Advice please people..

5ft 7" 140lbs male... ive got these scales that tell you your body fat, I no there not accurate but it does saying im 20% body fat... I have put on some fat around the back of my waist...

Due to the gyms being shut and hoping there opening in April do I keep eating alot or should hold back some kcals to lose some fat... keep in mind im only 140lbs so im slim anyway..
Just dont no what to do, confused by it..

Thank you please

Replies

• wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    edited March 2021
    What do you do to stay active? Bodyweight strength training?

I wouldn’t read to much into that body composition reading from the scale. If you’re truly interested get some calipers. Accu-measure makes a pair you can use with a single measurement.
  • Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member
    I highly doubt you are 20% at that weight and height. I suggest you measure your waist, first thing in the morning. If the measurement is half your height in cm or inches you're good and probably below 20%.
  • Movemoreguy22
    Movemoreguy22 Posts: 387 Member
    edited March 2021
    Ahhh cheers guys... @wiigelec at the moment its just work which is manual work so that is my gym at the mo...
    I've tried doing bodywork at home but there's no motivation there, need the gym as I'm there so I have to do it.
    Home workout are too easy to say na cant be arsed...
    Workout is normally calisthenics or rings but gonna throw in weights this time round...

@Mellouk89 I give that ago.. im sure I'm below 10% if I measure like that haha
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Looking in the mirror will tell you if you are fatter than you want to be, you really don't have to put a number on it to know that.

I'm with you on the home training, it bores me to death. I'm more consistent in UK's Lockdown #3 as losing strength in #1 and #2 taught me a lesson but it's very much training for results rather than for pleasure. Setting myself a push up challenge helped to give me a focus otherwise it's just a chore.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    What is your waist circumference?
  • jtechmart
    jtechmart Posts: 67 Member
    Yes, waist circumference is the primary metric I use to gauge body-fat. I use the mirror, the scale, and waist measurements to gauge progress.

You can buy those tape measures that are built for that purpose: to measure your waist/stomach. I use MYOTAPE. Just buy one of those if you want to measure the fat around your waist.

But, I'm not sure what you are trying to figure out. Are you worried you may loose gains? Are you worried you are just gaining fat? Maybe a little of both?

If you don't want to loose muscle, but want to loose some bodyfat, then maybe your job will be your muscle work and then just go on a small cut. Moderate calorie restriction plus your job maybe all you need. You could add some compound exercises at home if you want to keep the muscles worked. A door based pull-up bar that doubles as a push up machine can go a long way.
  • Movemoreguy22
    @jtechmart I was thinking about this... all day I lift concrete posts so its deadlift after deadlift so my whole body is working out 5 days a week.
    I was thinking when gyms are reopen in April, I would train one body park a day so isolation stuff as I'm doing a full body at work and if im honest I'm knackered after a hard day of graft..

With the waist comment, I defo lost whatever muscle I had before lockdown so more panicking about fatness.
    I no 140lbs aint heavy so prob just getting parniod about that 20% body fat scale which is prob wrong...
  • Chieflrg
    @jtechmart I was thinking about this... all day I lift concrete posts so its deadlift after deadlift so my whole body is working out 5 days a week.
    I was thinking when gyms are reopen in April, I would train one body park a day so isolation stuff as I'm doing a full body at work and if im honest I'm knackered after a hard day of graft..

With the waist comment, I defo lost whatever muscle I had before lockdown so more panicking about fatness.
    I no 140lbs aint heavy so prob just getting parniod about that 20% body fat scale which is prob wrong...

A waist circumference can tell quite a bit about your health risk and if you are carrying extra body fat to be concerned about.

Training one body part per day probably isn't the best strategy as far as proper load management.

How many days a week were you planning on training and time per session?
  • Movemoreguy22
    Chieflrg wrote: »

A waist circumference can tell quite a bit about your health risk and if you are carrying extra body fat to be concerned about.

Training one body part per day probably isn't the best strategy as far as proper load management.

Well every body part would be 6/7 days a week... time wise 30mins or so..
    I've tired doing 4 days a week 1hr training sessions push and pull workout. I felt warn out... thats why I was thinking one part part
  • gionrogado
    gionrogado Posts: 45 Member
    buy some dumb bells and a yoga mat online. download some workout apps. worked for me
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    ...all day I lift concrete posts so its deadlift after deadlift so my whole body is working out 5 days a week.
    Unless you plan on progressively overloading your work, it probably won’t provide any meaningful stimulus beyond what you have already adapted to.
  • Chieflrg
    edited March 2021

I've tired doing 4 days a week 1hr training sessions push and pull workout. I felt warn out... thats why I was thinking one part part

That is very reasonable especially if it promotes adhearance.

Just by your time limit your volume & fatigue would probably be in a appropriate range as well 👍.
  • Chieflrg
    wiigelec wrote: »
    ...all day I lift concrete posts so its deadlift after deadlift so my whole body is working out 5 days a week.
    Unless you plan on progressively overloading your work, it probably won’t provide any meaningful stimulus beyond what you have already adapted to.

I agree though with certain types of strenuous jobs(e.g., carpenter, concrete, brick layer, etc...) there can certainly meaningful stimulus. Measuring it would be almost non existant.

I know some huge guys in the trade that don't even resistance train. I think in their case resistance training could in many cases make their job easier depending on how the stimulus dosed which is the OP reasonung for frequency.

Again, not disagreeing with your thought. It is valid, but too many examples to dismiss results.
  • Movemoreguy22

Just by your time limit your volume & fatigue would probably be in a appropriate range as well 👍.

I think it could help me, rather than smashing more deadlifts or squads cos im doing it all day everyday at work...
    Maybe different movements will shock my body and help it grow, plus more food
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    I bought a pretty cheap low end power rack a year or two ago and even though low end- best purchase I ever made. I can squat, bench, press, chin-up, and all safely in my garage at home. I'm still using my old non-olympic bar and about 300 lbs of non-olympic 25s/10s/5s plates. I've found I can always get a few sets in while little kids are on their bikes/playing basketball in the driveway/playing outside and I often can even fit in some garage tidying between sets. It completely saved my progress during Covid. Most weeks I find myself too busy to run to the gym (even though my gym is only 10 minutes away)... my kids say "Daddy can we come" or my wife says "are you going to the gym again" Lol but I can always sneak away to "tidy the garage". (Kidding- my wife is very supportive but I feel bad leaving her with the kids when I'm home from work so I can go indulge my hobbies alone!)

Mark Lauren's bodyweight exercises book is very helpful too if you have no hope of barbells, etc.
  • Chieflrg

I think it could help me, rather than smashing more deadlifts or squads cos im doing it all day everyday at work...
    Maybe different movements will shock my body and help it grow, plus more food

Hard to say without running data and seeing.

One doesn't "shock" the body to help it grow.

Hypertrophy is a result of stimulus dosed with sufficient volume at the appropriate intensity.