Sharing meal planning with other household members.

My husband and I are starting to track our meals in the app. I plan future meals in advance to try to stay on track. Is there a way that I can share the meals I planned for the day so that he does not have to search and enter the same items. I want it so he can alter the portions that he is actually eating for his goals.

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    I believe if you share your diary with others they can pull items from there to add to their own - I've never done this so I have no idea what it looks like, though.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    I believe if you share your diary with others they can pull items from there to add to their own - I've never done this so I have no idea what it looks like, though.

i would think that would be the easiest way.

Unless you create them as recipes, in which case it wouldn't work as well. at all, actually.

creating things as meals would work for many things, but not mixed things such as casseroles, soups, chili, etc
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    @callsitlikeiseeit so friends can't pull recipe entries from your diary? Like if i created a recipe like "broccoli cheese soup per 100g" and shared my diary with a friend who also had some of my soup, they couldn't grab that entry and use it?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    @callsitlikeiseeit so friends can't pull recipe entries from your diary? Like if i created a recipe like "broccoli cheese soup per 100g" and shared my diary with a friend who also had some of my soup, they couldn't grab that entry and use it?

no. at least no way that I'm aware of. All they would see in your diary is the name of the recipe and how many servings and the calories/macros.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Well, there USED to be a feature that allowed you to text/share a meal to someone and then they could add it to their diary. DH and I used that feature every single day. Evidently, not enough people did because the feature was removed. Humph.

So instead, he is now my friend and can see my diary and copy stuff out of it. What has helped the most though, was saving meals as "meals" in his own diary. He can add meals then tweak quantities. This was particularly helpful for "recipes" added when the share feature was supported and that he still has. We rotate the same 20 or so dinners often, and they involve components for which I entered "recipes" (hatch chile sauce, ancho chile sauce, tomatillo sauce, tikka masala sauce, etc). I batch make that stuff and save 6 servings in the freezer which speeds routine dinner prep, so the MFP recipe is accurate for several uses. For stuff you make often, it may be worth it for him to enter the recipe. On some recipes, we never end up with the same calories per serving because he picked different entries. But it's close enough. PITA, but it boils down to how much accuracy he wants.

My DH doesn't care that much about accuracy and macros. My dinners average around 400 kcal for me and 600kcal for him (I serve him 60% of the dish or I serve the dish equally but give him double meat, that kind of thing). So he will sometimes just re-use the meal he entered last time we ate the dish and not worry about the particulars if calories approximately accurate.