83 Posts: 208 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Ideal weight for my height range. With 14 kg down placing my at the top of healthy BMI 25 kgs.

I know 1 kg weekly is a stretch which Is why I said 5-10 kg because I know that 0.5 kg weekly is ideal for weight loss.
    Whilst the 1 kg is considered the maximum.

I have not consulted a dietician. But I am educated in food and have a pretty good grasp on micro and macro nutrients. Also I only have a 250 cal deficit from food compared to cals required for my weight and height. The rest of the deficiency I get from activity. Strenuous job + half an hour exercise.

Surgery will make me bloat. I am certain of this. My body is like that. Doing prep for a colonoscopy. 24 hours no food+ lactatives I gained 3 kgs. Everyone told me to weigh before and after because the weight loss would be epic. I considered the weight gain to be incredible. It disappeared two days after. But still my body is incredible at containing water. If is gets a hint something is happening.