Intermittent Fasting Question

Options
Does anyone know a lot about intermittent fasting because I have a question. By definition, I don't do intermittent fasting because every morning I have a cup of tea with collagen and creamer. But, what I do do is not usually eat until 11:00 AM while cutting off eating about 8:00. Thats about 9 hours of eating and that's it except for that morning tea. Is there still at least some benefit to that or does that tea mess the whole thing up to the point it doesn't matter? I'm just wondering if I should be strict about those times since it's already there or not worry about it. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    What benefits are you looking for? The main benefit of IF is that by limiting the eating window, most people will limit their calories. If that works for you, great.

Certainly some of the strongest proponents of IF have also recommended that one start the day with an extremely calorific bulletproof coffee. Yours sounds mild by comparison.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,511 Member
    Options
    For most people, intermittent fasting is to control calories and get used to NOT EATING for a long period of time. The tea and creamer likely has minimal calories and IMO should have hardly any impact.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • GeekDadCS
    GeekDadCS Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    What benefits are you looking for?

I can't say I was looking for any particular one. I was mostly interested in whether there was a benefit be it weight control, fat burning, or better workouts.
    Certainly some of the strongest proponents of IF have also recommended that one start the day with an extremely calorific bulletproof coffee. Yours sounds mild by comparison.

That I had not heard. That's very interesting. Thank you for the information!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    A cup of tea doesn't have the power to mess up anything unless you count spilling it down the front of your shirt.

The benefit of time restricted eating is in making rationing out your calorie allowance easier for you, don't look for ways to make a difficult job (dieting) harder than it already is.

Fat burning comes from a sustained and sustainable calorie deficit over a long period of time, not from when you eat or if you enjoy a morning cup of tea.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Although completely unintentional, I suppose IF is what I do. I usually take two meals between 10am and 6pm with nothing except a cup of plain tea before 7pm. I exercise around 3pm for 30 minutes most every day.

The benefits:

More consistent morning weigh-ins

Fewer overnight bathroom visits

No more night-time acid reflux