Losing Weight at 68

Options
CindyNRV
CindyNRV Posts: 4 Member
As a healthy older woman, I feel our age group unique faces challenges regarding fitness (mental, spiritual, emotional) and weight loss. I was about 150 a year ago, which at 5'5" was ok, but after a year of working from home, deaths in my family, financial struggles I am pushing 200.

A couple of weeks ago I made a decision. I must lose this weight, get stronger in all areas of my life as referenced above. My sister gifted me with an Apple Watch, I paid for MyFitnessPal for accountability and more features to support my efforts and am reaching out to others with aging bodies to join me in setting and reaching a personal goal for a healthier future.

Last week was 100% success. I lost three pounds (we know how that can fluctuate) and with healthy foods I wasn't ravaged by cravings and hunger, so I call Week 1 a success.

I am eager for Week 2 and hope to exercise some (last week was too cold for me!) and stick with a varied, healthy diet.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Nice work! Sounds like you are taking a sensible approach.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,794 Member
    Options
    You’re off to a good start! Amazing what a change in attitude can do.

I haaaaaate being cold. However, taking a walk in cold uncomfortable weather makes me feel like I’ve gone out on a limb and truly accomplished something for myself, instead of staying in cosy and immobile. I layer up- nice hat under my hood, scarf, double gloves. I may have half my wardrobe around my waist by the time I get home, but I feel good. I’ve done something for me and **** the elements.

Don’t let the weather imprison you. It’s gonna be there no matter what and just becomes another excuse. Like the annoying but true slogan says, just do it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,721 Member
    Options
    Nice work taking control of the situation, and committing to improvement! It may be true that our age creates unique challenges (I'm 65), but I think it also may give us unique self-insights, skills, and character. On balance, I'd argue that that can give us an advantage, on net, if we recognize and exploit those positives.

I'm happy that it's been warming a bit here, so I can happily get outside a bit more; but over time I've developed a range of tolerable things I can do indoors, at home, too . . . and a useful tendency, having been at the exercise thing for a while, to know that I'll be less cranky/moody, and feel better physically besides, if I get in at least a bit of activity during the cold, dark months. Perhaps, over time, you can find some congenial indoor fallback activities, too?

Kudos on your strong first week, and your plans for the next: Wishing you huge success!
  • 1poundatax
    1poundatax Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I love your attitude and I know you can do this. Like you I don't like to walk outside if it is too cold or too hot LOL. I do a lot of Youtube videos including Leslie Sansone, Phala B., Renew Active and Silver Sneakers. Depending on my mood and energy level I can find workouts that go from 10 min. to 45 min. Rarely do I stop with a 10 min. video once I get started, I ususally do at least 30 min. I needed to take the excuses out of exercise for my health but I feel so much better now.

I really find it easier to lose weight now than when I was younger. I have slowly made lifestyle changes rather than being on a "diet." I feel and look better than I have in years. I see my Dr. next week and I am excited/anxious to hear results of my bloodwork. I am hoping for improved numbers!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,794 Member
    Options
    brenn24179 wrote: »
    I am 67 and I know what you mean by cold weather, so tired of it. I made myself bundle up this winter and did pretty good. Here comes a man up the street with a walker so I thought if he can do it. I do feel better keeping that weight off, it is sneaky, creeps up fast.

I’d like to give that man out on a walker in the cold an “inspiring”!
  • ginamyrmel
    ginamyrmel Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm excited for you. You have a great attitude and I admire your goals and wish you great success.
  • ginamyrmel
    ginamyrmel Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Oh, and BTW, I'm 69. I started at 215 pounds last July and have lost 47 pounds. I'm looking forward to saying "I've lost 50 pounds and know, in time, that day will come. No rush, but logging what I eat and trying to keep my calories under 1000/day and carbs under 20/day seems to be working for me. I can eat this way for the rest of my life. Hope you have a wonderful day. Looks like you're off to a great start. Let me know if you'd like to be friends.