Getting Bariatric Surgery!

Options
So I finally got approved for a surgery date which is set on April 28, 2021. Doing this entire bit of gathering doctors notes, clearance letters and lab work with covid has been... stressful. But hey! It’s done !! B)

I am currently mentally preparing myself, as well as physically. I feel as if because of my weight, it’s contributed to a lot of my anxiety of how people view me outside and I’ve become some what afraid to meet new people or even do fun things. I’m still young I guess, but I feel as if I didn’t really get to live my life. Still, I need to start making changes now before I regret wasting my youth. I’m super committed to this!

I’m looking for more friends who have gotten or are in the process of getting bariatric surgery for support. I’m 22, and most of my family kind of think that I am cheating my way into losing weight or that the risk isn’t worth it because I’m so young :D:| but I’m diabetic and have PCOS so I just really wanna be healthy.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,720 Member
    Options
    Really really understand that this is NOT a reversible procedure. And hopefully you're seeing a therapist to hash out why you may have an eating issue because if it's NOT solved, many people who have surgery tend to apply the comfort from food (which they won't be able to anymore) to something else. I've had several clients who went from food eating disorders to becoming alcoholics because drinking was easier. Some also gambled as a result which can be even more disastrous.
    I would entirely encourage you to think again because you are so young and since overeating is more habitual than anything, that habit can be changed. Just because you get surgery, it MAY NOT solve your issue with anxiety.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png